Wurz to replace Pizzonia at Jag?

B

BebiF1

The word is that Jaguar has offered current test driver for McLaren, Alex Wurz, a seat for the rest of the season after Pizzonia's lack of pace and finishes compared to the equal chassis being run by his teammate Mark Webber who has qualified very well and has run races to back them up. Wurz's father has told his son that he should stick with McLaren's roles and not take the seat. Wurz has still yet to make an announcement regarding his decision.

My thoughts on this are, of course you take the seat! You have to be crazy to turn down a grid spot in F1. Not everyone gets to drive and it is really hard to get a seat in the first place, let alone a fairly good team like Jaguar who has been showing major improvements each year since their debute in 1999.

yeah, instincts would tell you to go for the grid for Jag, but imagine how hard it would be to leave an team thats named Mclaren. Tough call, more of a risk to go with Jag, but thats something you have to do sometimes. I think hes gotta take it and establish some credit in his name if it comes down to it, personally I think Jag is just throwing words to put Pizza in a go like hell situation.

Uhh, the throwing around of words is a little more true than thought. Jag has made an official offer for Wurz's duties to replace Pizzonia hopefully for the Austrian GP (his home race). I think he must take it the offer. He is a race car driver, that is what he does. His job is to find a seat in the highest form of auto racing, that only a select group is qualified for. Whats the worst that could happen. He surely cant do worse than Pizzonia and at the worst he would not have another ride next year, back to McLaren then. The alternatives are huge. He could make awsome progress, develope the car, win with Jag or get on a team that has the potential to win like Renault, Toyota, or BAR.

Go for it Wurz!! As long as Webber still is #1 driver! :D

Being half-Austrian and half-Australian I would be overwhelmed patriotically, which is fantastic in Formula 1 as there aren't that many nationalities.

I don't believe there is an American ATM, right?

Wurz is a great driver, nice bloke (met him @ the Oz GP), and should be able to bring some info from McLaren, hopefully!

I think you'll find Wurz wouldn't go from a test driver to GP driver @ McLaren, so the future there is only testing...and lets face it...he's a racer...and he's been out of it for a while and I'm sure he's really missing it!

No American drivers now, no.

Until it happens all we've got is the canuck! (or until he goes to CART) ;)

Originally posted by Tiger@Apr 30 2003, 11:50 PM
So when are you guys going to pull your thumbs out? :p
hey, we got Townsend Bell and Derek Hill in F3000. Look out herr we come :)

ok, i'm all up on it. Pizzonia denied threats a week or so ago....
Pizzonia denies firing threat
24/4/2003 - 16:46

Antonio Pizzonia said he was surprised with the news reported this thursday (24) by British press saying he could lose his place at Jaguar after the Spanish GP of May 4th. Nav Sidhu, team spokesman, has said in an interview to The Guardian that the Brazilian's position is under review.

"Obviously I was very surprised with the news. My manager contacted Jaguar's management, who once more assured total support to my work and said they would investigate the rumours and declarations that appeared in Britain", stated Pizzonia in a statement released by his PR

then today...

"We have made an agreement with Alex", said a source at Jaguar quoted in Kronen Zeitung.
"Alex Wurz went to England Thursday, where he negotiated with Jaguar (...) there are only a few details to take care of." declared the Austrian newspaper.
"Unfortunately I cannot say anything" said the Austrian driver.

They've changed a lot of things in so few years that it's made it real hard for them to perform to optimum level. Why should now a good decission to drop Pizzonia if it was before a so good decission? What strategy does Jaguar have?

Sure I have riduculed Pizza, but given 2 out of the 4 races has had suspension failures, plus he out qualified MW at Maylasia. Its just that he buckles under race pressure. Either stick with him and let him develop, which there in no time todo in f1, perform or out.

Mclaren has probally developed more drivers over the years and Werz in no exception. He has got to take it, if Pizza is out. I'm sure Ron Dennis will let him leave, although him remaining in the tester seat for mclaren is a possibility but highly unlikely.

Its all frantic right now, but i think Pizzonia has Barcelona to prove his worth or he will be out of a job. Not quite sure why he got an F1 seat, he tested for Williams but was nothing special in F3000 last year. Williams says that Pizzonia is still a little "shy" or something that he hasnt shown his true potential and says that they know because of all the testing hes done. So in other words, Williams thinks he good and Jag wants to give him the boot. No americans in F1 right now, but got a couple on the F3000 grid. GO USA!!!

With regards to, the American drivers, I woudnt get too excited just yet If I was u. Derek Hill isnt going to make it into F1 I am afraid, hes in the 2nd part of his 2nd year, and he still has yet to score a points finish. Im not saying hes a bad driver, but hes not F1 standard, perhaps the CWS would be a better option for him? Townsend Bell though, well he is a driver doing a good job at the moment, okay he hasnt scored any points so far, but hes closer to doing so than Hill if u ask me. And hes only in his 1st season, and only 2 races into the championship, and he knows none of the tracks.

Ive got no doubt that we will have a American driver in F1 within the next 10 years or so, who though, or when I do not know. At the moment though Id say the best chance for America has for a USA F1 driver to make it to F1 would be Townsend Bell. I hope he does it, followed him in CART a little bit last year, and hes a good driver, and a nice guy.

Back
Top Bottom