your own driving skills

1985 Parisienne at 85-90 in Michigan on a 75mph highway just barely keeping up with traffic. Wouldn't want to try it in a Civic, but that big beast just kept pulling, smooth as silk. I wasn't temped to try for more given I'd just driven 10 hrs+ and was knackered.

I've been a hair over 140 in a scion TC I owned a few years ago. That was down hill. It only did 135 on flat ground. I was an idiot.

For buying a Scion or for going that fast in one? :D

Actually, as an 18 year old kid it was a saweet ride. :D But yeah moreso just for my admittedly reckless driving when I was a bit younger. I also had a Chevy aveo(lol) for a time. It went 120 on a few different occasions, the triple digit rollerskate. Bahahaha

excellent driver.jpeg

I'm an excellent driver

I read an insurance industry report that they'd done a survey, and over 75% of the responders considered themselves "above average" drivers. Of course, it's only mathematically possible for 50% of all drivers to be "above average"... kind-a shows a lot of us are overly optimistic...

I have not driven any of my current cars faster than 75 mph, which was the speed limit of that road. I fix my "need for speed" on the race track. We're nuts to drive much over the speed limit on public roads. Too many impaired or bad drivers out there, too many vehicles needing service, too much debris and potholes. I once turned away a guy who was interviewing to drive my race car because he tried to impress me about how he drove like a maniac on public streets. Told him I couldn't afford irresponsible drivers.

Back in my checkered youth I did get a 1963 Valiant up to 100 mph for over an hour. I was late getting back up to college, but I was a dope for running it that hard. It was over fifteen years old and in terrible shape. It was funny - 100 was all she had in top gear (third). While doing it I had a new Monte Carlo pull up beside me wanting to race, but I ignored him (I was already full tilt) so he paced me for a couple of miles and then roared off.

1968 Javelin ---- pegged 140 on the speedometer, but she was still pulling hard. :)
I think the fastest I've been lately in the Town Car was 95 --- but I wasn't really trying.

In my "current" vehicle, the fastest I have been so far is 65. That's because I am currently borrowing a vehicle. Because I ran mine into the carport. At 5 miles per hour. So there's my driving skills.

First accident I've ever had in eight years of driving, and it couldn't be more embarrassing.

80 mph... I've got no reason to go any faster than that. I've never been on a highway with a speed limit over 75, and I see no reason to go any faster than five over. Sure I get passed constantly, but I don't mind.

80 mph... I've got no reason to go any faster than that. I've never been on a highway with a speed limit over 75, and I see no reason to go any faster than five over. Sure I get passed constantly, but I don't mind.

On my local freeways(ugh fine, highways) if you aren't doing 5 to 10 mph over, you're a rolling chicane.

You almost HAVE to drive 70+(fastest CA speed limit I've seen). I've actually been on the 20 thru Texas and at one point somewhat near Odessa, the speed limit was 80. I got pulled over and a trooper gave me a warning for going 85 lol. Had to push it.......

I'd say around 85. If you're going under 70 on the highways around where I live you'll be getting passed left and right. Cops are everywhere though as I live close to the city, but they usually wont nab you until you hit 15mph over, at least on the highways.

What this has to do with "driving skills," I don't know :D

I'd say around 85. If you're going under 70 on the highways around where I live you'll be getting passed left and right. Cops are everywhere though as I live close to the city, but they usually wont nab you until you hit 15mph over, at least on the highways.

What this has to do with "driving skills," I don't know :D

Lol at the last part. We screwed this all up. Uhhhh.... I can parrallel park half asleep like a champion? I can drive all of Ortega Highway in 15 minutes? **** idk..

Lol at the last part. We screwed this all up. Uhhhh.... I can parrallel park half asleep like a champion? I can drive all of Ortega Highway in 15 minutes? **** idk..
lol, I think I've parallel parked maybe twice since my driver's test :dunce:

I have pinpointed the exact speed I can round this one corner on my commute where the tires begin to slide. I'm pretty badass, I know.

When it comes to parallel parking, it really depends obviously on how much space their is in each parking spot. The only real time I am forced to parallel park is when I want to do some walking downtown. It's not a large downtown area, so there's no parking garages. When I do parallel park, I feel like I do a decent job. I sucked at it in my drivers test though, but I suppose that's because I basically had a backseat driver just looking to find something that I did wrong.

When it comes to parallel parking, it really depends obviously on how much space their is in each parking spot. The only real time I am forced to parallel park is when I want to do some walking downtown. It's not a large downtown area, so there's no parking garages. When I do parallel park, I feel like I do a decent job. I sucked at it in my drivers test though, but I suppose that's because I basically had a backseat driver just looking to find something that I did wrong.
I failed my first drivers test for going 31 in a 30 zone. I didn't realize they actually take that seriously haha

I have pinpointed the exact speed I can round this one corner on my commute where the tires begin to slide. I'm pretty badass, I know.

If you live near the coast, parrallel parking is part of the daily routine. Literal pain in the neck.

