Yea Rusty

71Fan

"They're talking about making it mandatory that it's green-white-checkered finishes so the fans don't get upset," the former series champion and longtime star said. "I don't agree with that and I'll be the first one politicking that you shouldn't do that.

"All these race fans drinking beer and screaming and hollering have not been in a helicopter upside down with 30 tubes hanging out of you after going end-over-end 30 times like I've been before because of these green-white starts. I think it's ridiculous and it's unsafe."

Wallace said he knows his stand on this won't be popular with many of the fans.

"I'll take some heat, probably, but it's just the wrong thing to do," he said. "I'm not willing to do it to make the fans happy. They've been here all week long and they've seen 495 miles of racing and they'll just have to give up that last five miles of racing."

I KNEW there was something about that guy I liked B)

Originally posted by 71Fan@Jun 27 2004, 06:00 AM
"I'm not willing to do it ..."
So is Rusty going to pull off the track every time they do the G/W/C (if they do indeed implement the G/W/C)?

If it's so wrong, why isn't he tying to stop it in the truck series - or are their live not as important as the Nextel guys?

Yet again, Wallace manages to get his foot in his mouth and his head in his butt at the same time.

I agree with Rusty. For years I've watched these races and have seen a lot of great green flag finishes. But when the yellow came out with 4 or 5 to go and there wasn't time to clean the track up or whatever I was just fine with it. It just seemed to be normal. I don't really understand what has changed.
As for the people throwing stuff on the track. I don't understand why someone would waste a perfectly good beer.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Who knows if Rusty will head for the garage if they toss a G/W/C? My guess is he won't. But, he does have point.......a valid one. I don't like to see races end under caution either but how often does it really happen? In most cases a race that ends under yellow finishes the same way it would if it were green when the checkered flew.......sure, it's better to know who had the better finish if they race to the flag, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. All this hollering lately (the last couple of years) about ending every race under green is really getting ridiculous. Comparisons to other series that have G/W/C. Accusing NASCAR of not caring for the fans. Scoffing at a driver's win because it did not end under green. All that is hysterics, in my opinion. For nearly 60 years it has never been a problem......an occasional annoyance, yes, but not a problem. All of a sudden it's something that has to change.......or else we (as fans) are going to revolt. Pretty silly (and sad), if you ask me.

We got a badly needed rule about not racing back to the caution........now we want to negate it with G/W/C.

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Jun 27 2004, 08:35 AM
If it's so wrong, why isn't he tying to stop it in the truck series - or are their live not as important as the Nextel guys?

Yet again, Wallace manages to get his foot in his mouth and his head in his a$$ at the same time.
Pretty simple to me............Rusty doesn't race in the CTS. If he did, I'm sure he would say what's on his mind about it. He was addressing the Cup series, not the Truck series.

"They're talking about making it mandatory that it's green-white-checkered finishes so the fans don't get upset," - Oh, Boo Hoo! THE DAMN FANS DONT RUN NASCAR!!! Nascar needs to set rules and stick to them, and not worry about the fans. Sometimes there are gonna be times that the race finishes under caution for a reason, and mostly safety reasons. The fans will live, and they won't die tomorrow if the race finishes under caution. NASCAR; QUIT LISTENING TO THE FANS, AND DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST! IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT; THEY CAN WATCH F-1!!!!!! :angry:

Originally posted by Nitro@Jun 27 2004, 10:57 AM
"They're talking about making it mandatory that it's green-white-checkered finishes so the fans don't get upset," - Oh, Boo Hoo! THE DAMN FANS DONT RUN NASCAR!!! Nascar needs to set rules and stick to them, and not worry about the fans. Sometimes there are gonna be times that the race finishes under caution for a reason, and mostly safety reasons. The fans will live, and they won't die tomorrow if the race finishes under caution. NASCAR; QUIT LISTENING TO THE FANS, AND DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST! IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT; THEY CAN WATCH F-1!!!!!! :angry:
No mincing of words here!! :D Guess I gotta agree with it though!! :cheers:

Holy you know what!! :wacko: I'm watching the pre-race for today's race at Sonoma and they talked about GWC briefly. Jeff Hammond put exactly how I feel............."it's gimmick racing"!! :D Geeze, what's the world coming to? I'm agreeing with Hammond!!! :blink: :cheers: :cheers:

DE W2, are you sure you are OK????? LOL
Hammond???? Whoaaaaaaaaaa, there.
mms4.gif
gh4.gif
cloudiehop.gif

Well, Lappy, I think you're wrong about that. But when it comes to rules that can be a safety thing, then the fans do need to take a back seat. A statement like that is really a little unfair...........if you think about it, you might see what a GWC could involve. Big ones with 2 to go.

