Windows 10 coming soon...

Bucky Badger

Go Kyle Go
preview came out today
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
Note that you may need to be signed into Windows Insider Program. You can use an existing Windows Mail account such as Outlook.com, Live.com, etc.

Also note that this is a preview, not release candidate, primarily orientated toward techies. It may contain glitches and other faults that could effect its usability like your current windows probably is;). You should also install it in an isolated manner to protect your current OS

So they're going to skip 9 bucky? :p

I do like that the old look is kinda of back though.

I forget how many users are still running XP quite a few, something like 30%. A bit of a learning curve, but you can download a version of Linux that is similar to XP and the old box will continue to run, even quicker than it does now. Firefox and Chrome work great from what I hear.

I replaced my XP laptop with one of the last Windows 7 laptops (before I was planning an upgrade) because I didn't want Windows 8 on a real computer. Win8 feels like a phone operating system which is appropriate for just a phone. I'm sure that Win8 has some useful features but I want control of what is on my desktop.

Computer hardware has been improving exponentially but user interfaces have wallowed.

Microsoft will probably kill off Vista and Windows 7 when Windows 10 is officially released.

Hopefully, Windows 10 will be more like Windows 7 because I have no intentions of using Windows 8.
I agree. Or just leave my Windows 7 alone. I'm tired of all of the changes being made just for the techies that leave all of the rest of us scratching our heads.

I had to replace my computer running XP when it died. I bought another computer from a local place and was steered to 7 over 8. Glad I did.
I have taken the HD out of my old computer and put it in a even older computer running XP. Damn XP works great for the average home user. My 'new' computer will find a new home at my daughters place when I get a decent sized, and priced, monitor.

Microsoft will probably kill off Vista and Windows 7 when Windows 10 is officially released.

Hopefully, Windows 10 will be more like Windows 7 because I have no intentions of using Windows 8.

Hey! I have vista on my lap top...I hate it sometimes, but shes a great lap top. I just do not like spending money just bc some techie feels my OS is outta date

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8/8.1 functionality wise. It does everything Windows 7 does, without issues. The only beef is the whole start menu gui. That is fixed with a simple install of free software called Classic Shell. I love Windows 8.1, and will be moving on to Windows 10 when it is officially out.

Hey! I have vista on my lap top...I hate it sometimes, but shes a great lap top. I just do not like spending money just bc some techie feels my OS is outta date
When they quit supporting Vista and they will, and you don't feel like plopping down a bunch of cash on hardware to be able to run the latest windows whiz bang, switch to linux. Your lap top will thank you for it..no more virus crap, pop ups, protecto software and speed robbing memory hogging. If you have an android phone, you are running linux and probably don't know it. I had a vista laptop that was wiped out dead by a virus, and my geek buddy brought it back to life with linux. I had more cool program stuff available than my outdated Vista. My step son fell in love with it and took it to college with him. Dell is selling new Linux laptops..cheaper because Linux is free.

When they quit supporting Vista and they will, and you don't feel like plopping down a bunch of cash on hardware to be able to run the latest windows whiz bang, switch to linux. Your lap top will thank you for it..no more virus crap, pop ups, protecto software and speed robbing memory hogging. If you have an android phone, you are running linux and probably don't know it. I had a vista laptop that was wiped out dead by a virus, and my geek buddy brought it back to life with linux. I had more cool program stuff available than my outdated Vista. My step son fell in love with it and took it to college with him. Dell is selling new Linux laptops..cheaper because Linux is free.

Thanks SOI.

I forget how many users are still running XP quite a few, something like 30%. A bit of a learning curve, but you can download a version of Linux that is similar to XP and the old box will continue to run, even quicker than it does now. Firefox and Chrome work great from what I hear.
Yessir. Preach it! :)

I gave up on Windows a long time ago and put Ubuntu, a free Linux operating system, on my desktop and never looked back. I don't use my desktop much these days, but that's only because I have a Kindle Fire that I love using. Ubuntu is awesome, though. Like you said, the layout and functionality of it is very similar to that of Windows. Everyone should give it a try.

