XenForo 2.1 update

fury

Internet god with an inferiority complex
Staff member
Sorry for the overnight outage. I kinda passed out just before hitting the button to finish the upgrade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me know if anything looks super broken :beerbang:

Last edited:
Thanks for all your work Fury. I feel like when I first jumped in Windows 10 :).

Thanks for all your work Fury. I feel like when I first jumped in Windows 10 :).
Hopefully we don't shove as many forced automatic updates down your throat as Windows 10...this one was just sort of a "some stuff's broke on the version we've been using the last few years, lessee what this button does" kind of thing.

I bought a new plugin for the shoutbox since the old one was never updated for the new XenForo, copied everything over from the old one, will try to get things loading faster and try a couple other styles to see if they look better, but got a busy day at work and other work today, I'm happy it's at least kinda working at the moment.

It will take a while for me to get used to the new site. Honestly not a fan of it right now but I'll keep an open mind

It will take a while for me to get used to the new site. Honestly not a fan of it right now but I'll keep an open mind
I just got acquainted with Windows 10 the last 2 weeks, so this new look doesn't bother me at all. I'm in.

I have around 3 inches on both sides of the main body that are blank. Any way to change the margins on both sides. Lots of wasted space both sides and the text and graphics are smaller than the older version.

This, I'm sure I'll get used to it, I use pretty much just my phone browser to use the site so it's an adjustment. Though I do like that the new post button is easy to get to again.

I have around 3 inches on both sides of the main body that are blank. Any way to change the margins on both sides. Lots of wasted space both sides and the text and graphics are smaller than the older version.
My pages are spread from one side to the other. No wasted space. Maybe it depends on your screen settings.

Sorry for the overnight outage. I kinda passed out just before hitting the button to finish the upgrade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me know if anything looks super broken :beerbang:
Looks awesome Bud.
Only thing I've noticed is how the Arrow to take you to the top of the thread disappears sometimes or you have to wait for it to appear......and sometimes not at all.

It looks like you have to actively start scrolling for the arrow to appear.

Reactions: Pat
My pages are spread from one side to the other. No wasted space. Maybe it depends on your screen settings.
Mine has empty space on the sides when I use Full Screen. But I don't normally use Full Screen. I adjust the edges to make it not as wide so the empty space goes away

Is the board slightly slower to load for you guys? It is for me. Certain things load quite slow. And by slow I mean like less than a second but it's enough that it's noticeable.

Is the board slightly slower to load for you guys? It is for me. Certain things load quite slow. And by slow I mean like less than a second but it's enough that it's noticeable.
Seems the same or a bit faster on my end.

Mine is also fixed width. But i prefer that, my eyes can't scan the full monitor width.

Mine is also fixed width. But i prefer that, my eyes can't scan the full monitor width.
It seemed to me that the earlier version had wider margins, not a full screen and it seemed with a darker background in contrast, the posts stood out better

I usually connect via iPhone.

I must be slow because I cannot see how to edit a just-posted comment.

What am I missing?

EDT - disregard. I just found the little dots that brought up the edit feature.

Mine has empty space on the sides when I use Full Screen. But I don't normally use Full Screen. I adjust the edges to make it not as wide so the empty space goes away
The template was set to progressive width up to 1200 pixel wide, at which point it stopped and self-centered.

I bumped it up to 1400 pixels, and made the sidebar a bit wider too (for the homepage).

Can we get the blackend blue skin back?

the default Dark is trash, no offense, @fury. lol

You did a good job everywhere else that I can see.
I don't think they've done a new version that works for 2.1, so I'm looking for others in the XenForo resource directory to see if I can find a suitable replacement.

It's actually more like 7 seconds for me, so I dunno what's going on there...

Fans of the old Blackend style, let me know your thoughts

I've installed a new one called "Shades of Grey - Blue text"

Other than that, the closest I can find is one of PixelExit's new pro styles: https://pixelexit.com/demo/?theme=Apex

The newest "Blackend" looks like it's only available in red. That may be a trivially solvable problem, though. https://pixelexit.com/demo/?theme=Blackened Pro

They have some other styles available in their dropdowns (either at the top left or the bottom left)

Check those out and let me know if any of them look like they're worth giving it a go

Fans of the old Blackend style, let me know your thoughts

I've installed a new one called "Shades of Grey - Blue text"

Other than that, the closest I can find is one of PixelExit's new pro styles: https://pixelexit.com/demo/?theme=Apex

The newest "Blackend" looks like it's only available in red. That may be a trivially solvable problem, though. https://pixelexit.com/demo/?theme=Blackened Pro

They have some other styles available in their dropdowns (either at the top left or the bottom left)

Check those out and let me know if any of them look like they're worth giving it a go

That Apex one looks good to me. Relatively the same as Blackened Blue but less bold. I'm fine with that one.

Did you uninstalled the Shades of Grey? Is not listed here under the other skins.

I was using Blackend Orange before. The Default Dark theme is working well for me for now.

I like the shades of grey just a shave more than default dark. The subtle change from avatar to body is much better and makes the font pop a little more. The front seems to have a little extra stroke too, or maybe it's just a whiter white? The blue also helps the breadcrumbs and links stand out, and the green is a nice accent.

Oh - something to tweak in the CSS. Transparent images (like some signatures here) are dark-over-dark. Need to add a #fff or #ccc to the image background property. Let me see if I can find it in the styles?

Last edited:
That Apex one looks good to me. Relatively the same as Blackened Blue but less bold. I'm fine with that one.

Did you uninstalled the Shades of Grey? Is not listed here under the other skins.
Fixed.

I like the shades of grey just a shave more than default dark. The subtle change from avatar to body is much better and makes the font pop a little more. The front seems to have a little extra stroke too, or maybe it's just a whiter white? The blue also helps the breadcrumbs and links stand out, and the green is a nice accent.

Oh - something to tweak in the CSS. Transparent images (like some signatures here) are dark-over-dark. Need to add a #fff or #ccc to the image background property. Let me see if I can find it in the styles?

OK I added a light gray to signature images only. @DewChaser988 is what brought my attention to it. I think it only affects the Shades of Grey template.

I totally agree.

The font's accent is more pronounced. You can now clearly tell which threads you visited because the links become...what's the word...de-font? Point is the blue on grey (Looks more blacker than grey to me) makes it easier to identify new and old threads as oposed to the dark default which was white either way.

Also makes the user profile on the left look more alive. Good job @Magnethead and @fury

Quick test of transparent image in message body:
If this appears as black over black and all you see is the flags, let me know and I'll adjust the themes more.
EDIT: No worky on Default Dark. Just switch to Shades of Grey (bottom left corner) and be good with it ;)

1200px-Daytona_International_Speedway_logo.svg.png

Quick test of emoji in message body:

:):bounce::bazooka::puffin::XXROFL:

Last edited:
Thank you for keeping this forum running, fury.

There are a few questions I have:
1- Would it be possible to widen the name bar a few pixels? The last letter in my username is in the next line below.
2- Would it be possible to return to square avatars instead of circle avatars?
3- How do I edit my signature? I can't find the setting for it anywhere.

1- Would it be possible to widen the name bar a few pixels? The last letter in my username is in the next line below.
2- Would it be possible to return to square avatars instead of circle avatars?
3- How do I edit my signature? I can't find the setting for it anywhere.

1- Done
2- I decreased the radius so now they're more squarish
3- Top right corner, click your name, signature is last option on the left

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom