Work

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
I sure am getting tired of coming early and staying late at work every single day. :rolleyes:

People need to learn to show up when they're scheduled to show up :mad:

lol - life's a bi*** andy. you have about 45 more years to get use to it. and to think most of us were doing it before there was an internet to goof off on. <g>

Get F'n used to it.It won't hurt you.You ***** because you have no money.Then you ***** because you have to work.

lol - life's a bi*** andy. you have about 45 more years to get use to it. and to think most of us were doing it before there was an internet to goof off on. <g>

That's right Andy, no more comlaining. All the old guys have already complained back in their day, so complaining is no longer allowed. :D

At least you have a job, be glad you get the overtime. There are millions of people that would love to have your jobs.

Get F'n used to it.It won't hurt you.You ***** because you have no money.Then you ***** because you have to work.

He's *****ing about the lazy assholes who blow off work, why can't you people see that.

He means the regular hourly wage I get.

In order to get overtime, you have to work over 49 hours (and overtime is $1.00/hour + wage).

It's not really worth it.

How come you don't get time and a half after 40 hours?

So quit and let someone who would be glad to work like that have the job.:)

I don't know, ask the union.

Isn't there a FEDERAL WAGE HOUR CHART posted where you work I believe it clearly states working hours and wages, correct me if I am wrong but I believe there is a limit you have to work before overtime is paid.
Two other things, be glad you are healthy enough to work and have a job regardless of how p!ssed you get at times.

Once again, I find myself in the strange position of backing up Andy. I think he is glad to have a job, and sometimes even the extra money he gets for picking up additional time. He is just blowing off a little steam about the people he works with taking advantage of their union status and taking a rediculous amount of sick days.

I've talked to people who work at the Giant Eagle supermarket I go to, and they've told me people take a lot of days off (allegedly sick days) because the union says they can do so with impunity. They get sick of it, as I'm sure I would also at times.

Overtime pay is governed by each individual state and depends on the job status whether or not the employee is part time or full time. It may also depend on how big or small the company is.

In my work, I get overtime after 8 hours work in one day. However, it isn't like that for the subs. They don't get overtime until they work over 40 hours in a week and in that way, they can be worked 10 hours a day for four days and not get paid any overtime. Of course that will give them three days off during the week and I can't tell you how many unions have been trying to get this schedule. Anyway, if I were to put in 10 hours a day for four days, I would get 32 hours of regular pay and 8 hours of overtime.

BTW, speaking of sick days, I have accumulated 2250 hours of sick leave that I can take. I am not one who abuses sick leave. But get this, a couple of years back, I took 40 hours of FMLA to take care of my wife after some surgery she had. A couple of months later, our new station manager took anyone who had taken anything other than annual leave into her office for a discussion. When my turn came around, she first told me how much leave time I have accumulated over my entire time with the PO and since I have used some of that time, she asked if it was all necessary! I smirked and said of course it was necessary, especially the last leave I took. She frowned and said to see if I could do better!! While that was stupid on her part, here's more. She talked to two supervisors and berated them for taking sick leave. One of them had surgery and the other had a heart attack. Now while all of this sounds very stupid, the woman who was doing all the talking about using sick leave had...get this, only 48 hours of leave herself...and she had been working for the PO for over 25 years.

Sorry for that long story, but I wanted Andy to see how the rest of the work force goes.

Once again, I find myself in the strange position of backing up Andy. I think he is glad to have a job, and sometimes even the extra money he gets for picking up additional time. He is just blowing off a little steam about the people he works with taking advantage of their union status and taking a rediculous amount of sick days.

I've talked to people who work at the Giant Eagle supermarket I go to, and they've told me people take a lot of days off (allegedly sick days) because the union says they can do so with impunity. They get sick of it, as I'm sure I would also at times.

Yep. They all bytch that they don't get enough hours. Then when they get hours, they don't want to work them because there's a party to go to somewhere.

It's an age thing. They're young, immature and irresponsible. And knowing there is no penalty for calling out sick (unless it's three consecutive days without a doctors note) inspires even more irresponsibility.

Shoot, I had a doctors note that said I needed to be off work for a week. After two days, I was back at work even though I was sick as hell.

I don't normally mind working extra (even though I have school). I don't know very many people around here and it's a great excuse to be out of the house and doing something. It's just frustrating that, at least twice a week, I'm asked to stay late because the workload is large and certain individuals call out.

And don't even get me started on the kids who "forget" about graduation, don't request off, then end up not showing up at work while those of us who already have plans have to march our happy asses inside and work.

Or the ****y little **** "cheerleader" who thinks she can push her work off on all the guys by flirting with them. She was mighty disappointed when she realized I'm 6 years older than her and not going to play in to her game... actually, she was pissed off. :)

Overtime pay is governed by each individual state and depends on the job status whether or not the employee is part time or full time. It may also depend on how big or small the company is.

In my work, I get overtime after 8 hours work in one day. However, it isn't like that for the subs. They don't get overtime until they work over 40 hours in a week and in that way, they can be worked 10 hours a day for four days and not get paid any overtime. Of course that will give them three days off during the week and I can't tell you how many unions have been trying to get this schedule. Anyway, if I were to put in 10 hours a day for four days, I would get 32 hours of regular pay and 8 hours of overtime.

BTW, speaking of sick days, I have accumulated 2250 hours of sick leave that I can take. I am not one who abuses sick leave. But get this, a couple of years back, I took 40 hours of FMLA to take care of my wife after some surgery she had. A couple of months later, our new station manager took anyone who had taken anything other than annual leave into her office for a discussion. When my turn came around, she first told me how much leave time I have accumulated over my entire time with the PO and since I have used some of that time, she asked if it was all necessary! I smirked and said of course it was necessary, especially the last leave I took. She frowned and said to see if I could do better!! While that was stupid on her part, here's more. She talked to two supervisors and berated them for taking sick leave. One of them had surgery and the other had a heart attack. Now while all of this sounds very stupid, the woman who was doing all the talking about using sick leave had...get this, only 48 hours of leave herself...and she had been working for the PO for over 25 years.

Sorry for that long story, but I wanted Andy to see how the rest of the work force goes.

I understand that... I'm just saying, as far as these damn kids go, wanting to get drunk is not an excuse to take off work.

If they were out every so often, it's one thing. But you aren't "sick" if you're out at the bar later that night.

Hell, if your party means that much to you, ask someone else to cover your shift. I took New Year's Day because one of my co-woekers wanted to party New Year's Eve. Or they can try talking to management to see if they'll allow them to take that day off (so management can prepare and try to bring in some additional help). I've never gone through the union and find management to be reasonable with my schedule requests most of the time. But it's a two-way street.

Okay, I'm officially pissed off now.

So I put in for vacation on April 15th. They said I couldn't take a full week because they absolutely need me on Thursdays and that I need to be there Easter. I told them that's fine. So I took six days off (five paid vacation days).

Two weeks ago, they told me it was good and I'm good to go for my vacation. Well, they never sent it in, put it in or approved it. So I asked them about it and they said that the other guy (one who keeps not showing up) cut back his availability and can only work Saturday mornings until June or July. But they also said it shouldn't be a problem, they just won't know until April 13th (that's right, two DAYS before my vacation would take effect) if I can go or not.

I politely told them that I need time off and that I'm either taking my vacation in April or I'm putting in for vacation during finals in May (when they can't deny your vacation) and that it will involve me taking a Thursday off.

I mean, we're doing more business than ever before. We're doing more business now than we did during the holidays, and we have people not showing up ever creating even more work for those of us who do... and the vacation is something that I am entitled (by contract) to. I worked long and hard to build up my vacation time.

At the very least, I'd like it if they were straight up with me... either approve it or deny it, don't make me wait a month especially if they're going to say, "Sorry, the other guy doesn't want to work this week so no vacation for you" two days before I'd be leaving. I don't give a **** if they approve it or not, just let me know.

Okay, I'm officially pissed off now.

So I put in for vacation on April 15th. They said I couldn't take a full week because they absolutely need me on Thursdays and that I need to be there Easter. I told them that's fine. So I took six days off (five paid vacation days).

Two weeks ago, they told me it was good and I'm good to go for my vacation. Well, they never sent it in, put it in or approved it. So I asked them about it and they said that the other guy (one who keeps not showing up) cut back his availability and can only work Saturday mornings until June or July. But they also said it shouldn't be a problem, they just won't know until April 13th (that's right, two DAYS before my vacation would take effect) if I can go or not.

I politely told them that I need time off and that I'm either taking my vacation in April or I'm putting in for vacation during finals in May (when they can't deny your vacation) and that it will involve me taking a Thursday off.

I mean, we're doing more business than ever before. We're doing more business now than we did during the holidays, and we have people not showing up ever creating even more work for those of us who do... and the vacation is something that I am entitled (by contract) to. I worked long and hard to build up my vacation time.

At the very least, I'd like it if they were straight up with me... either approve it or deny it, don't make me wait a month especially if they're going to say, "Sorry, the other guy doesn't want to work this week so no vacation for you" two days before I'd be leaving. I don't give a **** if they approve it or not, just let me know.
So, call out sick like everyone else does,and get a doctors note and use your sick time if you have any.
Then,when you come back,go on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom