Xfinity RACE thread --- Daytona Road Course

He’s 18. He’s several years away from a Cup ride.
You sure about that? I think 2023 its completely possible he'll be in a Toyota in the cup series. JGR or the other JGR team (23XI)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can the young man run a full-season first before saying this?
Oh I think hes no way near ready but when you win your first start he'll get pushed along way too quick

You sure about that? I think 2023 its completely possible he'll be in a Toyota in the cup series. JGR or the other JGR team (23XI)

Time will tell.
I know that he isn’t ready for Cup and coach is a pretty good judge of who should be in a JGR Cup ride.

Time will tell.
I know that he isn’t ready for Cup and coach is a pretty good judge of who should be in a JGR Cup ride.
Like when he put Joey in the 20 at age 19?

Meanwhile at JGR, I hear the drumming of the firing squad warming up for Truex if he doesn’t step it up after last season...the Toyota overlords are debating which of Hamlin, Truex, or Bell will be tied to the altar and sacrificed to King Kong to pave the way for Gibbs lol

Oh I think hes no way near ready but when you win your first start he'll get pushed along way too quick

Probably a full-season next year now and JGR will either expand or someone will be out of the group.

Well I guess we'll see if Joe or TRD pulls the strings around that place

Yeah after losing his ride. At least Penske could see his potential.

Coach did too.
Then why did he dump them? Let's just say getting rid of joey was one of the biggest mistakes ever made at JGR

Well Earnhardt didn’t win a championship with Bud Moore 🤷🏻‍♂️
Coach Gibbs saw Joey’s potential.
I’m not sure what we’re arguing about here.

Meanwhile at JGR, I hear the drumming of the firing squad warming up for Truex if he doesn’t step it up after last season...the Toyota overlords are debating which of Hamlin, Truex, or Bell will be tied to the altar and sacrificed to King Kong to pave the way for Gibbs lol

Insanity. Dude won a title recently and last year had a stretch of 8 consecutive top 5’s. Toyota really needs to expand with MJ’s team to at least 3

Then why did he dump them? Let's just say getting rid of joey was one of the biggest mistakes ever made at JGR

They dumped Joey because he couldn't drive Tony's car with Tony's crew chief.
HMS dumped Kyle because he didn't fit their team.
You don't always need the best driver because you do need the better sponsors.

I distinctly remember the other JGR drivers giving Joey a hard time for being so young. Was it Hamlin that said he was “a good little racer”?

There was no chemistry and he wasn’t given the best opportunity at JGR. Penske opened that door for him.

Just wow That's impressive. His stats are interesting. He has raced in a lot of different series without really running full time. He ran 6 0f 6 in ARCA East 2020. In 2018 he was 15 and ran 12 of 12 in Late Models. He is young. I would like to see what he can do full time in Xfinity before jumping on the band wagon. Still, very impressive run last night.

Just wow That's impressive. His stats are interesting. He has raced in a lot of different series without really running full time. He ran 6 0f 6 in ARCA East 2020. In 2018 he was 15 and ran 12 of 12 in Late Models. He is young. I would like to see what he can do full time in Xfinity before jumping on the band wagon. Still, very impressive run last night.
There's no doubt he has a ton of talent, shown by his efforts last night. But before we get all tied up in those stats let's not forget that his whole career up to this point hes literally had the best equipment and people that money can buy. I imagine in a lot of those arca and late model races it was like bringing a machine gun to a knife fight.

Really we need to see what he can do in a full season in Xfinity. But so far 100% win ratio is impressive!

I had pretty much given up on NASCAR in recent years but this year and the racing seem to have lured me back in.
I read of all the talk about Gibbs, and that young man did one heckuva job to win. He deserves plaudits from all.
One other racer who turned in a very good performance last night was Gray Gaulding driving the #52 for Jimmy Means.
Their pit strategy was excellent and although Gray lost eight to ten positions with every pit stop, he still managed to work his way through the field and end up with a respectable finish of 20th.

I had pretty much given up on NASCAR in recent years but this year and the racing seem to have lured me back in.
I read of all the talk about Gibbs, and that young man did one heckuva job to win. He deserves plaudits from all.
One other racer who turned in a very good performance last night was Gray Gaulding driving the #52 for Jimmy Means.
Their pit strategy was excellent and although Gray lost eight to ten positions with every pit stop, he still managed to work his way through the field and end up with a respectable finish of 20th.
It's crazy, Gaulding has been around since he was about 16 years old. Thrown into Cup at a young age with BK Racing, did extremely well for Bobby Dotter, and is doing well with Jimmy Means so far.

He'll pose a problem at the short tracks and Superspeedways.

He'll pose a problem at the short tracks and Superspeedways.
He got taken out of the Daytona race through no fault of his own. I won't count him out. He might have matured plus it is amazing what can happen when a man is hungry and right now Gray Gaulding is hungry enough to eat the tires off the car. Strange things happen when a driver gets bounced around then finds a home. Hopefully he'll have matured enough to where he can do Jimmy, and himself, proud.

You’d have to be a clown to not understand the magnitude of what he pulled off yesterday. Went from running part time arca to a road race against a pretty good field xfinity field, in his debut, with no practice and qualifying, put it to his more experienced teammates, and made two passes in the grass to boot. Totally not impressive 🙄

You’d have to be a clown to not understand the magnitude of what he pulled off yesterday. Went from running part time arca to a road race against a pretty good field xfinity field, in his debut, with no practice and qualifying, put it to his more experienced teammates, and made two passes in the grass to boot. Totally not impressive 🙄
He's damn lucky he didn't blow the front off in the grass. He had some luck to go with the skill. Pretty hard to realize how young he is.

In one national series start Ty Gibbs has more nascar wins then Matt Dibenedetto and Daniel Hemric 🙃
Hemric's got to win now, this might be his last chance. His interview with Weaver, he was excited for Ty. At the same time, he knows he's got to win now and multiple times as well.

Matt D outside of one year with the Wood Brothers has never had anything worthwhile until now.

Some guys just have it from the start, some don't and take time to get there.

Hemric's got to win now, this might be his last chance. His interview with Weaver, he was excited for Ty. At the same time, he knows he's got to win now and multiple times as well.

Matt D outside of one year with the Wood Brothers has never had anything worthwhile until now.

Some guys just have it from the start, some don't and take time to get there.

Matt ran a handful of races with JGR in 2007 I believe. This was a tongue in cheek comment directed at a certain poster that thinks it’s not impressive to win in your debut and any remotely decent driver would win in the same circumstances. I was just pointing out using his logic, Matty D, a guy he likes, sucks lol

Back
Top Bottom