Xfinity RACE thread --- Watkins Glen

I only got to see the last 40 laps but I did like what I saw in that time.
I do think the Gibbs boy will do great in the xfinity series driving grandpas car designed for Kyle Bush.
I will wait until he has more experience and tries running Cup cars before making any judgments.

Other people: opinions about the race

you: opinions about other posters
I said what I said.

The kid took the lead back twice before he won the race. That’s not an opinion. One would think that observers who routinely complain about the lack of passes for the lead would be singing the praises of the guy who did it.

You can read through some of the negative commentary passing for “opinions about the race” again if you like. Ty Gibbs is the latest in a long line of privileged drivers, your man Chase Elliott included, to come down the pike. He’s off to a nice start. I’m going with that.

I hope anyone here trying to delegitimize the Ty Gibbs win will post their own accomplishments at 18 years old.

I said what I said.

The kid took the lead back twice before he won the race. That’s not an opinion. One would think that observers who routinely complain about the lack of passes for the lead would be singing the praises of the guy who did it.

You can read through some of the negative commentary passing for “opinions about the race” again if you like. Ty Gibbs is the latest in a long line of privileged drivers, your man Chase Elliott included, to come down the pike. He’s off to a nice start. I’m going with that.
I mean, this is full of strawman and tu quoque fallacies. You’re arguing that he’s talented, and he is. I havent made an argument about him not being a great talent.

The comes your tu quoque about Chase. He’s not my driver, I’m a fan, but I’m a fan of several young gun drivers racing now. “My guy” retired in 2015. But if you want to argue that point, start naming the recent xfinity grads who are living up to their hype by consistently competing for wins.

I only got to see the last 40 laps but I did like what I saw in that time.
I do think the Gibbs boy will do great in the xfinity series driving grandpas car designed for Kyle Bush.
I will wait until he has more experience and tries running Cup cars before making any judgments.
me too there have been many Xfinity greats that didn't burn as bright in the cup series, after all we have posters here that think the lower series drivers are a bunch of scrubs. Cendric won the regular season championship at this race and got like15 extra playoff points, so he wasn't going to stick his neck out very far, Dinger gave it a good run, but I also think along with a few others didnt want to lose their chances with this lame ass chase coming up.

me too there have been many Xfinity greats that didn't burn as bright in the cup series, after all we have posters here that think the lower series drivers are a bunch of scrubs. Cendric won the regular season championship at this race and got like15 extra playoff points, so he wasn't going to stick his neck out very far, Dinger gave it a good run, but I also think along with a few others didnt want to lose their chances with this lame ass chase coming up.
Dang, I always thought you were a diehard NASCAR fan, telling everyone the direction of the sport is what we needed to support. The Chase is good for the sport; remember?

But if you want to argue that point, start naming the recent xfinity grads who are living up to their hype by consistently competing for wins.
I have no idea how Ty Gibbs will fare when he inevitably moves to the Cup Series.

He seems a reasonable young guy. I hope he does well.

I have no idea how Ty Gibbs will fare when he inevitably moves to the Cup Series.

I think he will, but I don't think he will be popping off wins like he does in the equipment he is in at Xfinity or ARCA right off.

Same. I think he has an attitude to work on regarding pointing blame to the drivers that he’s dumped, but he’s got a bright future if he continues to progress. I do keep in mind that he’s only raced in platinum level equipment his entire career and, as Kevin Harvick has pointed out about his own career, they quickly realize that everyone has the same or higher level of talent in the Cup series. It’s humbling and if they get too smug too early they’ll get their doors blown off.

Same. I think he has an attitude to work on regarding pointing blame to the drivers that he’s dumped, but he’s got a bright future if he continues to progress. I do keep in mind that he’s only raced in platinum level equipment his entire career and, as Kevin Harvick has pointed out about his own career, they quickly realize that everyone has the same or higher level of talent in the Cup series. It’s humbling and if they get too smug too early they’ll get their doors blown off.
Jeff and Jimmie run anything other than platinum equipment?
Your bias is comical.

I said what I said.

Totally agree with this comment

Your bias is comical.
He did before coming up, didn't have much of a career before coming to Cup....won 7 Championships

So, it's okay when you say it? Got it.

I said what I said.

I would think the lack of complaints about no passing would be your sign. I sure as hell don't think any driver should have the hard on's the gerbils were stroking.

I think your posts are well done. I never have to wonder what you mean. 😇

Peace out, my dirt-track lovin’ brother.

Your bias is comical.

As is yours Bobby. Jeff and Jimmie weren't in elite stuff before getting to cup, and Gordon's trajectory eventually was trending towards open wheel stuff coming from dirt, and a low level Busch team. Rick loved Jeff when he saw him ripping either a late model or a Sprint car. Jimmie came from off road success, into a solid ride with the ASA stuff, and then a single car, underfunded family owned team in Herzog Motorsports, a team that was on the brink of shutting down if they weren't making the jump to cup series. It was his performance in less than stellar equipment that got him the elite cup ride. If Jimmie didn't force himself to talk to Gordon, and if Gordon didn't notice his talent in that Michigan race, Jimmie probably runs 3-5 seasons as a mid pack cup driver for Herzog Motorsports before retiring from his NASCAR career and going back to off road trucks.

