Yoong out

paul

Team Owner
From Motorsport.com:-

Minardi team principal Paul Stoddart has reportedly confirmed that Alex Yoong will not be racing for the team next year. After he failed to qualify for three Grands Prix this season, Stoddart sidelined Yoong for more testing experience and replaced him with BAR test driver Anthony Davidson for two races.

"Alex will definitely not be getting a contract for next year," Stoddart said, according to German sports news SID. The Minardi boss also was quoted as saying: "We are looking for an experienced driver for next season and one from the US."

This would be in line with the rumours that former CART driver Bryan Herta is a contender for a Minardi drive next year. American Herta joined the team at the Thunder In The Park weekend but has yet to have another outing.

However, Stoddart recently said he was interested in Davidson and fellow Brit Justin Wilson for the future. Stoddart was optimistic about Davidson: "Clearly if he (Davidson) does a good job for us, then he'll be on our list of drivers that we are seeking to get in 2003."

Wilson, who at six feet three has troubles finding a car big enough to accommodate him, was also in line to replace Yoong but was again hampered by his height. Stoddart intends to build a chassis big enough next season and commented: "Justin's most definitely in the frame for next year."

With Mark Webber widely considered to be leaving Minardi, probably for Jaguar, Stoddart will have two vacant seats to fill if indeed Yoong is out of the running. Although there would be a loss of sponsorship if Yoong goes, Minardi recently teamed up with Russian gas company Gazprom as a new commercial partner.

wow, imagine that :rolleyes:

I hope Herta gets it, that man is an awsome driver in he Le mans series.

Hopefully Minardi can be more competive next year with new drivers.

I hope Minardi will get Cosworth or one year Ferrari engines next year that would be fun:)

Thor, i am sorry but u must not really keep up on F1 prices and budgets do u? Minardi couldnt even afford to buy two year old ferrari engines for a whole year let alone make a new chassis. So Cosworth is likely although it will still be hard to afford. For Minardi to ever be able to get Ferrari backing they will have to start getting podiums and wins.

Cosworth will possible come Minardi to podium,some say they have better chassis than Jaguar
If they get an American driver that would be great

I am playing nice, Paul. If u havent heard yet, Bryan Herta is supposed to be in the Minardi for the Italian and US GP's which would be awsome but he needs a better team. He tested last years model of the Minardi and said it was the best car he has ever driven in his life. And then went on to say that if the Minardi handels that well then he couldnt imagine running a Ferrari or upper class team.

Back
Top Bottom