You make the call...

D

DelsFan

Although I respect his accomplishments, I am not a huge Jimmy Johnson fan. I don't mind if he wins, don't mind if he doesn't, maybe I like Junior a little better - but it steams me when anyone gets a "phantom" penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I heard it from the announcers, the drive-through infraction Jimmy received around mid-race was because someone was over the wall before Jimmy got within the one pit-stall distance requirement. To make matters worse, the officials couldn't tell his crew chief why they had been penalized. Then, to make matters worse yet (for me anyway), why couldn't one of their multitude of "reporters" follow up on the mistake/confusion so the announcers could keep us informed (isn't that their job?).

After commercial interruption, the network even put up this graphic (without my comments) to assist their "rules expert", everyone has to have one now, I guess because the announcers can't be counted upon to know anything... But I digress. As the expert was talking I was saying to myself, "Who is over the wall? I don't see anyone!" Why couldn't the announcers see (and question) that assertion?

One - with notes.jpg

Two - with notes.jpg

Three, with comments.jpg

You make the call, where was the infraction?

Attachments

• Two - with notes.jpg
    Two - with notes.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: Pat
If I remember the rule right, I see nothing wrong. In the end it didn't affect him but very well could at other tracks.

Although I respect his accomplishments, I am not a huge Jimmy Johnson fan. I don't mind if he wins, don't mind if he doesn't, maybe I like Junior a little better - but it steams me when anyone gets a "phantom" penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I heard it from the announcers, the drive-through infraction Jimmy received around mid-race was because someone was over the wall before Jimmy got within the one pit-stall distance requirement. To make matters worse, the officials couldn't tell his crew chief why they had been penalized. Then, to make matters worse yet (for me anyway), why couldn't one of their multitude of "reporters" follow up on the mistake/confusion so the announcers could keep us informed (isn't that their job?).

After commercial interruption, the network even put up this graphic (without my comments) to assist their "rules expert", everyone has to have one now, I guess because the announcers can't be counted upon to know anything... But I digress. As the expert was talking I was saying to myself, "Who is over the wall? I don't see anyone!" Why couldn't the announcers see (and question) that assertion?

View attachment 18168

View attachment 18169

View attachment 18170

You make the call, where was the infraction?

Over the wall? or feet on the ground? What is the rule?

Good question, the announcers stressed feet on the ground. Doesn't make it so - however, it seemed no one was over the wall either (except the guy sitting at the end, that would be a rather tacky foul to call) as Johnson made the red line... I think that is one reason the crew chief was so steamed...

I am a JJ fan but I see the obvious penalty in your video captures. It's the rear tire carrier and changer standing in wall opening, they need to be behind the wall and within the #48 pit area.

and as to Pat's question I believe even 1 foot on the ground is called "Over the wall".

I am a JJ fan but I see the obvious penalty in your video captures. It's the rear tire carrier and changer standing in wall opening, they need to be behind the wall and within the #48 pit area.

and as to Pat's question I believe even 1 foot on the ground is called "Over the wall".

The fact that there is "no wall" maybe through them off

I was wondering those guys standing in the opening could have something to do with it too. I wish Nascar would clear that up for us. As far as my previous question, I was thinking that the jack man was 'over the wall', just had not touched the ground yet. :idunno:

My understanding is/was you can cross the vertical plane of the wall before the car gets within one pit stall (as in my second photo), but your foot cannot touch the ground before the car is within one pit stall. I think this is the rule, 10% because the announcers said so (maybe less than 10%) and 90% because, where their video cameras are located, it would be hard to determine just when a pit crew member crossed the wall but easier to "see" when his foot touches the ground in relation to when the car crosses the imaginary line one pit stall away.

You may be right about the rear tire carrier and changer - if so this is an additional violation (to the one I "think" I now see). And if being in the gap, is a violation, then I can also see where the guy sitting at the end of the wall (with his leg overhanging) would be in a type of danger NASCAR is trying to prevent...

I think it is possible the one guy is OK, but the one outside the pit box (whether he would be behind the wall or not) has run afoul of the law (a rule not explained to us by the expert announcers, but makes good sense to me).

Reactions: Pat
Nascar America is coming on now on NBCS maybe they will clarify or Nascar Race Hub on FS1 in an hour.

They blew that call. Should've been no penality. Even after they "explained" it on TV it was more obvious they were wrong.

His car isn't fully within the adjoining pit box ...

Close enough doesn't matter.

And this whole new "automated pit official" or whatever the hell it's called is supposed to eliminate these bad calls?

His car isn't fully within the adjoining pit box ...