Parallel parking with cars behind you is pressure isn't it?? I always like when I nail the perfect park on the first try...and if my gf is in the passengers seat and I get the chance to impress her so much the better..;)

As for speed, I had a mazda 626 up to 110 mph..I was a dummy. Engine was screaming at me...pretty much red lined.

I don't know if it's a skill as such, but in 50+ years of driving, I've had exactly 3 tickets ( one was on my 30th birthday coming home from the dirt track with my MIL in the car) and no accidents.*fingers crossed and knock on wood*
I can't parallel park worth a damn, but I can navigate the parking garages of the medical center in Houston in my Town Car without having to back up to make it around corners. :D

triple digits in my big truck grossing 79,500 late one night, beat my pegging the spedo on my GTO when I was a kid for an adrenaline rush. My state has 75MPH toll roads, so plenty of opportunities of 80ish keeping up with traffic if you want to go that fast. I usually am not in that much of a hurry.

I don't know if it's a skill as such, but in 50+ years of driving, I've had exactly 3 tickets ( one was on my 30th birthday coming home from the dirt track with my MIL in the car) and no accidents.*fingers crossed and knock on wood*
I can't parallel park worth a damn, but I can navigate the parking garages of the medical center in Houston in my Town Car without having to back up to make it around corners. :D
That MIL drove me nut's until the brain fart faded and I said, self you Dumbass It's MOTHER IN LAW.

Psh, after the test, your teacher probably drove 10 over on his way home.
I had an angry old woman doing my test. I was in an unfamiliar area and we turned onto a pretty wide open road so I assumed the speed limit would be higher, but the second I went a tick over 30 she was all like "you better watch your speed" and I automatically failed. I was super pissed as I nailed every other part, especially the parallel parking which I was really worried about. Oh well.

I can't parallel park worth a crap, fortunately I hardly ever have to do so around here. I haven't had an accident in many years though, so I'd say my driving skills are pretty good.

I'm inspired.
For the past 1/2 hr I've been on every website I can think of; Pep Boys, Autozone, O'Reilly's...
Nobody carries siren & red lights! :mad:
Dang, Bobby, if I'd known you wanted some red lights, I'd have not thrown away the ones my husband used on his car when he
did reserve work for Harris County. Sorry. :(

2 tickets in 40 years: 85 in a Gremlin (cop asked if I got good millage and I said yep even at 85); 90 in a Chrysler 300m (got it higher) I pulled over and waited for the cop to slow down and turn around (he dropped the speed to 70 on the ticket).

Let's see ---- doing well over the limit when a county mounty went by in the opposite direction. There was another car to my inside that I had passed just before the deputy came by. I watched in the rearview as the car turned around. I turned off the cruise and let the other car go right on by me. Sure enough, here came red lights. Since I had not used the brakes, the cop figured it was the other guy busting the limit --- pulled him over and I kept right on going --- the speed limit. :D

Dirty pool, I know.

Let's see ---- doing well over the limit when a county mounty went by in the opposite direction. There was another car to my inside that I had passed just before the deputy came by. I watched in the rearview as the car turned around. I turned off the cruise and let the other car go right on by me. Sure enough, here came red lights. Since I had not used the brakes, the cop figured it was the other guy busting the limit --- pulled him over and I kept right on going --- the speed limit. :D

Dirty pool, I know.

I found this especially funny today because something similar almost happened. I was going 55, somebody was all over my bumper (Yes, in the borrowed vehicle) on a straight, but hilly country road. Finally, Mario found the chance to duck into the other lane and pass me, but we were coming up on an intersection and there just so happened to be a sheriff's car stopped at that intersection, which just so happens to be the road the county sheriff lives on.

Suddenly, the speedster got a lot slower and had no problems settling in behind me at a reasonable distance.

Well, I can't say I'm overly proud of this incident, but, a dozen years or so ago I was driving my '97 Grand Am that handled really well and had a surprisingly strong little quad 4 type 155 horsepower engine. That's quite a bit for that light of a car. Anyway, I was really pissed about getting the run around from the DMV (of course what they told me to bring on the phone is not what they told me I need when I took the late afternoon off of work and went there right before they closed for the day) after getting a warning from a cop earlier in the day that my plates had expired a few days earlier. I had thought that I had until the end of the month of my birthday, but I was wrong. Anyway, I'm really pissed and I'm driving like a maniac, I'm probably doing well over 60 in a 35 that may even be a 25. This particular street had a big grass median in the middle of it and places cut out to turn into streets occasionally. I was pretty much blinded with rage and didn't see a cop coming the other way until it was way too late to slow down. He went flying past me and I saw him do a quick u-turn through one of those and I just thought, "Oh hell no, not today, not on expired plates." I just gunned it and ripped a right turn and gunned it and just started gunning it and ripping turns until I was satisfied that he had no idea where I was and I didn't hear the siren any more. I think my car and I both aged a few years that day, but I was never so proud of that car in my life.

Parallel parking? I regularly parallel park my 19' long full sized wagon. Practice and pay attention is all it takes. And good mirrors. The wagon's mirrors are far too small.

Back
Top Bottom