you HAVE GOT to be be kidding....

S

speedwayphoto

Has anyone read this........... http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7797480?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10937
Fox sports counts down the 50 greatest moments in NASCAR............. I didn't realize until I read this that all but about 4 or 5 of NASCAR's 50 greatest moments came in the last 10 years..........GEEEEEEEEEEEZE. In fact, it seems like Earnhardt was involved in nearly 80% of the greatest moments..... what a load.
Don't get me wrong, there are some worthy moments in there, but geeeze..... Then again, the writers name is Jorge somethin...... reckon I should just be happy its in english.

ok, how bout this then... not 50, but just what came off the top of my head.... I have one or two they have....lol.

1 1971- Winston Joins NASCAR- Junior Johnson brings corprate to town. Where would NASCAR be now if that hadn't happened?

2 1971- Richard Petty wins final dirt race in Raleigh NC.- the end of an era as next season schedule was pulled back to 31 races.

3.1949- Jim Roper wins FIRST NASCAR race. wouldn't be a NASCAR without a first race..... BTW was also first race in NASCAR that the winning car didn't cross line first, Glenn Dunaway actually won the race but was thrown out ( depending on which story ya hear) for helper springs ( not stock, but ran on hauler cars...aka moonshine transports..lol

4 1979- Richard Petty wins first live flag to flag event on tv..... (not the first televised, that was back in 50 something, and Wide World of Sports had been doing tape delays and interupted coverage for years....) Cale and Donnie fight, masses snowed in watch event. This race alone helped to captivate America, and boosted NASCAR beyond expectations.

5 1950- Johnny Mantz wins first ever race at Darlington. The track was unlike anything the drivers had ever seen before, marked a significant swing towards bigger, faster tracks being built-

6 1969- LeeRoy Yarborough wins the triple crown, Daytona, World 600, Southern 500. Elliot may have gotten the million, but he was the first.

7.1963- Tiny Lund wins Daytona 500. The only time a driver won a 500 mile event on the SAME set of tires.... and did it as a back up driver for an injured Marvin Panch.

8. 1998- Dale Earnhardt wins Daytona 500. A legend wins wins the Big One...... finally. even for us who despised him, it was a good story.

9 1959- Lee Petty wins first 500. took three days to decide, but when the smoke cleared one of their biggest stars won, and ushered in the Super speedway.

10.1963- Fred Lorenzen wins 100,000 in single season. First driver to do so.... That was big money back then.

11. 1963- Wendell Scott wins in Fla. Wasn't announced at track, for fear of a riot seein a black man kissing the trophy girls, but Scott became the first and to date only black man to win in NASCAR's upper division.

12. 80's- NASCAR and new upstart cable channel ESPN grow together with more and more coverage of live events. ESPN needed air time filled and NASCAR was more than happy to get the publicity.

13. 1984- Richard Petty wins 200th- Narrowly beating Cale back to the line (for a caution, not the checkers, Cale actully was so mad that he went into the pits thinking the race was over, so did not finish second....lol) infront of President reagan. If ever Hollywood would have written the script, noone would have bought it.

14-1992 Atlanta- Kulwiki wins championship, beats Junior Johnson's ( who tried to hire him but Alan turned him down the year before) Bill elliott, and Davey Allison. tighest point race, first race by Jeff Gordon (wrecked out, finished 30 somethin) and final race of Petty's career.

15- 1984- Talladega- Most lead changes in a race. Fox has listed on their site 75, but I was thinkin it was mor like 86.... maybe that was unnoficial changes, Still one of the best races ever.

16-1994- Brickyard 400. Jeff Gordon and Ernie Irvan battled for the final laps till a tire blew on Irvan handing Gordon the win.... no one would have ever believed that NASCAR would race at the hallowed grounds of Indy.......

17- 1985- Bill elliott wins Winston Million first. This one stunt payed waaaay more than the million it cost them. probably the most publicity NASCAR had recieved until that momnent.

18-1963. Dan Gurney becomes first driver to win in F-1, Indy and NASCAR. He went on to win Riverside 4 out of 5 years....

19 1955- Tim Flock wins championship. Carl Kiekhaefer ushered in the multi car team concept with his team.

20.1970- Buddy Baker in a Cotton owens prepared dodge becomes first car to break 200 mph barrier on a closed course.
and I know, there's probably lots more I missed, but still, isnt this a fairer look at NASCAR over nearly 60 years than saying its greatest moment have nearly all came in the last 5 years????

Some of those are before I was born but to me this is why lists like this shouldn't be done because everyone started at different times and have different memorirs of Nascar that to them will last forever.

it's not about memories Raz..... it is the 50 greatest moments of NASCAR...... my list would have been COMPLETELY different if it was memories, 3/4 of the things on this list happened before I was born or I am too young to remember them........
The list should reflect things that have been instrumental in shaping what NASCAR has become.... first race, first telecast, first contracts with TV, first big sponsor, biggest stories....... not what Fox chose to include.
I just think its wrong that NASCAR in general tends to look at the last couple of years, rather than looking at the shoulders of the MEN who put them there.
But, as Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong".............

You're right I totally agree and I knew that it is moments. I was just saying that Fox shouldn't have made the list because fact or memory to me it's subjective because it is the opinon of whoever puts it together.

That's a great list. Here's a couple more I think should be on it. I forget the exact years.

21. Bill Elliott coming from 2 laps down UNDER THE GREEN FLAG at Talledega to win. That to me will always be an incredible moment.
22.Cale Yarborough doing the first reverse aero backflip coming off turn 4 at Daytona after they downsized the cars.
23. Kurt Bush and Ricky Cravens last lapS duel at Darlington.
24.The Torino Talledega, the Plymouth Superbird and the Dodge Daytona. Then the Aero T-Bird

One moment that is always listed never happenned and that's Earnhardts pass in the grass. 2 minor flaws in that statement
1.Elliott knocked him into the grass
2.Earnhardt never passed anybody, he was already ahead of Elliott.

lol .... I agree be9ak7ts16, the "pass in the grass".... was a heck of a piece of drivin, but was not a pass.....
The thing about the Elliott deal that makes it even more remarkable, is he did it without the aid of a caution, thats dominance.....
and the Cale flip was the first time a car clocked a 200 mph lap at Daytona...
Acouple more that should be listed...... The first Winston...... look at the legacy it has left.
As well as lighting Charlotte Motor Speedway....... No one believed it could be done, but now it is common place to have night races... look at what it did for The Firecracker 400.........

man how could anyone who saw that 92 The Winston ever forget it. that finish was the stuff of legend. man that 98 firecracker was one hot race. it seemed only right that Jeff Gordon who was in the midst of his dominance at that time should've won that event. sooo many great races i can't even classify them...

Back
Top Bottom