Woohoo! (Wilkesboro)

Much better choice than who they had for the Clash IMO. Never have been a fan of a computerized drum machine and fast talking. I like people who can actually play an instrument and sing.
Oh they can play instruments. These fellas one are my favorite country artists. Music starts at 1:34

So I am confused as I am trying to figure this out...... my tickets on Sunday get me into Friday's races?

Media let in yesterday, only 3 months away! Surreal this is happening. Kudos to that NC racing stimulus package and Dale Earnhardt Jr

just bought the $200 3 day parking pass for Wilkesboro. Whew, with the cost of tickets then lodging and driving to Mooresville from Chicago area.........This is probably the most expensive race I have ever gone to. Nostalgia is expensive.

^^ When in Bristol, We've parked @ Rogers Gardens Campground directly across from BMS.(See avatar). $125.00 for the week, assigned parking. Camping(.dry) was around $250.00 / week. Damn good prices I thought..
Sounds like you got a good deal!

I couldn’t have a care of what it looks like. As long as there’s 3 seconds worth of tire falloff, that’s where people will be interested.

I couldn’t have a care of what it looks like. As long as there’s 3 seconds worth of tire falloff, that’s where people will be interested.
well a great job has been done so far of renovating it looks like, I was just giving some credit to that aspect of this.

I went to several cup races at NW. Got to see Earhhardt, Davey Allison, Mark Martin and Geoff Bodine win there.
In 1991 I went to the Sept race there and Harry Gant at 51 years old entered the event having won the last four consecutive cup races. He was Mr September in 1991. He led most of that race at NW too and was on his way to five consecutive wins. He had the field covered but a faulty brake line caused him to loose some fluid late in the race and Earnhardt got by him after Gant had led 350 of the 400 laps.
It was also Robbie Moroso's last race, he was killed in a highway wreck after that race.

I had a lot great times and memories there. I thought it was gone forever and hearing about the tires falling off 3 seconds a lap is the best racing news I have heard in a long long time.

And agree or degree with me but eff Bruton Smith.

Actual Cup Car testing...... this is so very exciting.

This still feels so unreal.
6 years ago my dad and I travelled to the states and when we were on our way to Charlotte I convinced him to drive out into the NC countryside because I wanted to get a look at this historic track before it was gonna get bulldozed. We didn't get inside but there are some videos on YouTube by people who did. No way racing was ever gonna return there, let alone NASCAR Cup racing.

I went to several cup races at NW. Got to see Earhhardt, Davey Allison, Mark Martin and Geoff Bodine win there.
In 1991 I went to the Sept race there and Harry Gant at 51 years old entered the event having won the last four consecutive cup races. He was Mr September in 1991. He led most of that race at NW too and was on his way to five consecutive wins. He had the field covered but a faulty brake line caused him to loose some fluid late in the race and Earnhardt got by him after Gant had led 350 of the 400 laps.
It was also Robbie Moroso's last race, he was killed in a highway wreck after that race.

I had a lot great times and memories there. I thought it was gone forever and hearing about the tires falling off 3 seconds a lap is the best racing news I have heard in a long long time.

And agree or degree with me but eff Bruton Smith.
I don't recall seeing you at that race. :rolleyes: Woulda been nice to know you back then. At the race mentioned, I was either in the pits or in the grandstand, turn one. with our motorhome parked in the field on the right after exiting rear gate of track and turning right to cross the bridge that spans 421. Before that field opened for We had our motorhome parking we parked behind the grandstands on a slight slope. It rained there one year after we had moved to the other field but the ones who parked behind the grandstands had to be pulled out with a tractor or wrecker as the ground was so soft and slippery. That red Carolina dirt is like snot when it gets wet.

I don't recall seeing you at that race. :rolleyes: Woulda been nice to know you back then. At the race mentioned, I was either in the pits or in the grandstand, turn one. with our motorhome parked in the field on the right after exiting rear gate of track and turning right to cross the bridge that spans 421. Before that field opened for We had our motorhome parking we parked behind the grandstands on a slight slope. It rained there one year after we had moved to the other field but the ones who parked behind the grandstands had to be pulled out with a tractor or wrecker as the ground was so soft and slippery. That red Carolina dirt is like snot when it gets wet.
We set on the frontstretch or the turn 2 bleachers the other times. It was only a little over a two hour trip to NW for me to the track. We almost always did Wilksboro, Charlotte, Darlington, Rockingham, and Atlanta as a single day trip. It would have been great to have met you..

just bought the $200 3 day parking pass for Wilkesboro. Whew, with the cost of tickets then lodging and driving to Mooresville from Chicago area.........This is probably the most expensive race I have ever gone to. Nostalgia is expensive.
That seems like a lot for parking.

Do they press your pants while you’re on the shuttle?
its a 3 day parking pass in an assigned lot. And you're right its extremely expensive, maybe they'll valet it for me
The Save the Speedway page shared this from the County Commissioner.

🏁🏁🏁**SPEEDWAY PARKING**🏁🏁🏁
There has been great concern expressed about the price of parking for the up coming All-Star race at North Wilkesboro Speedway!!

I have reached out to the personnel with SMI to see why and/or how the pricing for parking was set at its current rate.

There are a LOT of moving parts to this and I will try to keep this short.

To set a timeline we went from a dormant track of almost 25 years to one that is about to hold one of Nascar’s premier races all in LESS than 1 year.

Most venues plan for years in advance for all of their parking, transportation needs, etc. 

SMI’s original plan was to contract with local church’s, nonprofits and school systems to provide transportation to and from the track. BUT a State law prohibits the use of nonprofit vehicle’s for use as profit for public entities events (the race).
Since Merle Fest is set as a nonprofit event. These issues do not pertain to the NON-PROFITS providing transportation for the music festival.

With this being said, SMI had to contract with a commercial bus company to provide the transportation to and from the track at an enormous cost. ($2300) per bus per day plus other expenses) Not counting, leasing property for parking and other personnel needed to make this happen.
This unforeseen cost caused the expenditure for moving people to double, I was reassured. They will be lucky to even break even if every spot is sold in their parking lots.

So in Mondays meeting of adjoining property owners and SMI, SMI took information from local landowners to try and help promote the parking and Camping at local residence fields and yards to keep the cost down and continue to give back to Wilkes County citizens. 

Sadly, at any type of sporting event, parking is all of a premium price and part of modern large events not just our own Hometown event.

As an elected official I can only try to better understand for our citizens why the cost are what they are.

I hope this shed some light on the pricing of parking on “SMI PROPERTY”

Back
Top Bottom