Woohoo! (Wilkesboro)

The Save the Speedway page shared this from the County Commissioner.

🏁🏁🏁**SPEEDWAY PARKING**🏁🏁🏁
There has been great concern expressed about the price of parking for the up coming All-Star race at North Wilkesboro Speedway!!

I have reached out to the personnel with SMI to see why and/or how the pricing for parking was set at its current rate.

There are a LOT of moving parts to this and I will try to keep this short.

To set a timeline we went from a dormant track of almost 25 years to one that is about to hold one of Nascar’s premier races all in LESS than 1 year.

Most venues plan for years in advance for all of their parking, transportation needs, etc. 

SMI’s original plan was to contract with local church’s, nonprofits and school systems to provide transportation to and from the track. BUT a State law prohibits the use of nonprofit vehicle’s for use as profit for public entities events (the race).
Since Merle Fest is set as a nonprofit event. These issues do not pertain to the NON-PROFITS providing transportation for the music festival.

With this being said, SMI had to contract with a commercial bus company to provide the transportation to and from the track at an enormous cost. ($2300) per bus per day plus other expenses) Not counting, leasing property for parking and other personnel needed to make this happen.
This unforeseen cost caused the expenditure for moving people to double, I was reassured. They will be lucky to even break even if every spot is sold in their parking lots.

So in Mondays meeting of adjoining property owners and SMI, SMI took information from local landowners to try and help promote the parking and Camping at local residence fields and yards to keep the cost down and continue to give back to Wilkes County citizens. 

Sadly, at any type of sporting event, parking is all of a premium price and part of modern large events not just our own Hometown event.

As an elected official I can only try to better understand for our citizens why the cost are what they are.

I hope this shed some light on the pricing of parking on “SMI PROPERTY”
This parking/traffic situation is legit giving me anxiety about going to this race. I’m expecting the worse and I’m guessing it’ll be worse than that.

The major problem is getting access to the track. The roads leading in and out are all two lanes. In the pictures you can see a four lane roadway, NC 421, running next to track property but there is no exit/entrance ramp there, or at least there wasn't nearly thirty years ago when I was there for the last cup race. Expect delays and be patient.

The Save the Speedway page shared this from the County Commissioner.

🏁🏁🏁**SPEEDWAY PARKING**🏁🏁🏁
There has been great concern expressed about the price of parking for the up coming All-Star race at North Wilkesboro Speedway!!

I have reached out to the personnel with SMI to see why and/or how the pricing for parking was set at its current rate.

There are a LOT of moving parts to this and I will try to keep this short.

To set a timeline we went from a dormant track of almost 25 years to one that is about to hold one of Nascar’s premier races all in LESS than 1 year.

Most venues plan for years in advance for all of their parking, transportation needs, etc. 

SMI’s original plan was to contract with local church’s, nonprofits and school systems to provide transportation to and from the track. BUT a State law prohibits the use of nonprofit vehicle’s for use as profit for public entities events (the race).
Since Merle Fest is set as a nonprofit event. These issues do not pertain to the NON-PROFITS providing transportation for the music festival.

With this being said, SMI had to contract with a commercial bus company to provide the transportation to and from the track at an enormous cost. ($2300) per bus per day plus other expenses) Not counting, leasing property for parking and other personnel needed to make this happen.
This unforeseen cost caused the expenditure for moving people to double, I was reassured. They will be lucky to even break even if every spot is sold in their parking lots.

So in Mondays meeting of adjoining property owners and SMI, SMI took information from local landowners to try and help promote the parking and Camping at local residence fields and yards to keep the cost down and continue to give back to Wilkes County citizens. 

Sadly, at any type of sporting event, parking is all of a premium price and part of modern large events not just our own Hometown event.

As an elected official I can only try to better understand for our citizens why the cost are what they are.

I hope this shed some light on the pricing of parking on “SMI PROPERTY”
It's been a while but I recall SMI running its own buses at Bristol. At least I assumed that's who owned the buses painted like popular race cars. Either they sold those or there are logistical and financial reasons they couldn't use them.

Should this track get a points event, I may get there one day. Seeing what happened at Kentucky convinced me to never attend the first event at any new venue.

The major problem is getting access to the track. The roads leading in and out are all two lanes. In the pictures you can see a four lane roadway, NC 421, running next to track property but there is no exit/entrance ramp there, or at least there wasn't nearly thirty years ago when I was there for the last cup race. Expect delays and be patient.
We went to NW several times in the 90s. I recall we would stay in Statesville and drive up to the track for the Saturday and Sunday races. I don't recall parking as being a significant challenge. If it was for some reason it didn't stick with me. I wonder what has changed? Maybe the speedway sold some of its property?

