Windtunnel 2007 - Dale Earnhardt vs Jeff Gordon

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
The NASCAR Cup Series has an off week coming up and I found this gem. Wish we still had a show like Windtunnel around.

I remember that episode.

I also remember when Gordon was a guest on Inside Winston Cup but before they brought him on they showed clips of him wrecking many drivers - it was pretty funny.

We'll never know but I think he would have wanted the top spot instead of sharing with Petty. Just his competiveness.

We'll never know but I think he would have wanted the top spot instead of sharing with Petty. Just his competiveness.

I think he would have retired after 2003 or maybe 2004 at the latest. Maybe he could have won another title, maybe not. But he had not won a title since '94, and I'm not sure how he could have managed to win 5 or 6 more when he was on the wrong side of 50. I don't think Rusty thought that one through.

I think he would have retired after 2003 or maybe 2004 at the latest. Maybe he could have won another title, maybe not. But he had not won a title since '94, and I'm not sure how he could have managed to win 5 or 6 more when he was on the wrong side of 50. I don't think Rusty thought that one through.
Especially considering nobody's ever even won one at that age. I think Bobby Allison is the oldest ever Cup champion, he was a couple weeks shy of his 46th birthday when he won the '83 title.

Earnhardt was close in 00 to winning that 8th Cup, it was a surprise resurgence after a rough 97,98, and an okay 99. I think RCR rebuilt that 3 team to make another run at that 8th cup but I dont know honestly if Earnhardt could beat a prime 01 Gordon, a 02 Tony Stewart also in his prime ( Earnhardt Sr vs Stewart Title fight.....epic.) or been consistent enough to beat 03 Kenseth. I dont think Earnhardt would have went past 03, I would love to have seen how he would have done in the first edition of the Chase For The Cup in 04 though. I really dont see him racing into 05,06, or 07. I think maybe 04 would have been the longest he went. What could have been right?

Last edited:
Losing Dale was such a huge blow to this sport in so many different ways. I can't help but wonder how different the past 15 years might have been, and what the sport would be like today with Dale's influence. He had a great grasp on racing and what the sport needed. And I think he had the stroke to dictate how it's run, to a certain extent anyway. When Dale spoke, everyone listened.

Losing Dale was such a huge blow to this sport in so many different ways. I can't help but wonder how different the past 15 years might have been, and what the sport would be like today with Dale's influence. He had a great grasp on racing and what the sport needed. And I think he had the stroke to dictate how it's run, to a certain extent anyway. When Dale spoke, everyone listened.
Wish he had been around for "invention" of The Chase, couldnt help but picturing him scowling with that Intimidator Stare as the idea was being talked about in meetings and then saying "thats some of the stupidest $hit I ever heard."

I have to wonder if SR was still around would DEI have failed.....

We can speculate forever.
I was a fan and hated the way it ended.
But I am glad that he didn't race to long like Darrell Waltrip and Richard Petty did.

They had great careers that got tarnished in some respects.
All that most people remember is an old Petty and Waltrip making laps.

We can speculate forever.
I was a fan and hated the way it ended.
But I am glad that he didn't race to long like Darrell Waltrip and Richard Petty did.

They had great careers that got tarnished in some respects.
All that most people remember is an old Petty and Waltrip making laps.
I’ve read multiple articles and interviews that said he was going to be done in 03 with a big farewell tour that would have been announced in 02. Can’t remember where I saw it, I’ll try to find it. He would have raced in 04 in sportscar racing for Corvette. I’ll really try to find these articles. I would think he probably would have won between 2-3 more Cup races if he lived in 01 and hung it up in 03

Back
Top Bottom