Zipadelli to leave Gibbs

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Is to reunite with Smoke at SHR as competition director.

From here.

Despite winning the 2011 Sprint Cup championship, Tony Stewart is not resting. He instead continues to add key personnel to Stewart Haas Racing.

Greg Zipadelli, the crew chief who paired with Stewart to win the 2002 and 2005 series championships, will reunite with his former driver at SHR in 2012 as the organization's competition director, multiple industry sources told ESPN.com Friday.

The team had been without a competition director since it released Bobby Hutchens in June. Zipadelli, sources said, was granted a release from his contract with Joe Gibbs Racing and will move immediately to SHR.

At Stewart Haas Racing, Zipadelli will oversee building Danica Patrick's team as she debuts in the Sprint Cup Series on a part-time basis in 2012, though it is unknown at this time who will serve as her crew chief, sources said.

Neither SHR nor JGR officials immediately returned requests for comment Friday morning.

Two weeks ago it was announced that Steve Addington will serve as Stewart's crew chief next season, while Darian Grubb, who directed Stewart's team to the 2011 Sprint Cup title, will move to JGR as Denny Hamlin's crew chief.

Zipadelli had been the crew chief of the Joe Gibbs Racing No. 20 car since Stewart's rookie year in 1999.

I guess Zippy posting that pic on Twitter of he and Steve Addington wasn't any kind of a hint. :rolleyes: :sarcasm:

And for all you Doubters over Tony's choice in Crewcheifs for 2012 :p HAHAHAHAAA!!!

Poor Jason. I hope it works out for them.

I think Joey needs to wake up and stop being a loaf rather than sliced. He's young, and seems to feel like he made it already. He needs more of Kez's attitude. "My career is secure only as long as I'm getting it done".

From his press conference.....

Greg Zipadelli admits that it "looks like'' he'll be Danica's crew chief until they find someone for that position long term.

From his press conference.....

Greg Zipadelli admits that it "looks like'' he'll be Danica's crew chief until they find someone for that position long term.

And then he said, "That's just a pencil in my pocket, Im not really that happy to be her CC."

IMO, that can only make the Stewart Haas organization that much stronger.

Seems to me, that Tony is doing what Dale Earnhardt did when he formed DEI.

Surround yourself with good people that are talented and pay them well.

Oh wait, sorry Darian, you just suck. ;)

So far, half of the organizations are being put through a blender. HMS seems to be the only stable guys out there. I was expecting to hear about a bunch of 48 guys making moves up with other organizations, but everyone seems to be too busy screwing each other.

So far, half of the organizations are being put through a blender. HMS seems to be the only stable guys out there. I was expecting to hear about a bunch of 48 guys making moves up with other organizations, but everyone seems to be too busy screwing each other.

Nice observance. Hendrick is the only one to keep their secrets theirs as far as people moving goes.

Nice observance. Hendrick is the only one to keep their secrets theirs as far as people moving goes.

I'm an observant guy. Just the other day, I found a 'ignore trouble making tattle tales' box in my profile options. Works wonders. :D

And for all you Doubters over Tony's choice in Crewcheifs for 2012 :p HAHAHAHAAA!!!

Sorry if my earlier post sounded childish and immature ( I am 50 honest ) I've been waiting on this announcement for awhile now :D

Glad to have Zippy back in the BowTie Camp :D:D:D:

So all of JD's proclimations that Zippy would be with JGR thru the final two years of his contract were just BS?
Wow! What a shocker! :sarcasm:

Greg Zippadelli's first move was to fire Tony Stewart. "Now we are rid of all the slackers from last year".

OK how long till Addington makes a bad call and finds himself CC for the 10? And Zippy just happens to be free that weekend! lol Actually im jacked about this move. Can do nothing but improve the whole group.

OK how long till Addington makes a bad call and finds himself CC for the 10? And Zippy just happens to be free that weekend! lol Actually im jacked about this move. Can do nothing but improve the whole group.

Interesting thought. SHR offered Zippy a position as director of competition, and JGR said they couldn't give him an equal position. It may have been his way out of JGR. 2 days later, he's talking about also being a part time CC at SHR.

Zippy may be the DoC, but something tells me he'll be on the box right next to Addington.

Stewart and Zipadelli together again? Don't be surprised if the #14 goes on a wicked tear next year.

Or not . Ten races with a great driver do not make a dynasty . They have done a lot of building this off season but the results are , as yet , unproven.There is also the matter of the other team cars. This year will go a long way to show weather Stewart Haas is in the same league as Hendrick , Gibbs , Roush or Childress. The way things are headed , they may pass Penske.

Stewart and Zipadelli together again? Don't be surprised if the #14 goes on a wicked tear next year.

I WILL be surprised.

They may have been good together at JGR.

This is all new and will take time to rebuild teamwork. I just don't believe this will be a magic match up like before. It will take time.

I WILL be surprised.

They may have been good together at JGR.

This is all new and will take time to rebuild teamwork. I just don't believe this will be a magic match up like before. It will take time.

Zipadelli is, IMO, one of the top 3 CC's in Nascar and Stewart with the right fire lit under him is the best driver so to me it's inevitable.

I wont be shocked if Stewart wins 10 races next year

Zippy will be floundering around in his new job trying to run a three car team.I doubt he gets the chance to have a beer with Tony , let alone help him to win a race.

i hope tony does well next year but people need to remember zippy was hired as director of competition. addington is tony's crew chief. hopefully everything turns out great. i don't see zippy overriding addington's calls on the pit box. that wouldn't exactly be a morale booster for addington. they both have distinct jobs and i'd be surprised if either of them goes outside the box of their assigned duties. it will be at the shop and shr meetings where zippy's input will be delivered the most.

Tony and Zippy won 4 of their last 72 races together. Even if Zippy CC's for Tony, I don't expect 10 wins right out of the box.

I don' see Tony or Brad having anywhere near as good a year in 2012. Both were lucky to make the chase this year and will have to be very lucky to make the chase in 2012. Of the two, Tony has the better chance of making the chase.

I don' see Tony or Brad having anywhere near as good a year in 2012. Both were lucky to make the chase this year and will have to be very lucky to make the chase in 2012. Of the two, Tony has the better chance of making the chase.

I'm excited about Paul and Todd being reunited. With a little luck, Kez would have won Indy and the Coke whatever it was.

You are kidding, right. And the first year SHR was formed, it was light years ahead of Penske.

Back
Top Bottom