And don't toss out the argument about it being in the CTS or other series.............this is not those other series. It's the Cup series and the rules do not (and, in many cases, should not) need to be the same.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Jun 27 2004, 06:28 PM
Well, Lappy, I think you're wrong about that. But when it comes to rules that can be a safety thing, then the fans do need to take a back seat. A statement like that is really a little unfair...........if you think about it, you might see what a GWC could involve. Big ones with 2 to go.

And don't toss out the argument about it being in the CTS or other series.............this is not those other series. It's the Cup series and the rules do not (and, in many cases, should not) need to be the same.
...even if it's a safety issue and involves people lives?

Let's kill 'em in the truck series and protect 'em in the cup series.
mmmm, sounds right to me.

Plus, how many 'big ones' do we actually see in the truck series anyways?

I'm a long time fan of NASCAR, been watching for almost 40 years, if one series has the GWC they should all have it. Like i said in a previous post on another thread it works in the Truck series. The argument that Cup and Trucks are totally different doesn't fly as far as i'm concerned. Many of the truck races take place on the same tracks as Cup , off hand i can't remember it being a safety issue in that series and they even run Daytona. Rusty is whining like he usually does, i see his pooint to a degree, but if you are going to have it in 1 of the Premier series it should be implemented across the board at all the levels Cup, Busch, and Trucks. I see no reason why it won't be succesfull.

I would love to see green white checkered in cup racing. Cup racing is gimmick racing. How else do you explain lucky dogs and restricter plates. I have to think restricter plates have to be more dangerous than GWC and racing back to the caution. Where is the cry for safty here.

Well don't worry, fans...........GWC is probably on it's way to the series. Just like no racing back to the caution was for a couple years before it came about. And, when all the unforeseen problems rear their ugly head just remember y'all wanted it.

And because it works in trucks does not make a lead pipe cinch it will work in Cup or Busch. 36 trucks start vs 43 cars. Trucks don't go nearly as fast as Busch and Cup cars. Trucks are bigger and more draggy.......not nearly as aero-sensitive. And if the trucks are one of the premier series then why is it considered a stepping stone to the top? By that logic a successful truck driver would automatically do well in Busch or Cup.........they are different animals all together. The rules do not need to be the same. Rusty has a valid point and to say he was whining is showing your lack of open mindedness

He would be right, except not only do they run the last 5 miles under catuion, but they run 1/4 of the whole race under caution

And a quarter of race under caution is because of confusion with the rule about racing back to the caution. A quarter of a race being under caution is an aboration.........not the norm by any stretch of anyone's imagination. I've seen a few races with a lot of caution laps in my years of watching NASCAR. It's usually a very disappointing race. But, I really don't think it's going to be common place. There are problems with a new rule...........teams disputing positions, drivers whining and crying, fans not understanding. I think Mike Helton made it perfectly clear last year when the rule was implemented that it was going to have problems and as they arose the problems would addressed. He also asked for patience. I think NASCAR has done their job on addressing the problems........time for the fans to uphold their end.

Looks to me like the electronics they have been testing are helping...........not enough to rely upon 100% yet, but helping. The extra lap before the pits being opened may be unnecessary soon. The freezing of the field has a loop hole on pit road.........that needs some work. And I think the "lucky dog pas" is out soon. Get the teams and drivers on the same page as NASCAR and a lot of the problems will go away.............either that or recognize that NASCAR officials are dictators, not a congress. No debating.........the officials call it on the fly and what they call is "fact". It's the debating and arguing that prolongs the cautions. Somehow, people think that the players can officiate the game better than the officials..............and the players can do it better than the fans (so you see where I stand on what most of y'all are saying :) ). A driver racing has almost no idea of where he really should be at any given instant. A fan in the stand has absolutely no idea...........and a fan watching on TV only has what the camera was showing at that instant. You are asking for perfection on something that is not perfect. All I hear (it seems) is that NASCAR is screwing up the racing. I haven't heard anyone come up with a good solution yet. I've heard suggestions........some good, some bad. But each suggestion delivers more problems to deal with. Why not let NASCAR get some of these problems solved before you jump in with all these complaints about incompetence or whatever.......why don't you apply for the job and do it right if you are such an expert?

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Jun 27 2004, 10:35 AM

Yet again, Wallace manages to get his foot in his mouth and his head in his butt at the same time.
He's not out to save the world. Mabey HE wants to live a little longer. I want the pot holes fixed in Wisconsin, You take care of them in your state. Thats all he is saying. And i'm sure he's not the only one who said that, he's just the one they quoted.

Back
Top Bottom