Windows 7

take your pick. http://distrowatch.com/ they are all better than windows and mac os's. kde versions even have a look and feel of windows without the crap ms throws in.

yeah, windows 7 is nice though, if you can't deal with a real os. <g>

Mac's for people who can't handle the complexity of 2 buttons on a mouse.

Mac's for people who can't handle the complexity of 2 buttons on a mouse.

Mac has supported 5 button mice for awhile now, thank you. :p

Macs are for people who can't handle the complexity of 2 buttons on a mouse or have come up with an unordinate number of buttons that can't do that many different things on a mouse:D

Macs are for people who can't handle the complexity of 2 buttons on a mouse or have come up with an unordinate number of buttons that can't do that many different things on a mouse:D

So why do all professional recording studios and Dream Works only use Macs and not windows? You saying professional recording artists are all a bunch of wimps? Also almost all professional graphic art studios use Mac not PCs.

So why do all professional recording studios and Dream Works only use Macs and not windows? You saying professional recording artists are all a bunch of wimps? Also almost all professional graphic art studios use Mac not PCs.

No wonder music sucks these days:D

Considering how long the whole Windows vs Mac debate has been raging, I often wonder if anyone is truly happy with either OS.

Honestly, I would be on Linux by now if it wasn't for the simple fact that the games that I play on my PC require Windows, and I don't want to run an emulator just to play my games.

Honestly, I would be on Linux by now if it wasn't for the simple fact that the games that I play on my PC require Windows, and I don't want to run an emulator just to play my games.
i think this fact is the biggest drawback to people switching to linux. people love their games. <g> fortunately i'm not a big gamer. web games work fine though. i spend a lot of time playing mafia wars on facebook.

Why is in the novies whenever they show a laptop it is always an Apple? Does Holywood have some kind of exclusive contract with them?

Why is in the novies whenever they show a laptop it is always an Apple? Does Holywood have some kind of exclusive contract with them?

Well it's a product placement thing, I'm guessing product placement for Apple is cheaper than it is for Dell, Compaq, HP, etc. Plus, everyone recognize what Apple is.

Personally I can't stand Apple, overpriced POS, when I can build a better system for cheaper!

Well it's a product placement thing, I'm guessing product placement for Apple is cheaper than it is for Dell, Compaq, HP, etc. Plus, everyone recognize what Apple is.

Personally I can't stand Apple, overpriced POS, when I can build a better system for cheaper!

I wouldn't think it would be any cheaper to advertise one or the other, but that could be true.

Oh boy, other than an ex-smoker, there doesn't seem to be anyone who hates a PC more than a Mac user. But I'm with you, and I don't care if a Mac is better. I just know that Apple made Macs able to use Windows apps. Don't know, but has Windows ever come up with a way to use a Mac app?

BTW, product placement is not cheap.

5 button mouse (this gets technical quick):

4 physical buttons: left click, right click, page back/programmable, page forward/programmable

Scrollwheel is 5th physical button: Scrolls back and forth, leans side to side, and can be clicked for a 5th, center, button.

My mouse here at home also has a 6th button that goes straight to google.

as far as development:

PC and Mac both have their strong suits. Before my Windows installs corrupted eachother, I had 7, Vista, Ubuntu, and Snow Leopard all on this same computer.

I've always said that Linux is far closer to windows than MAC is, which is an irony, since Mac was developed based on the Linux Kernel. Back when Mac used the PowerPC processor and everything was proprietary, it was a real hodgepodge of biasment. Everybody used windows because every progam ever made, was designed around the Windows OS. Only special apps were developed for Mac OS/OSX because they had to be completely re-written for the PowerPC architecture, thus they were exponentially more expensive.

After MAC dropped the PowerPC processor and decided that it had a vested interest in Intel, EVERYTHING changed. Suddenly, applications from windows could be directly transferred (from a developer's standpoint, converting from a EXE to a DMG file is considered direct, not sure how) over to OSX, with very few hiccups. This broadened the horizon for OSX, and made production cheaper since they didn't have to continue developing the PowerPC CPU internally, leaving Intel to do the hard work.

At my work, we have 130 +- Macintosh computers from varying eras- We have 2 lampshades, 2 G4 towers, a few (i think?) G3's that look like a distorted cloverleaf, and the rest are split between MAC Mini's (newsroom) and iMacs (my office/Production). We also have 2 iPads, a full OSX server, and a few other odds and ends from Apple. We also recently acquired our license to write Apple Applications for iTouch, iPhone, iPad, ect.

As for cost, Apple's are still prices completely outside of most people's budgets. Since mine is a HAckintosh, I basically got a $29 Mac. But my Girlfriend's family, she has a $8500 MacBook Pro via the University Recycling program (students/public can buy old equipment by auction- her laptop is from 08), her step-mom has a MacBook Air (same recycling program), and both of her parents also have MacBook Pro's.

Mac is used by developers because it is more efficient in CPU use- on this computer, when I was in windows, idling with NO applications running, was around 15% CPU and 15% RAM. Linux is around 10% on both. Here on OSX, I'm watching my CPU and RAM meter as I type this, and I'm not going too far- my CPU average for the last 1 minute is 5%, 5 minutes is 7%, and last 15 minutes is 8%. Also, everything in OSX defaults as a vector (lossless), while in Windows, everything defaults as a lossfull format, with tons of anti-aliasing.

Oh boy, other than an ex-smoker, there doesn't seem to be anyone who hates a PC more than a Mac user. But I'm with you, and I don't care if a Mac is better.
mac's aren't better, just different.

I just know that Apple made Macs able to use Windows apps. Don't know, but has Windows ever come up with a way to use a Mac app?
some software could/can be used by both mac's and windows if you want to pay for it twice. pagemaker was like that. didn't care for it. there are several products that can convert mac data to windows readable format. i forget the names since i have no use for them anymore. :) windows developers don't like developing programs for the mac because of apple's licensing restrictions. proprietary hardware and software purchased through the apple store or some such bs. <g> some do, namely ms offers ms office for mac. you can usually get windows/mac/linux os's to run on the same pc using virtualization software like vmware. you can do it but you wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. i found it functional but kludgy.

BTW, product placement is not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom