Worst Race in Nascar history?

Go Panthers

We are the people our parents warned us about
Which race in NASCAR's history do you believe is the worst ever?

I've seen a lot of races, but not able to go over 10 laps on a set of tires makes yesterday's Brickyard the worst I've ever seen.

The worst race I've seen was the one at Loudon where they ran restrictor plates. There was no passing, Jeff Burton led all 300 laps. At least these guys could race for the few laps they could run. That Loudon race was a bigger joke.

The worst race I've seen was the one at Loudon where they ran restrictor plates. There was no passing, Jeff Burton led all 300 laps. At least these guys could race for the few laps they could run. That Loudon race was a bigger joke.

Denny Hamlin led the entire Richmond race until his tire blew out, but there was still a lot of passing and a lot of great racing all around the track. :idunno:

Indianapolis sucked.:bazooka:

Indy got more bad press for being a crappy race than Loudon did at the time though. I mean everyone is talking about the Indy race and how bad it was. It's actually embarrassing to call myself a Nascar fan this morning.

I still think the "levegated" disaster at Charlotte was the worst. Indy was bad, but there were still ONLY 2 torn up cars. Charlotte tore up everyone.

yea but thats because nascar threw a caution every 10 laps.......

So, we still go back to the question --- would you have rather NASCAR NOT throw the yellows and see how many cars bit the fence?

The race was sad, at best, but NASCAR did the right thing with the cautions otherwise it would have been a crashfest and someone could well have been seriously injured.

So, we still go back to the question --- would you have rather NASCAR NOT throw the yellows and see how many cars bit the fence?
This is true.

The 2000 NHMS race was pretty clear what happened. In short, you can describe NASCAR's reaction to the deaths of Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin in two words: knee jerk.

Yesterday, they clearly had to do something as bad as the track and tire was.

Goodyear sucks.

The race was sad, at best, but NASCAR did the right thing with the cautions otherwise it would have been a crashfest and someone could well have been seriously injured.

I agree completly....nascar made the right call yesterday....although they didnt make the right call when it comes to testing.....

I agree completly....nascar made the right call yesterday....although they didnt make the right call when it comes to testing.....
Too bad Keebler Elf wrecked Harvick before the caution. :mad:

I was starting to forget about him but there he is, wrecking Harvick again. :mad:

I was at the 'Levigated Race' at Charlotte... that's the only thing that keeps it from being the worst for me.

I had to try and watch yesterday's farce through 5 billion commercials

I know people were disappointed with the race, but what would you have them do? Should they have postponed the race after the first fifty or sixty laps and come back another day? And blaming Goodyear for this fiasco is not the answer either. There is enough blame to go around to everyone from NASCAR to the track owners as well. It was a real cluster f--k without a doubt, but they had to carry on anyway. It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and complain about everything that went wrong, but I dare to say that no one knew this was going to happen. So many people didn't like the race, but I did get to see some good racing, albeit a bunch of heat races. There was plenty of passing though you might not have seen it on TV, but just look at what Elliott Sadler did in that last heat. Went from 14th to 4th. Now that is some passing.

"We have considered and discussed wider tires, taller tires and different configurations," said Greg Stucker, Goodyear's director of racing. "We're always looking at different ways to address this. It's something we'll continue to look at. But it's something that has to go hand in hand with the teams and NASCAR."

(ESPN site comment) If they (NASCAR, Goodyear, teams, etc.) really think the COT is the culprit, why don't they take a Nationwide car or an old Nextel car to Indy and run a few laps on this batch of tires? Seems like an easy first step to see if it really is an issue with the COT, or if the issue is with this batch of Goodyear tires.

I agree with the commentor- lets put an old/n'wide/arca car out there and see if it's really the COT.

I would say treat it like a road course car and dirt car at the same time- Run medium compounds on the front tires, slightly harder compounds in the back, make the left front 28" tall and current width, right front 28.5" tall and current width, left rear 28.5" tall and 1" wider, and right rear 29" tall (for a 1" stagger) and 1" wider.

That will fix the "tight in the middle" issue by making the car inherantly loose. Then use the sway and track bars to tighen it up. Give the teams a 5 degree window from 30 to 35 degrees on the wing.

Taking rear wing out (30 degrees) will make the car faster and loosen it up. However, too loose will slide the rear tires and wear them out. But there will be less downforce on the tire.

Putting rear wing in (35 degrees) will make the car slower and tighten it up. But now the tire will be very weighted, but it won't be sliding around.

NASCAR is not about to let the teams test an old car there. It would make them look foolish if it turned out the car was the problem. They don't like being proven wrong.

Heard an interesting comment from Jerry Punch on the radio today. He said if Bill France Jr. was still alive today and running NASCAR, that France would probably have a meeting to say let's put these cars out back and build some cars these guys can race. He added that he hoped the ones that are in charge did have a similar type meeting today. Sounds like Doc is not a fan of the COT.

NASCAR is not about to let the teams test an old car there. It would make them look foolish if it turned out the car was the problem. They don't like being proven wrong.

Heard an interesting comment from Jerry Punch on the radio today. He said if Bill France Jr. was still alive today and running NASCAR, that France would probably have a meeting to say let's put these cars out back and build some cars these guys can race. He added that he hoped the ones that are in charge did have a similar type meeting today. Sounds like Doc is not a fan of the COT.

I think you're absolutely right. BF will do anything he can to place the blame somewhere other thn his precious COT. Nascar leadership wants to appear infallible, and they certainly couldn't do that if they made any sort of motion that there might be (gads) something wrong with the COT.

Really....it doesn't race well on the 1.5 miles, it doesn't race well at Indy, it doesn't race well just about anywhere. But it's here to stay:mad:

Really....it doesn't race well on the 1.5 miles, it doesn't race well at Indy, it doesn't race well just about anywhere. But it's here to stay:mad:

It looks like last year's NASCAR to me. Perhaps, maybe, the big tracks just have sucky races. :idunno:

I'd have a hard time nominating any race where they didn't use restricter plates as the worst race ever.

I feel that nascar jumped the gun on bringing the COT full time. Safety should be #1 and it is a very safe car but Indy, and other races this year, proved that it is not ready to race. NASCAR should be embarrassed over what took place Sunday. A public apology is in order to the fans that spent money and showed up to the race and for the fans at home that had to suffer through 2 hours worth of commercials.

There are two races a year I have to watch or I'll be miserable for weeks, the 500 in IRL and the 400 in nascar. I love those two races, love the build up and everything. Nascar broke my heart with that crap Sunday. To the more die hard nascar fans here, that would be like running 10-12 laps at a time at Daytona or Bristol.

NASCAR apologizes for Indianapolis tire fiasco: NASCAR apologized Tuesday for the tire fiasco that ruined its prestigious race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and vowed to avoid a repeat. A durability issue with the tires Goodyear brought to Indy forced NASCAR to call cautions every 10 to 12 laps on Sunday to slow the action and force teams to change their tires before they failed. The longest run under the green flag was 13 laps, and Jimmie Johnson claimed the victory at the end of a seven-lap sprint to the finish in the second-slowest race in the 15 years NASCAR has competed at the Brickyard. "I can't say enough how sorry we are and it's our responsibility being NASCAR that we don't go through this situation again," said Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition. "The race didn't come off like we had hoped, the fans didn't get what they exactly wanted and we'll do everything in our power - it won't happen again, I can tell you that much." NASCAR must first figure out why Goodyear's tires struggled so mightily at Indianapolis. The only thing that is certain is that the tire compound Goodyear selected was not strong enough when combined with NASCAR's current car. Goodyear plans to return to Indianapolis later this year to conduct another tire test. NASCAR is currently working on a new testing policy that would give teams more testing dates and freedom to choose the tracks. NASCAR officials spoke Tuesday morning with both Goodyear officials and Indianapolis president Joie Chitwood, as all parties tried to move forward. Track chairman Tony George was adamant in an interview with The Indianapolis Star that the surface was not a factor in Sunday's debacle. Pemberton agreed there is nothing wrong with the track, and in admitting NASCAR is deeply affected by the fiasco, vowed the issue will be corrected before next year's return. "It hurts us whenever we have a weekend like we had," Pemberton said. "There's nothing worse than coming away from a race and knowing the result was ... it wasn't even close. It wasn't even in the 25th percentile of what we're capable of doing and what we do week in and week out."(Associated Press)(7-29-2008)

Apparently they're not that sorry; I haven't heard of any ticket price refunds for the fans.

Back
Top Bottom