Xfinity RACE thread --- Charlotte Roval

Bonehead should be nascar making these guys drive through unlit areas like drunk campers. And they did.

Congratulations to Allmendinger!!!
checkbanana.gif

I watched some of it, enough to tune back and forth. It was honestly better than I thought knowing the forecast going. I'm still not a fan of rovals in general but there's a lot of info from racing in rain like that which can be used moving forward.

I felt bad for the drivers having to race in that rain with what to be terrible glare at times. I know I struggle driving in the rain at night and I have good vision. Especially on the highway. Mad respect for those guys. That was brutally tough....

I watched some of it, enough to tune back and forth. It was honestly better than I thought knowing the forecast going. I'm still not a fan of rovals in general but there's a lot of info from racing in rain like that which can be used moving forward.

I felt bad for the drivers having to race in that rain with what to be terrible glare at times. I know I struggle driving in the rain at night and I have good vision. Especially on the highway. Mad respect for those guys. That was brutally tough....
Much better race than any plate track. At least here you had some chance of being in control of your destiny. I loved it.

Much better race than any plate track. At least here you had some chance of being in control of your destiny. I loved it.

Absolutely! Those guys had to work for everything out there and use good judgment! I honestly found it pretty enjoyable! My only real issue is the track layout is a little too hokey imo. If they want Charlotte to be a quasi road course facility I wish they could find a way for them to leave the oval along the back stretch and then re-enter around turn 3. I'm pretty sure NHIS's road course is like that.

I wish they could find a way for them to leave the oval along the back stretch and then re-enter around turn 3. I'm pretty sure NHIS's road course is like that
Yes, NH is like that but the outside-the-oval portion isn't wide enough for NASCAR's top 3 series.

That was wild without being stupid. Reminded me of a motocross mud race. Nice win for AJ, surprised Briscoe lost it on the last restart.

Last edited:
Yes, NH is like that but the outside-the-oval portion isn't wide enough for NASCAR's top 3 series.

I'm just using NHIS as a template. Charlotte has plenty of land behind the backstraight to make for a better, truly unique hybrid "roval". As you said in another thread the need to work on drainage for sure. I think if they want to make this a regular thing and part of the playoffs then do it truly right imo. Make a track worthy in all aspects; layout, drainage, spectator access, lighting etc.

That was wild without being stupid. It reminded me of a motocross mud race. Nice win for AJ, surprised Briscoe lost it on the last restart.
I've said it before, gonna say it again, they can fix both Daytona & Talladega by putting some jumps and a couple whoops sections in. Maybe even a mud-pit/sippy hole.

I thought it was an entertaining race and because I was forewarned last week I knew NBC would not finish the race on this station so I went to TSN and saw it all. I suppose Briscoe decided it was all or nothing and gave the race to #16.

I thought Briscoe was trying to get the last N'th out of the car and the car got light topping that little hill. Those guys were so on the edge

hate I missed it! Need to find a replay . What snippits I 've seen on the ALMS
race, it looked like a lot of problem solving, and thats what I like a bit of in racing.

From the comments , it looked like a jolly good time !

Just finished watching. Man that was fun! I'd love to see it again on Sunday, but not too sure with thunderstorms in the forecast. At least we only have to worry about a 30 minute delay between lightning strikes.

hate I missed it! Need to find a replay . What snippits I 've seen on the ALMS
race, it looked like a lot of problem solving, and thats what I like a bit of in racing.

From the comments , it looked like a jolly good time !

If you have cable, just watch the replay on the NBC Sports app. That's what I did.

@Spotter22 , how much help do you think a spotter is today when the cars on the back in the rain?
Sorry bud, had company come over and got offline. Down the back stretch it would be business as usual but in the "infield " portion not a whole hell of a lot except letting them know where the car behind them is running and watch in front of them for problems, like spinning cars, car sitting in the middle of the track just waiting for traffic to come so they put it in gear and put you in the wall ( can you believe that shat?) Never had to spot in the rain so there are probably elements im missing like " look out for that puddle"!! Or dont touch that paint! lol. Crazy stuff but it was fun to watch.

I was impressed with how well the drivers did considering they drove under heavy rain (you can't practice that). I suspect wiper designs will improve or RainX will become better.

Back
Top Bottom