In their cup careers, best equipment for decades, no doubt. But compared to Ty Gibbs? Chex is right, he's had an easier path through the ranks, through the nascar system in elite equipment in Arca, and Xfinity. Jimmie and Jeff didn't have that. It was their talent from across discipline that got them their jobs. Both who were more talented than Gibbs, imo.

But let me say this before you go off. NASCAR is so expensive, and it's no slight to Gibbs that his name, and family has given him elite opportunities, because that's how you make it to cup these days in the elite rides if you aren't a vet. As Denny Hamlin said about Austin Dillon "first of all, he got his name because of his ride. Second of all... You gotta take advantage of the opportunity".

And let me tell ya, it doesn't matter how "spoon fed" you are if you ARE taking advantage of the opportunity. And Ty Gibbs is absolutely taking advantage of the opportunity. Regardless of how you get there, it takes talent to consistently put elite equipment into victory lane. That's what Gordon did, Johnson did, Stewart, Busch, Harvick, Keselowski.

Ty Gibbs' future as a cup driver was more set in stone than those guys, but it doesn't even matter. Because he's gonna win in JGR equipment at the cup level pretty quickly..because he's the next generational, 3x cup champion, imo. He's the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think he will, but I don't think he will be popping off wins like he does in the equipment he is in at Xfinity or ARCA right off.
Yeah, each leap through the ranks isn't an interval increase in difficulty. Xfinity to cup is probably twice as big of a leap from Gibbs' entire career of leaps.

Not only for the first time will you be racing against people who ARE as talented and more talented... But they're also a lot more experienced with more knowledge, more miles, and more success at the elite level. If he's expecting to come in and win, he'll struggle for a few years. If he's expecting to get his doors blown off, I think we'll see consistent improvement over 5 years before he becomes a consistent top 3 guy.

I'm super high on this kid. The only drivers who I feel came into cup with more talent than him over the last 30 years imo, are Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Kurt and Kyle Busch, Keselowski, and Montoya. I think he's that good. More raw talent than anyone else.

The Jeff and Jimmie thing has a bit of a flaw, Gordon's early racing was in sprint cars and Johnson was in the dirt stadium trucks, two disciplines that are walking and flying difference to what Ty Gibbs and most of the youngsters raced growing up.

As is yours Bobby. Jeff and Jimmie weren't in elite stuff before getting to cup, and Gordon's trajectory eventually was trending towards open wheel stuff coming from dirt, and a low level Busch team. Rick loved Jeff when he saw him ripping either a late model or a Sprint car. Jimmie came from off road success, into a solid ride with the ASA stuff, and then a single car, underfunded family owned team in Herzog Motorsports, a team that was on the brink of shutting down if they weren't making the jump to cup series. It was his performance in less than stellar equipment that got him the elite cup ride. If Jimmie didn't force himself to talk to Gordon, and if Gordon didn't notice his talent in that Michigan race, Jimmie probably runs 3-5 seasons as a mid pack cup driver for Herzog Motorsports before retiring from his NASCAR career and going back to off road trucks.

In their cup careers, best equipment for decades, no doubt. But compared to Ty Gibbs? Chex is right, he's had an easier path through the ranks, through the nascar system in elite equipment in Arca, and Xfinity. Jimmie and Jeff didn't have that. It was their talent from across discipline that got them their jobs. Both who were more talented than Gibbs, imo.

But let me say this before you go off. NASCAR is so expensive, and it's no slight to Gibbs that his name, and family has given him elite opportunities, because that's how you make it to cup these days in the elite rides if you aren't a vet. As Denny Hamlin said about Austin Dillon "first of all, he got his name because of his ride. Second of all... You gotta take advantage of the opportunity".

And let me tell ya, it doesn't matter how "spoon fed" you are if you ARE taking advantage of the opportunity. And Ty Gibbs is absolutely taking advantage of the opportunity. Regardless of how you get there, it takes talent to consistently put elite equipment into victory lane. That's what Gordon did, Johnson did, Stewart, Busch, Harvick, Keselowski.

Ty Gibbs' future as a cup driver was more set in stone than those guys, but it doesn't even matter. Because he's gonna win in JGR equipment at the cup level pretty quickly..because he's the next generational, 3x cup champion, imo. He's the real deal.

Go off? No.
You’ll understand if I don’t agree with your tedious post.

Go off? No.
You’ll understand if I don’t agree with your TEDIOUS post.

You just can't help yourself, can you? What can I say? I love talking about this stuff. What a shame.

Back
Top Bottom