Winningest female driver at Lonesome Pine Raceway dies in race

tkj24

Team Owner
She was a 58 year old who loved to race cars, and Saturday night, she died doing what she loved.

News Channel 11 found out the deadly crash at Lonesome Pine Raceway in Wise County, Virginia wasn't for money, just a trophy.

Lonesome Pine General Manager Clint Vance was at the track when the accident happened. "I was actually down here talking to the late model drivers after their race. I heard it…A very loud crash," Vance said.

Wanda Phillips was coming off a turn into lap four of ten.
In front of 1500 fans, she crashed.

"She glanced off the outside retaining wall and went straight into the guardrail on the inside," Vance told News Channel 11.

Phillips was a favorite at Lonesome Pine Raceway.
She was the winningest female driver at this track.
Her car hasn't been moved yet and the flag stands at half staff.

Vance talked to Phillips’ family and he said they told him Phillips died happy. "Well, if she had to go, I guess that's the way she would have wanted to go out," Vance said.

Her family believes Phillips’ had health problems that may have suddenly caused her to loose control. They say it wasn't a safety issue, and they want to include Lonesome Pine in Phillips' last hoorah. The funeral will be held at the track Tuesday morning at 11:00.

Wanda Phillips was in the lead when she had the accident, but her family says she will make it to victory lane. The hearse is going to take her there during the service.

None of the other four drivers were hurt in the wreck, and Phillips' family says she wouldn't have wanted the track to shut down because of her.

"One of her sons told us that they were going to be here this weekend to wave the green flag to see that we did race," Vance said.

The races will go on but not the women’s and children’s classes. Lonesome Pine Raceway suspended those races.

I guess there is something to be said for going out doing what you love to do. We all have to assume room temperature some time, having some control over when and how wouldn't be all bad.

Here's Wanda's funeral info. She was well liked at LPR.
Wanda Funk Phillips
June 10, 1949 - June 30, 2007

Facts
Born: June 10, 1949
Place of Birth: Coeburn
Death: June 30, 2007
Place of Death: Coeburn
Hobbies: Stock Car Racing

Survived By
Freddie (Kim) Phillips, Son
Clynis (Nancy) Phillips, Son
Brett R. Phillips, Son
Twyla (Ronnie) Barton, Sister
Justin Phillips, Grandson
Fred O. Phillips, Former Husband

Memorial Donations
In lieu of flowers, the family is asking that dontations be made to The Victory Junction Gang Camp, 4500 Adam's Way, Randleman, NC 27317 - in Memory of Wanda Phillips - Lonsome Pine Raceway - Coeburn, VA

Biography
Wanda Funk Phillips age 58 passed away Saturday June 30, 2007 at Lonesome Pine Raceway, Coeburn, VA.

She was born the daughter of the late Willard and Goldie Hale Funk. She is preceded in death by her brother Willard Funk, Jr. She was a resident of Sandy Ridge, an avid stock car racer with multiple wins, and of the Christian Faith.

Survivors include three sons, Freddie and wife Kim Phillips, Clynis and wife Nancy Phillips all of Clintwood, VA; and Brett Robert Phillips of Coeburn, VA; One sister Twyla and husband Ronnie Barton of Bland, VA; One grandson Justin Phillips of Clintwood, VA; former husband Fred O. Phillips of Big Stone Gap, VA; along with several nieces, nephews and other relatives; as well as her extended family fellow racers, fans, and staff of Lonesome Pine Raceway.

Funeral services for Wanda Phillips will be conducted at 11:00 AM Tuesday at Victory Lane at Lonesome Pine Raceway at Coeburn with Minister Kenneth Stanley officiating. Burial to follow at the Adkins Family Cemetery, Caney Ridge. The family will receive friends from 5-8 PM Monday at the Sturgill Funeral Home Coeburn. Pallbearers will be fellow racers and friends of Lonesome Pine Raceway. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Victory Junction Gang Camp, 4500 Adam's Way, Randleman, NC 27317: www.victoryjunction.org

Visitation
Mon. July 2, 2007 , 5:00 - 8:00 PM at Sturgill Funeral Home
310 6th St Nw, Coeburn, VA
(276) 395-3263

Funeral
Tue. July 3, 2007 , 11:00 AM at Lonesome Pine Raceway Victory Lane

The family is asking that all racer's that are able to attend to please arrive at the race track @ 9:30 am to line up on the front stretch and to prepare to follow Wanda in the hearse, for her last lap around Lonesome Pine Raceway.

Burial
Tue. July 3, 2007 at Adkins Cemetery - Coeburn, VA

Memorial Guestbook www.memorialsolutions.com...-phillips#

memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/sites/clintw0/obit.cgi?user=wanda-phillips#

Very few people actually pursue their dreams. It sounds like she is one that did. My condolences to the family.

RIP Wanda. She is now enjoying the company of other racing legends.

My Aunt, Wanda Phillips

Wanda Phillips was my aunt, who died doing what she loved and that was racing. She was a special person who will never be forgotten, she had to work hard her whole life to get what she had, her family and friends were everything to her and she devoted her life to both. Our family will miss her greatly, we have suffered a tremendous loss, but I know she is with Jesus and thats what keeps us going. :)

Wanda Phillips was my aunt, who died doing what she loved and that was racing. She was a special person who will never be forgotten, she had to work hard her whole life to get what she had, her family and friends were everything to her and she devoted her life to both. Our family will miss her greatly, we have suffered a tremendous loss, but I know she is with Jesus and thats what keeps us going. :)

We're so sorry for your loss. I didn't know your aunt personally, but from TST board. You and your family are still in our prayers and thoughts.

Thank you so much for posting Deut. We are sorry for your loss and are keeing the whole family in our thoughts and prayers.

Tragic to say the least. RIP Wanda. One thing puzzles me, whystop the ladies racing division?.

Please don't take any offense be9ak7ts16, but this probably isn't the appropriate thread for a debate on the subject.

Deut was kind enough to send me a "Thank You" via pm so let's all keep Wanda and the entire family in our thoughts and prayers. She was among the fortunate few who died doind what they loved.

Back
Top Bottom