Close enough doesn't matter.
Hmm, that pit box you're looking at isn't a pit stall at all, it's just a big gap where they go back behind the wall. No pit box, no infraction. (and I hate JJ ;))

Welcome to the forum DelsFan , glad to have you aboard . Are you a huge Jimmie fan or an infractions guy . I don't think that there has ever been a sports event without a questionable call . Is this one different ?

Like Jonesi, I think the fact the tire changer is outside their assigned pit stall (too far to the left) would be a problem. I really don't see that anyone's foot is actually inside the pit box, if it is there was it would have been by mere inches and I don't know how anyone could see that on a laptop! However, the tire changer is definitely outside of the pit box. Kind of a tacky penalty (and not what was explained a few minutes ago on the tele), and one that should really be explained in advance to anyone who has chosen the first stall.

Two, with cone.jpg

My thought was, until Jonesi spotted the tire changer: Isn't the rule you can only cross through one other pit stall on the way in and three on the way out? (Hmmm, wonder if they applied that to Gordon, who had the last pit stall and I'm sure never thought about any imaginary spot to not drive below, three imaginary stalls down). Jimmy definitely crossed several other imaginary stalls on the way in.

Regardless, neither the race announcers or the recent "revelation" from the tele mentioned either of the two more glaring infractions.

Regardless, poor/spotty info given to the TV viewer on race day!

It would have been really funny if some pit reporter had gotten to Chad when he was still steamed and asked something like "Do you feel this was just a mistake by one of your crew or a misunderstanding of the new NASCAR system?"

Then watch him go nuts :D

Hmm, that pit box you're looking at isn't a pit stall at all, it's just a big gap where they go back behind the wall. No pit box, no infraction. (and I hate JJ ;))

You are correct, Mr. Dirt ... that is not a pit stall.

NASCAR deemed it a pit stall for the race ... keep everything more or less the same for everybody. That was 'splained to Mr. Knaus.

Welcome to the forum DelsFan , glad to have you aboard . Are you a huge Jimmie fan or an infractions guy . I don't think that there has ever been a sports event without a questionable call . Is this one different ?
Thank you; I'm just a fan in general - hate to see bad calls but, yes, all sports have them. My complaint is when they could be prevented, or explained so the (millions of) viewer(s) could understand them.

I'd like to see Danica do better, but I'm not sure that will happen. I like Joe Gibbs personally, so don't mind his cars doing well. Like the 78 car, with whatever driver they have (including last year's), because they are underdogs! I guess I'd like to see Junior win as much as any driver - now, when I watch a race, I kind of wait until the end and then see if someone I might like might have a chance to win. Don't much like Lagano, but do like Kyle - and who's to say there's too much between them personality wise - one is young and brash and the other is old and brash! So go figure. Started as a fan in 1974 when my Dad took me to Talladega - was thereafter a Richard Petty fan for many years. Didn't much like Earnhardt Sr. until I started noticing that when his car was performing poorly (which was fine with me, at the time) he many times managed to somehow finish (albeit at the tail end) on the lead lap - thereafter I had a pretty healthy respect for his abilities. I wonder, with the competition the way it has been for the last 25 years and the rules and money poured into the sport making the playing field more equal, if Dale Sr. and Jimmy Johnson aren't the best drivers ever. Petty had a lot of advantages when he was winning his races... Darrell was pretty good, like his commentating or not. But I'd have to say Earnhardt and Johnson did amazing things against the strongest competition.

Thank you; I'm just a fan in general - hate to see bad calls but, yes, all sports have them. My complaint is when they could be prevented, or explained so the (millions of) viewer(s) could understand them.

I'd like to see Danica do better, but I'm not sure that will happen. I like Joe Gibbs personally, so don't mind his cars doing well. Like the 78 car, with whatever driver they have (including last year's), because they are underdogs! I guess I'd like to see Junior win as much as any driver - now, when I watch a race, I kind of wait until the end and then see if someone I might like might have a chance to win. Don't much like Lagano, but do like Kyle - and who's to say there's too much between them personality wise - one is young and brash and the other is old and brash! So go figure. Started as a fan in 1974 when my Dad took me to Talladega - was thereafter a Richard Petty fan for many years. Didn't much like Earnhardt Sr. until I started noticing that when his car was performing poorly (which was fine with me, at the time) he many times managed to somehow finish (albeit at the tail end) on the lead lap - thereafter I had a pretty healthy respect for his abilities. I wonder, with the competition the way it has been for the last 25 years and the rules and money poured into the sport making the playing field more equal, if Dale Sr. and Jimmy Johnson aren't the best drivers ever. Petty had a lot of advantages when he was winning his races... Darrell was pretty good, like his commentating or not. But I'd have to say Earnhardt and Johnson did amazing things against the strongest competition.

Pretty good resume , can't say I disagree with any of it .

Back
Top Bottom