Windows 8 was made for touch screen usage. Without touch screen its odd to utilize. I have had 7 since freshman year & so far its put me through college. Will probably grab a new laptop after college but I'm excited to see how MSFTW 10 pans out.

The most interesting part of that video walk through was that guy's mouse.

Heres another:

Last edited:
Windows 8 isn't something I intend on ever using. Microsoft felt the need to completely reinvent Windows and designed it ONLY with tablets in mind. From what I've seen of Windows 10, Microsoft realizes that was a huge mistake.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 8/8.1 functionality wise. It does everything Windows 7 does, without issues. The only beef is the whole start menu gui. That is fixed with a simple install of free software called Classic Shell. I love Windows 8.1, and will be moving on to Windows 10 when it is officially out.

That's not even close to the only problem with it. Even if you install the "classic shell" program, there are a lot of other problems. Microsoft reinvented the entire operating system as a whole.

Importing photos from an SD card is a hysterical comedy -- meaning watching photographers at the track who have Windows 8 try to import their photos on to their laptop at races is hysterical because of the profanity-laced tirades they go on. :D

Things you used to be able to do in Windows a certain way for 15 years, you can no longer do. Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 - the fundamentals were all the same (as bad as Windows ME and Vista sucked). Now, they've changed the basics of ... everything.

Just because I don't have Windows 8 doesn't mean I've never used it. I'm sorry, Windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft has ever released. I've forgotten more about computers than most people will ever know and, if someone like me has to read a book or take a class to figure out how to use Windows 8, imagine what it's like for an average user.

I guess Windows 8 is great if you own a Microsoft Surface tablet. But, most people still use computers and those people use Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I still don't know where everything is in Windows 8. I used 7 for years, but I broke my computer and just got a new one with 8 like a week ago.

I have to say I've been happy with the evolution MS has made with Excel. PowerPivot is amazing. Too bad they can't make those kinds of strides with an OS.

I have to say I've been happy with the evolution MS has made with Excel. PowerPivot is amazing. Too bad they can't make those kinds of strides with an OS.

Windows 7 was a fantastic upgrade from Windows XP. And I didn't have to read a ****** book to learn how to use it.

Once you go Mac you never go back.
All I use in school are the Mac labs but I'm a PC guy. I prefer the design of Mac laptops but the weight and price turns me off. Plus I prefer a windows OS over the Mac OS. When it comes to CIS, IT and CSCE work, Macs arent compatible with anything.

Dont get me started on having a ctrl AND a command key :mad::owquitit::mad:

All I use in school are the Mac labs but I'm a PC guy. I prefer the design of Mac laptops but the weight and price turns me off. Plus I prefer a windows OS over the Mac OS. When it comes to CIS, IT and CSCE work, Macs arent compatible with anything.

Dont get me started on having a ctrl AND a command key :mad::owquitit::mad:
Good point. I do find myself keeping my PC laptop handy for some programs required for school that aren't OS X compatible. That being said, I find OS X to be a far superior operating system, and I haven't had any regrets paying a bit of a premium for a smoother computing experience.
But I'm definitely not a big Apple fan boy who will scream at you about how stupid you are for preferring PCs :cheers:

Good point. I do find myself keeping my PC laptop handy for some programs required for school that aren't OS X compatible. That being said, I find OS X to be a far superior operating system, and I haven't had any regrets paying a bit of a premium for a smoother computing experience.
But I'm definitely not a big Apple fan boy who will scream at you about how stupid you are for preferring PCs :cheers:
If it gets my assignments turned in on time, sign my ass up.

That's not even close to the only problem with it. Even if you install the "classic shell" program, there are a lot of other problems. Microsoft reinvented the entire operating system as a whole.

Importing photos from an SD card is a hysterical comedy -- meaning watching photographers at the track who have Windows 8 try to import their photos on to their laptop at races is hysterical because of the profanity-laced tirades they go on. :D

Things you used to be able to do in Windows a certain way for 15 years, you can no longer do. Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 - the fundamentals were all the same (as bad as Windows ME and Vista sucked). Now, they've changed the basics of ... everything.

