You Won't Believe This

I've seen videos of this kind of thing on pavement in a run what ya brung race, but never on my dirt. I'd need an explanation of the handicapping that's going on like how many times the sprint cars need to lap the field

The Hawkeye Challenge pitted six divisions of cars, the Modifieds, Stock Cars, Northern SportMods, Hobby Stocks, Mod Lites, and Sprints. Point leader from each class was locked in and passing points from the heats determined who else would be eligible for the Hawkeye Challenge. Whoever completed their specified number of laps first, would be the over all winner...Sprint Cars 25 laps, Modifieds 23 laps, SportMods 22 laps, Mod Lites 22 laps, Stock Cars 21 laps, and Hobby Stocks 20 laps.

They are interesting races. In the Hudson Speedway race, it looked like they were all running carbs, no fuel injection. But those billboards, I don't understand those at all. I'd hate to drive those in a high wind conditions. I'm thinking these races came about, because of low car counts in the different divisions. Could you imagine NASCAR trucks, xfinity, and cup cars running at the same time? 10 from each class, and two last chance qualifiers from each class.

Cool stuff. I hope the wrecks that will occur between open wheel cars and the full body cars are not as bad or as dangerous as I think they would be.

I would think that getting airborne would be less likely to happen. That usually happens when tires come together, one over the other. I'd hate to see a sprinter get T-boned by one of those heavy cars.

Local tracks around me have so many classes (too many) all with just a few cars, that I've been expecting races like this. They have combined various classes of Late Models sometimes, but I haven't seen them combine open wheel cars with full bodied cars yet. One of these local creations, at a dirt track that was going under, pitted two Late Models against one Super Street and three Street Stocks. (That was all that signed in for those classes, except for one other Super Street that broke during practice.) The Super Street won - it was a top team in the area, whereas the Late Model teams were basically junk (and the Street Stocks didn't have near the horsepower or big tires).

Oddest grudge race I saw pitted the points leading cars of the Late Model Stock Car and Modified 4 Cylinder classes (this was back in the mid 1980s, at Old Dominion Speedway which is gone now). Both classes posted nearly the same lap times, but the Late Model easily ran away with more horsepower on the straights. The odd thing was, the Late Model was a stretched Mustang (in a field of mostly Camaros), while the 4 Cylinder was a 3/4 scale Camaro (in a field of mostly Mustangs).

Back
Top Bottom