Traffic was a challenge getting back to I-77, so we usually just relaxed in the parking lot for a couple hours after the race. Back in those days racing started in the early afternoon so there was time after the race to let the traffic sort out before dark.

I like it much better than multiple stages and field inversions and spinning wheels and all the other gimmicks we've seen over the last several years.

You hardly ever get a chance to hear a legend in the sport like a Richard Childress speak about the sport for 18 minutes. It's well worth a listen.

This parking/traffic situation is legit giving me anxiety about going to this race. I’m expecting the worse and I’m guessing it’ll be worse than that.
I here some people are planning on a ski diving arrival to avoid the parking pass expense.

Perhaps they’ll use the parking revenue to repave the track. 😇

Looking at the video, I recall going to North Wilkesboro when there were no metal chairs to sit on in the front grandstand. Only the concrete steps/seats were there. If you didn't have a pillow or blanket it was hard sitting through the entire race. Eventually, they built the grandstands in the first and second turns and we got annual seating there which gave a much better view of the track and action plus was more comfortable. The years have flown by!!

The commentary after the most recent wheel force testing was interesting, to say the least. I wonder if anybody had any second thoughts?

”The racing surface will not be paved. After racing on the track last year in a late model event, Dale Earnhardt Jr., who has been a major advocate of North Wilkesboro’s revival, recommended that the old surface be retained at least through the All-Star Race. Swift said some spots were patched, but the same surface on which Jeff Gordon won the last Cup race at the track in 1996 will be the landscape for this year’s return to racing.”

Current surface put down in 1958?

The commentary after the most recent wheel force testing was interesting, to say the least. I wonder if anybody had any second thoughts?

”The racing surface will not be paved. After racing on the track last year in a late model event, Dale Earnhardt Jr., who has been a major advocate of North Wilkesboro’s revival, recommended that the old surface be retained at least through the All-Star Race. Swift said some spots were patched, but the same surface on which Jeff Gordon won the last Cup race at the track in 1996 will be the landscape for this year’s return to racing.”

Current surface put down in 1958?
1981, is what I believe I saw Save the Speedway post on Facebook paved 3 tines in its history

Operations Manager Ronald Queen describes it as the original asphalt … I don’t know and it doesn’t really matter.

It was nasty before they hit it with Roundup.

1682530254923.jpeg

I can't wait to watch racing at North Wilkesboro. It went away before my time, and I never got to enjoy it.

I've watched old races on Youtube, and I think we're in for a helluva race.
I dont remember really watching as a kid on TV but I know I watched with my dad, I just have memories of what I've watched on YouTube. I hope this car really does well there as I am worried the fickle fan base will turn on the track and not show up in the future if indeed the "fans" perceive next week's race is boring.

I dont remember really watching as a kid on TV but I know I watched with my dad, I just have memories of what I've watched on YouTube. I hope this car really does well there as I am worried the fickle fan base will turn on the track and not show up in the future if indeed the "fans" perceive next week's race is boring.
I can tell you right now, that if the race is even half-exciting as I think it could be, and if the NW returns as a points paying race, I would fly and attend in person.

my first Cup race in person since 2007. (I live in Iowa, and was a season ticket holder at Iowa Speedway, and went to every Xfinity and Truck race there each year)

No. I think a lack of grip will be problematic. I will be happy to be wrong.

From post # 93:

Ah, I have seen that. You folks on here probably talked about it too, this place is going to chew up tires. Is it because of the tire they're using for this new car, the track needing to be paved or a combo of both? I always thought tire wear would be good, but I also dont want to see what happened at the Brickyard that year with tire issues galore.

I can tell you right now, that if the race is even half-exciting as I think it could be, and if the NW returns as a points paying race, I would fly and attend in person.

my first Cup race in person since 2007. (I live in Iowa, and was a season ticket holder at Iowa Speedway, and went to every Xfinity and Truck race there each year)
This is my first Cup race since 2019 Bristol night race, I cant believe its been that long. I just hope the racing is good, everything truly had to go right for this place to come back, it'd make me upset as a fan to see it get turned on.

They had time and budget for a repave.

Junior Earnhardt ran laps in a 2800 lb late model and suggested NASCAR leave it as is. Roll the dice.

We went to NW several times in the 90s. I recall we would stay in Statesville and drive up to the track for the Saturday and Sunday races. I don't recall parking as being a significant challenge. If it was for some reason it didn't stick with me. I wonder what has changed? Maybe the speedway sold some of its property?

Traffic was a challenge getting back to I-77, so we usually just relaxed in the parking lot for a couple hours after the race. Back in those days racing started in the early afternoon so there was time after the race to let the traffic sort out before dark.
Hearing the predictions on traffic, I was wondering the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom