Women in Racing

H

HardScrabble

Not exactly in racing as a driver. But what a gal!

TOLEDO OH (10-17-02) Hendren Motorsports says hooray for Houston! The ARCA RE/MAX Series is packed full of great stories many of which are built around volunteer help.

The Hendren Motorsports team is a great example of one of those stories. It's the story of four struggling individuals who have pooled their resources together in an effort to make a team for their driver - Mokena, Illinois veteran Bob Strait.

The men who make up Hendren Motorsports are Dave Runge, Augie Augsburger, Bill Hendren and Brian Smith.

"My girlfriend Houston asked us why we weren't going to Charlotte," said Smith. "I told her because we had no sponsor and not enough resources to get the car back together (car got wrecked at Chicagoland) in time for the race. She asked me how much it would take to get the car ready; I told her, and she wrote us a check. That's the only reason were able to compete here."

And the rest is history. Strait, who had made only 3 starts prior to Charlotte in 2002, responded with a solid 5th place finish.

The hood of Straits car at Charlotte:

I guess this just proves the old adage...behind every successful man there is a woman....

Back
Top Bottom