Just because I don't have Windows 8 doesn't mean I've never used it. I'm sorry, Windows 8 is the worst thing Microsoft has ever released. I've forgotten more about computers than most people will ever know and, if someone like me has to read a book or take a class to figure out how to use Windows 8, imagine what it's like for an average user.

I guess Windows 8 is great if you own a Microsoft Surface tablet. But, most people still use computers and those people use Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Lol, no they didn't. They just reinvented the start menu. Once you get past the new start menu it is the same old desktop. You can use it exactly the same as Windows 7. You can import your pictures the exact same way. Trust me I have been using it for the past year.

Edit: also I am an IT professional.

I still don't know where everything is in Windows 8. I used 7 for years, but I broke my computer and just got a new one with 8 like a week ago.

Install Classic Shell and it removes the God awful start menu and puts your right back to the Windows 7 experience you miss.

Ubuntu is pretty solid. I had it on one of my laptops.
Lol, no they didn't. They just reinvented the start menu. Once you get past the new start menu it is the same old desktop. You can use it exactly the same as Windows 7. You can import your pictures the exact same way. Trust me I have been using it for the past year.

No. And I've used it, so I know.

Ubuntu is pretty solid. I had it on one of my laptops.

No. And I've used it, so I know.

Yeah, I mean who would know the journalist or the IT professional?

The metro ui is the "redesign" that you are talking about. Which for tablets and phones is the only GUI available. For laptops and desktops the metro ui is only for the start menu environment, once you get to the desktop environment (just a click of a button) it is just your standard Windows.

Edit: also I am an IT professional.
Ive got photographer friends who use W8 and they can upload their photos fine. Some came to me to walk them through the new menu but as soon as I did they took it from their. I dont see the huge obstacle he's talking about either. :idunno:

I'd love Mac if it wasn't so backwards from a PC and I am a PC dude so I cant fully commit to Apple in that way and it sucks because I'm in the apple ecosystem.

My computing goes back about 20 years to the Commodore 64, a command line computing system (DOS). I’ve also had Macs and PCs. I fondly remember my Commodore Amiga which was the Ferrari of computers. When the PC had DOS, could beep, had an 8 color display, and 64k of memory and the Mac had a GUI, one channel of sound (that could talk), a small black & white screen, and 128k of memory; the Amiga had a GUI, stereo sound (could also talk), 4096 colors, 256k memory, multiple processors and multitasking. It was considered a gaming machine and not worthy for business (which caused it's failure). Now, it is understood that gaming taxes a computer more than a spreadsheet.The Amiga introduced many things that are standard today.

Every time a new version of Windows comes out I go through a couple months of annoyances trying to find where they hid the stuff I find useful. When I went from XP to 7 I bought The Missing Manual for Windows 7 that explained where to find the utilities I use plus it explained how some of the new tools worked better than what I was used to. And since Windows doesn’t offer a proper manual (just an internet search) I’d recommend the Missing Manual series to avoid hassles with an OS.

Just yesterday, our photographers were going through their race pictures and Windows 8 imported everything to different galleries and imported stuff out of order... something Windows 7 does not do. I'm going to take their word for Windows 8 sucking, having used the operating system myself, over Jeffery and Chex's word.

And before we pull the condescending "IT professional" crap, I'd like to remind y'all that I used to work in IT. Reason I don't anymore is because I hated it and pursued journalism instead.

Regardless, I won't have to buy a new computer for at least another year or two since the 2GB of RAM I added to my laptop last week is making it perform so smoothly. :)

Just yesterday, our photographers were going through their race pictures and Windows 8 imported everything to different galleries and imported stuff out of order... something Windows 7 does not do. I'm going to take their word for Windows 8 sucking, having used the operating system myself, over Jeffery and Chex's word.

And before we pull the condescending "IT professional" crap, I'd like to remind y'all that I used to work in IT. Reason I don't anymore is because I hated it and pursued journalism instead.

Regardless, I won't have to buy a new computer for at least another year or two since the 2GB of RAM I added to my laptop last week is making it perform so smoothly. :)

Or maybe you weren't good at it? Oh well what I speak is the truth, so there is that. Working on my Windows 8.1 machine right this moment. Either way I don't give a crap what you use really.

