Your opinion- The Five Most Clutch Drivers in Cup

this is pretty recent and hilarious. Kyle Dam Busch at his best. Language, even preacher Joe has something to say about. I think this one reason he chokes so bad when something happens

Every thread is a Kyle Busch bash thread it seems :rolleyes:
There is actually a thread for radio chatter and probably a few for the KB bash too

1. David Pearson
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Darrell Waltrip, most folks missed it or dont remember, but he overcame huge deficits in all 3 of his title runs.
4. Harvick, much better than the RCR cars he drove all those years.
5. I just cant say, it is an interesting topic. But so subjective. A driver that is simply better than his equipment may deserve the nod. But what if it involved no wins, as in making a 20th place car a 5th to 10th place car

Would have added in Brad Kesolowski but it would have been for what he did in 2012.
But his best clutch moment may have been for a one off drive in a truck race when he filled in for a suspended Ted Musgrave. He turned heads including Dale Juniors. Then the Talladega drive in the Finch car, everybody knew who he was then.
The same goes for Alan Kulwicki's 1992..

Last edited:
In the first 10 years of the Chase, Jimmie Johnson won 25 of the 100 Chase races. That is 25%. And six championships. In the subsequent three years, he added 5 more Chase wins and the seventh championship. That is clutch.

I agree with all the comments on Brad Keselowski being a really good clutch driver. But not on JJ's level.

Kyle Busch is really good on restarts, but that is what makes him a good driver, not a good clutch driver. His Chase career is the polar opposite of Jimmie Johnson. Kyle has been in the Chase 10 times I believe, and he has just 1 career Chase win. That is choke, not clutch.

1. David Pearson
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Darrell Waltrip, most folks missed it or dont remember, but he overcame huge deficits in all 3 of his title runs.
4. Harvick, much better than the RCR cars he drove all those years.
5. I just cant say, it is an interesting topic. But so subjective. A driver that is simply better than his equipment may deserve the nod. But what if it involved no wins, as in making a 20th place car a 5th to 10th place car

Would have added in Brad Kesolowski but it would have been for what he did in 2012.
But his best clutch moment may have been for a one off drive in a truck race when he filled in for a suspended Ted Musgrave. He turned heads including Dale Juniors. Then the Talladega drive in the Finch car, everybody knew who he was then.
The same goes for Alan Kulwicki's 1992..
Someone finally identified the correct #1 clutch driver.

In the first 10 years of the Chase, Jimmie Johnson won 25 of the 100 Chase races. That is 25%. And six championships. In the subsequent three years, he added 5 more Chase wins and the seventh championship. That is clutch.

I agree with all the comments on Brad Keselowski being a really good clutch driver. But not on JJ's level.

Kyle Busch is really good on restarts, but that is what makes him a good driver, not a good clutch driver. His Chase career is the polar opposite of Jimmie Johnson. Kyle has been in the Chase 10 times I believe, and he has just 1 career Chase win. That is choke, not clutch.

Nailed it.

/thread

1 Jimmie Johnson
2. Danica Patrick. Because every good thread must include a Kyle Bush bash and a Danica mention.

Really, no one close to Jimmie in my opinion.

Please, I'm not arguing or picking your opinion apart... I just would like to hear why McMurray is clutch?
He consistently gets into the Chase on points, even back in the dark days when Chip's car's weren't that fast. Sitting 8th, one point behind Chase Elliott this year.

In terms of fuel strategy I think I'd take Brad Keselowski every day of the week over anyone if I need to save gas.

In terms of fuel strategy I think I'd take Brad Keselowski every day of the week over anyone if I need to save gas.

Man, I chuckle whenever I see his name. Brad has turned into such a likeable guy, it's ridiculous. Honestly love everything about the guy.

Man, I chuckle whenever I see his name. Brad has turned into such a likeable guy, it's ridiculous. Honestly love everything about the guy.
Brad may be the guy to get most popular driver when Jr is gone. Everybody loves him now from the social media stuff to always flying the American flag after wins, the drunk interview, he seems to appeal to the blue collar crowd and those types have been missing from the sport. Best moment this year was Blaney interviewing him, then him interviewing Blaney at Pocono I. Last week at Pocono he was going through the infield handing out Lite, Penske stuff he even signed someone's Lite hood they had set up at the camper

Last edited:
Brad may be the guy to get most popular driver when Jr is gone. Everybody loves him now from the social media stuff to always flying the American flag after wins, the drunk interview, he seems to appeal to the blue collar crowd and those types have been missing from the sport. Best moment this year was Blaney interviewing him, then him interviewing Blaney at Pocono I. Last week at Pocono he was going through the infield handing out Lite, Penske stuff he even signed someone's Lite hood they had set up at the camper
Yea the media believes that as well:owquitit:

I know he's not a current driver anymore but to me Tony Stewart would have to rank pretty high up there with his 2011 chase performance alone. Winning 5 of 10 races including the final to win the championship.

I think the most clutch of the last 15 years are

1. Johnson
2. Stewart
3. Keselowski
4. Harvick
5. Edwards (underrated. Carl ALWAYS closed out races where he had the dominant car. He always did. Plus, twice he out drove Kyle Busch in clutch situations when Kyle had been dominant all day. Carl was clutch.)

I don't know if Gordon was "clutch".. he was just really, really good. I dont recall him needing to execute in clutch. He just did his thing successfully.

Brad could be a contender but I feel Chase Elliott will take over, especially if he breaks out a win or two soon. He could very well inherit some of Jr's fan base being in the Hendrick stable, plus a lot of Gordon fans became fans of his. Not to mention those that were fans of Bill. He seems to be pretty popular with the ladies also.

The driver plays a part but even the greatest driver on track isn't going to be clutch if they aren't in top shelf equipment.

1. Johnson (duuuhhh... :))
2. Ky Busch (you just do not see him go winless ;))
3. Keselowski (I don't like him, but in fairness, he is pretty clutch.)
4. Hamlin (like Kyle, there's just no such thing as a season without a DH win)
5. Harvick (if this particular thread had been posted before he moved to Stewart-Haas, he would be higher up on my list)

Is it fine if I add an honorable mention? There is one driver who warrants it, imo. That one driver is Kasey Kahne. B) Clutch is the perfect word to describe his recent Indy victory. Even if it is not enough for him to hang on to a Hendrick contract, that win will live long in the memory and ought to do his rep good for any potential drives that come up. :cool:

Kasey Kahne is clutch enough to keep himself in decent rides. If he doesn't stay in the 5 for a year he'll probably end up at SHR in the 10 or GMS as the veteran driver to Spencer's backmarker role.

Kasey Kahne is clutch enough to keep himself in decent rides. If he doesn't stay in the 5 for a year he'll probably end up at SHR in the 10 or GMS as the veteran driver to Spencer's backmarker role.

Kasey in the 10 sounds ok, but Kasey moving to GMS? I'm just going to say naaaahhhh. Certainly not to be Spencer's teammate. o_O Who can stand him?

GMS has plenty of money and could get Hendrick satellite support.

GMS has plenty of money and could get Hendrick satellite support.
Perhaps, but with Kasey's career obviously hanging in the balance, a move to GMS would just be leaving too much to chance. He would be much better off racing with SHR, who are proven winners.

Back
Top Bottom