YEA!!! SHIRLEY WINS BROWNSTOWN SN'S!!!!!

T

TAYLORFAN44

First heat

Finish: Don O'Neal, Terry English, Mike Jewell, Jason Feger, Brad Neat, Brandon Sheppard, Rocky Hodges, Brian Wilhite, Joe Janowski.

Second heat

Finish: Kevin Claycomb, Brian Shirley, Dennis Erb Jr., Kevin Weaver, Randy Korte, Chad Stapleton, James Huff, Jason Smith.

Third heat

Finish: Jeep Van Wormer, Derek Fisher, Darren Miller, Shannon Reed, Steve Sheppard Jr., Justin Shaw, Glen Thompson Jr., Tim Prince, Steve Barnett.

Fourth heat

Finish: Wes Steidinger, Jordan Bland, Greg Johnson, Cody Mahoney, Scott Jones, Matt Miller, Ryan Unzicker, John Gill.

B-Main Finish

Kevin Weaver,
Jason Feger,
Brad Neat,
Shannon Reed,
Steve Sheppard Jr.,
Matt Miller,
Cody Mahoney,
Ryan Unzicker,
Brandon Sheppard,
Tim Prince,
Chad Stapleton,
Justin Shaw,
Jason McBride,
Scott Jones,
Jim Moon.

A-MAIN
(1) Brian Shirley, (2) Jeep Van Wormer, (3) Don O'Neal, (4) Dennis Erb Jr., (5) Kevin Claycomb, (6) Wes Steidinger, (7) Darren Miller, (8) Terry English, (9) Jordan Bland, (10) Kevin Weaver, (11) Ryan Unzicker, (12) Jason Feger, (13) Brad Neat, (14) Matt Miller, (15) Greg Johnson, (16) Derek Fisher, (17) Steve Sheppard Jr., (18) Shannon Reed, (19) Cody Mahoney, (20) Mike Jewell, (21) Randy Korte.
--------------------

With Shirley only 19 points back, and Erb finishng in 4th, it may be just enough to shoot him into the lead with 1 race left for sure. Several were rained out, and have yet to be reschedualed. As soon as a full report is posted up, I will be sure and update this along with a run down of points...

BROWNSTOWN, IN – July 11, 2008 – By Kellen Burns/DIRTcar Racing P.R. –

Brian Shirley says he thinks of everything he needs to do to win 10 minutes before a race.

The Chatham, Ill., driver’s pre-race ritual definitely paid off Friday night, helping him to a thrilling victory in the 40-lap UMP DIRTcar Summer Nationals A-Main at Brownstown Speedway.

With the triumph, Shirley moved to within four points of defending Summer Nationals champion Dennis Erb Jr. of Carpentersville, Ill., in the tour points standings. Erb leads the way entering Saturday night’s series finale at Oakshade Raceway in Wauseon, Ohio.

Shirley started sixth in the event and ran a patient race until the late going.

“I was paying attention to what was going on,” said Shirley, who earned $10,000 for his third triumph of the 2008 Summer Nationals. “I saw it was really hard to get by lapped traffic. Luckily my car stuck through the middle.”

Early on polesitter Don O’Neal of Martinsville, Ind., Jeep VanWormer of Pinconning, Mich., and Kevin Claycomb of Vincennes, Ind., all ran nose-to-tail at the front of the pack. O’Neal led until VanWormer used lapped traffic to his advantage on lap 31 to skirt by on the high side.

“When I caught the lapped cars I was soft on tires,” said O’Neal. “I couldn’t move around and I was pretty much stuck there (on the bottom). I knew I was in trouble there with 15 to go.”

VanWormer also couldn’t stay in front. He watched Shirley drive through the middle of the track to grab the lead on lap 37, taking control as VanWormer found himself pinned behind lapped traffic.

“Once we got the lead we caught up to those lapped cars,” said VanWormer, who settled for a runner-up finish. “It just sucks when you want to win so bad and you’re right there in the last few laps.”

Shirley used the late surge to make another visit to RacingJunk.com Victory Lane.

“We just tried to be good there,” said Shirley, who drove Ed Petroff’s No. 3s. “It was just our night, to be honest. The car was good.

“I’m just ready to get the check tomorrow for the $10,000 there (at Oakshade Raceway) – and that’s the bottom line. That’s what means the most.”

O’Neal settled for third place, followed by Erb and Claycomb.

Thirty-seven cars were divided into four groups for time trials, with O’Neal’s lap of 13.799 seconds the best of the qualifying session.

Heat winners were O’Neal, Claycomb, VanWormer, Wes Steidinger. Kevin Weaver of Gibson City, Ill., won the B-Main and Ryan Unzicker of El Paso, Ill., topped the C-Main.

Back
Top Bottom