Xfinity RACE thread -- Darlington

Such a shame that ending couldn't have been a lead into to the Derby on NBC. That was just pure old school racing at its finest!

Your quote really stuck with me.

Every NASCAR TV promotion person is probably wondering ‘what if?’ on the advertising boost for new fans they just squandered by sticking to schedule.

Good lord, Ross Chastain can’t catch a break from guys coming in who aren’t running for points who ruin his chances at winning. First Allmindinger tries to block his RF fender off and wrecks them and now Hamlin pulls an idiotic slide job with no prayer of sticking and wrecks them both.

There should be a stiff penalty for non-points earning drivers racing like this. It’s bad enough during the regular season and even more flagrant during the playoffs, especially with “win and youre in”.

Yeah Denny raced it clean, tried to stay off of him, nothing to be mad about. Ross had to know he was going to slide job/wall check him, all he had to was pull low but was running too hard high line and hit the wall himself, ran into the back of him, needed to setup the crossover.

Denny drove on egg shells the whole last 10 laps. You could tell he was faster, but didn’t want to rough up an Xfinity regular.

I hate to say it, cause I know the internet loves the guy, but Ross Chastain has proved the last two races why he isn’t being looked at for a top Cup ride.

No question he’s talented. Drove his balls off the whole last run to hold off Denny with a 5th place car. But he’s not a smart racer. Instead of anticipating the 54 slide jobbing his way into the wall and setting up a cross over, just goes full send it and plows into the back of him.

This after cleaning out AJ at Daytona. Two weeks in a row he’s gifted the win to the 3rd place car.

Last edited:
Denny drove on egg shells the whole last 10 laps. You could tell he was faster, but didn’t want to rough up an Xfinity regular.

I hate to say it, cause I know the internet loves the guy, but Ross Chastain has proved the last two races why he isn’t being looked at for a top Cup ride.

No question he’s talented. Drove his balls off the whole last run to hold off Denny with a 5th place car. But he’s not a smart racer. Instead of anticipating the 54 slide jobbing his way into the wall and setting up a cross over, just goes full send it plows into the back of him.

This after cleaning out AJ at Daytona. Two weeks in a row he’s gifted the win to the 3rd place car.

100% agreed.

His shtick is getting old. He has to work soooo much harder than anyone else to get a golden opportunity. Boo hoo.

I like the idea of racing aggressive and the mentality of always going for the win, but you gotta be smart about it. He has the talent but doesn't have the brains.

couldn't have been any different take I have, Chastain didn't let Hamlin have a cheap crappy pass to win the race. Chastain still finished the race in second place.

Yeah Denny raced it clean, tried to stay off of him, nothing to be mad about. Ross had to know he was going to slide job/wall check him, all he had to was pull low but was running too hard high line and hit the wall himself, ran into the back of him, needed to setup the crossover.
Looking at it after the fact as a monday morning QB is much easier than being clairvoyant at 150mph while the event is actually occurring. Ross has no way to tell what Denny is going to do, he attacked every lane for the last 15 laps. Ross did kiss the wall as Denny pulled his hail mary but Ross was able to turn off of it, but nobody would be able to slow down enough while turning in that banked corner to avoid the #54 after what Denny did. A few laps prior to that, Denny put Ross in the wall and knocked the #10’s trunk loose.

If guys like Denny coming into the lower series, especially during the playoffs, are going to make such hailmary moves they better be talented enough not to wreck themselves and take their competitor out with them.

Instead of anticipating the 54 slide jobbing his way into the wall and setting up a cross over, just goes full send it and plows into the back of him.

It’s easier to sit back after the events played out to say “oh he shoulda anticipated that!” but Ross has no idea what Denny is going to do. I would expect a driver of Denny’s talent to not wreck himself in the first turn of the last lap.

Ross didnt clean AJ out at Daytona. Ross had two tires on the yellow line and AJ kept coming down. Ross has nowhere to go, AJ had his choice to drag race or block and chose the latter. Dumb move. Wrecked him and his teammate.

Good lord, Ross Chastain can’t catch a break from guys coming in who aren’t running for points who ruin his chances at winning. First Allmindinger tries to block his RF fender off and wrecks them and now Hamlin pulls an idiotic slide job with no prayer of sticking and wrecks them both.

There should be a stiff penalty for non-points earning drivers racing like this. It’s bad enough during the regular season and even more flagrant during the playoffs, especially with “win and youre in”.
Somebody needs glasses

Looking at it after the fact as a monday morning QB is much easier than being clairvoyant at 150mph while the event is actually occurring. Ross has no way to tell what Denny is going to do, he attacked every lane for the last 15 laps. Ross did kiss the wall as Denny pulled his hail mary but Ross was able to turn off of it, but nobody would be able to slow down enough while turning in that banked corner to avoid the #54 after what Denny did. A few laps prior to that, Denny put Ross in the wall and knocked the #10’s trunk loose.

If guys like Denny coming into the lower series, especially during the playoffs, are going to make such hailmary moves they better be talented enough not to wreck themselves and take their competitor out with them.

That's true, easier to judge from the couch.

From what I saw though, it was very obvious to know what Denny was going to do going down the inside on him, that's in Ross's line of vision easy, and he had already tried to slide job him unsuccessfully. Not able to drive thru him, he had to pull low, there's no other choice. It looks like that's what Ross tried to do, but he lost the backend into the wall, then ran into the back Hamlin barely clipping him trying to turn down. Almost made it difference of a foot. If he had changed his arc just a tad sooner anticipating he was going to have to clear Hamlin's car, then he probably makes it. Easier said than done at a place like Darlington.

So that's why I don't think it's a massive indictment on Ross's ability. I expect him to learn from this. It's why he's in Xfinity. Development. That's fine. And that's why I agree he's not being looked at in Cup for a top ride (right this second). Polish your skills in Xfinity. Darlington seems to be one of his best tracks.

I thought Denny handled him real clean (for Darlington). That was just straight up hard racing between 2 talented driver's going at it lap after lap, good stuff.

Brandon Jones looks like Superman in the Xfinity Series. He's also in one of the best cars in the series.

And? Lol. Allgaier and Chastain are better drivers but haven't taken advantage of a watered down xfinity field this year. Like him or not at least Brandon has won 3 times, and a truck race to boot. I don't get how guys like Brandon jones get crapped on but NASCAR fans love Daniel Hemric who hasn't won a single race in any NASCAR series.

I couldn't believe they did that in the juiciest part of the race, at the drop of a green flag.... and for Kentucky Derby Pre-Race FLUFF.

Bonehead Award coming!
Yeah, that was pretty crappy.

And? Lol. Allgaier and Chastain are better drivers but haven't taken advantage of a watered down xfinity field this year. Like him or not at least Brandon has won 3 times, and a truck race to boot. I don't get how guys like Brandon jones get crapped on but NASCAR fans love Daniel Hemric who hasn't won a single race in any NASCAR series.
Don't know about watered down, The Xfinity regulars beat both of preachers/yotas high buck cupper attempts at both Darlingtons

Thought it was interesting listening to the Yota shills in the booth drooling about Denny and giving a wheel by wheel account of Hamlin..oh he's favored 5 to 1 over the field, or here comes Denny this or Denny that, and mr. Darlington the whole race. And then the rest of the NBC circus trying to egg Chastain on, and he shuts them down. If anybody will say something stupid it will be Denny.

Since I often am watching races on delay of a half hour up to several hours the channel change without previous knowledge boned me out of seeing the awesome finish until this evening when I found if on Youtube. I hope no horsey fans had to miss any pomp and circumstance in the several hours leading up to a race that takes what, about a minute and change to actually run?
NBC, you don't have to work so hard to make me hate a network that invents its news as well as misrepresents or outright lies about must things. I couldn't detest you anymore, trust me on that.
And before I forget it, most of your race coverage is a bad joke too.

Back
Top Bottom