Wonder what DEI is running

really, i didnt notice. guess it isnt much good for the 15 car

Lucky winners in the "who gets the bigger fuel cell" lottery? ;)

Not saying anything about a conpsiracy...just wondering what they got figured out.

That's quite a few laps more.

Originally posted by paul
Not saying anything about a conpsiracy...just wondering what they got figured out.

I was being silly Paul.........they do have a damned good engineering department at DEI. They have something figured out though. I remember when Jr used to run out of gas a lot!!!:)

Originally posted by paul

I was kidding about the conspiracy......I guess I need to change my font when I'm goofing around or being sarcastic. Or maybe I need to work on my sense of humor? :eek:

It is unusual to see DEI cars getting that kind of gas mileage, and really unusual to see them lose an engine like Mikey did.

for better mileage, but you increase the risk of blowing up the engine......

Could it just have been a miscalcution by the pit reporters/booth guys?

Hmm, not sure. When I was watching I saw him pit about 15-20 laps after everyone else.

Jeff Gordon went quite a while on that last tank of gas too. I would like to know how they are doing it too.

Well, so much for Junior's great mileage advantage. Why'd he have to pit, if that was the case? Was he out of sequence? I forget.

Then, why'd he have to get four tires? I'm still confused as to what was considered better at Chicagoland. At the beginning of the race, the guys in the booth said that everyone learned from yesterday's Busch race that fresh tires made all the difference. Just an hour or so into it, they completely reversed that position. Now, old tires (and gas mileage) were making all the difference. What gives?

In the end, Junior's pit crew screwed him. I'm annoyed he couldn't finish better than 10th after being so dominant earlier in the race. But then I think about what could have been, and am thrilled he even finished the race. At least he's surpassed Michael Waltrip again in the points standings. :leapfrog: 14th. Next week, it'll be 13th, and then on and then on...

Jr's pit crew screwed him?

I don't think so...I question Eury's call on getting four tires. How did his pit crew screw him?

Uh, that's what I meant. :satisfied

But, like I said, why'd he have to pit at all? Did he have to? I thought he was able to make those long runs, and his tires seemed to get better with longer runs. Am I missing something?

He had to pit to get gas.

He just wasn't able to drive very well. He had to work through traffic and just couldn't get through. Newman went from 18 to 5 after blowing his tire and getting all four. Jr was only able to move up a few spots.

Not sure what his problem was.

But you should be happy with a top ten finish for that team. They need to start getting some solid top 15 races in and then start working on getting into any kind of points race next year.

Originally posted by abooja
Uh, that's what I meant. :satisfied  

But, like I said, why'd he have to pit at all? Did he have to? I thought he was able to make those long runs, and his tires seemed to get better with longer runs. Am I missing something?

All us armchair crew chiefs and drivers have this great advantage over the paid guys........it's called hindsight!! The 8 team gambled (or maybe they were short on gas) and it just didn't work out the way they thought it would. But, I think that's one of the reasons we all watch stock car racing.......for those gambles and different strategies. Had Jr stayed out maybe he would have won........or maybe he would have run out of gas!! Just racing!:D

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
All us armchair crew chiefs and drivers have this great advantage over the paid guys........it's called hindsight!!  The 8 team gambled (or maybe they were short on gas) and it just didn't work out the way they thought it would.  But, I think that's one of the reasons we all watch stock car racing.......for those gambles and different strategies.  Had Jr stayed out maybe he would have won........or maybe he would have run out of gas!!  Just racing!:D

That's all I was wondering. If it was a gamble or not, and why he seemed to be ahead of the game on mileage early on, then was forced to pit and take four in the end. He must have been out of sequence with the other leaders.

I'm THRILLED he finished in the top ten, believe me! After what happened to Michael, I was worried he wouldn't finish at all.

I'm not sure about the 4 tire call, either. However, he was sliding back on the set he got the previous stop --- so maybe the set he was on just didn't match up with the car. Gas-and-go just may not have been an option.

Just happy to get a top ten and to lead some laps. Baby steps come before giant steps.

Back
Top Bottom