Watch the attitude Jeffrey. You may not mean too, but you're repeating the mistakes made by too many IT people - causing a lot of dislike and distrust. Mistake #1: showing arrogance. Mistake #2: falling lock-step into the Microsoft world vision. You are a service provider who relies upon less-competent Windows users for a living. Don't enrage your customers or eventually you'll run out of customers. They may continue to need help with Windows but they can get it from somebody else.

I've been around this OS stuff since before the PC was invented. For some reason it seems that the even-numbered versions of many OS (especially OS that Microsoft is involved with) end up considered not as good as the odd-numbered versions... sometimes that's due to the odd-numbered version being a "fixed" version of the preceding even-numbered version... I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I have to keep up with it since I support my employer's users and my employer chose Microsoft. Got to give the Devil his due... Microsoft has done an amazing marketing job that keeps customers hooked even though they accept that the OS will be difficult (and require help from expensive experts) as well as probably being buggy (and will even pay for fixes to the original defective product). Many of the other comments in this thread are typical of what I hear everyday - users are tired of this circus but suffer through it because they feel they have no choice. I know that Linux and Mac folks argue about "no choice", but both of those have enough learning curve to concern many potential users and companies.

Watch the attitude Jeffrey. You may not mean too, but you're repeating the mistakes made by too many IT people - causing a lot of dislike and distrust. Mistake #1: showing arrogance. Mistake #2: falling lock-step into the Microsoft world vision. You are a service provider who relies upon less-competent Windows users for a living. Don't enrage your customers or eventually you'll run out of customers. They may continue to need help with Windows but they can get it from somebody else.

I've been around this OS stuff since before the PC was invented. For some reason it seems that the even-numbered versions of many OS (especially OS that Microsoft is involved with) end up considered not as good as the odd-numbered versions... sometimes that's due to the odd-numbered version being a "fixed" version of the preceding even-numbered version... I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I have to keep up with it since I support my employer's users and my employer chose Microsoft. Got to give the Devil his due... Microsoft has done an amazing marketing job that keeps customers hooked even though they accept that the OS will be difficult (and require help from expensive experts) as well as probably being buggy (and will even pay for fixes to the original defective product). Many of the other comments in this thread are typical of what I hear everyday - users are tired of this circus but suffer through it because they feel they have no choice. I know that Linux and Mac folks argue about "no choice", but both of those have enough learning curve to concern many potential users and companies.

I worked in IT for years and I wanted to throw a brick every time one of my colleagues told an average user to use Linux. And this was before the days of Ubuntu. Techies and geeks think Linux is the be-all end-all savior to all computer woes. If someone can't install a driver on Windows, where it's actually quite simple and where there's much more universal support, they aren't going to be able to use their **** on Linux where installing drivers that Ubuntu doesn't have native support for is unreasonably difficult. Listening to reasons why "everyone should use Linux" at work was like listening to a bunch of fanboys at a comic book convention swoon over Superman. :rolleyes:

I put Ubuntu on a few computers just last year because Micro**** killed my Windows XP license, same one I've used since 2004 and never had a problem with until last year. After I finished installing it, I found out that Ubuntu did not have native support for the wireless LAN in any of these laptops. After days of looking it up, I found out that the Wireless LAN in two of those computers was not supported by Ubuntu in any way, shape or form and even the Linux nerds couldn't get them to work. And these two computers were very, extremely common laptops - especially in the business world. XP, those drivers can be downloaded and installed in 40 seconds. And I don't think I've ever had to manually install a driver with Windows 7.

I'll never understand why Microsoft released Windows 8. Windows 7 is best Microsoft operating system since Windows 2000. Actually, it might be better than Windows 2000 and that's saying something.

Microsoft geeks live in a closed little ivory tower world. They dream up the "best thing going" and toss it over the wall
to the outside world with no directions attached and tell us "you'll love it". Bah, humbug.

Microsoft geeks live in a closed little ivory tower world. They dream up the "best thing going" and toss it over the wall
to the outside world with no directions attached and tell us "you'll love it". Bah, humbug.
:XXROFL:

Back
Top Bottom