2014 Chase for the Cup Hype

At least they're having commercials. I don't think they've had near enough advertisement in the last few years. I like what they're doing.

Well hopefully if Jr wins it(and he has a good chance) he'll get it with both point systems so no one says anything about it at the end of the year. For sure this is a year that you can say people would have done different if not for the chase. Some drivers(and they shouldn't really) don't even come back out after wrecking when even under the older chase formats they would have.

Well hopefully if Jr wins it(and he has a good chance) he'll get it with both point systems so no one says anything about it at the end of the year. For sure this is a year that you can say people would have done different if not for the chase. Some drivers(and they shouldn't really) don't even come back out after wrecking when even under the older chase formats they would have.
People will always say the drivers & teams would have acted differently because of the points system.

Which is funny because Im pretty sure every driver is trying to pass every driver every week regardless of .. well... anything.. lol
Ask Dale Jr that after 'dega

You came into nascar after the chase was created. I dont know how much room you have to debate about noticing differences in racing styles through different points systems

Ask Dale Jr that after 'dega

You came into nascar after the chase was created. I dont know how much room you have to debate about noticing differences in racing styles through different points systems
Pretty sure that doesn't matter at all actually... I have plenty of room to debate whatever I want regardless of how long I've watched NASCAR lol... You do realize that Im agreeing with you though right?

I like it, but agree with the poster who mentioned seemed like stick and ball. That commercial looks like something you'd see re:the NFL

Doesn't matter, the NFL is going to slaughter NASCAR from here till the end of the season. Just like every season. After this years "failure", I wonder what gimmicks they'll think of for next.

Doesn't matter, the NFL is going to slaughter NASCAR from here till the end of the season. Just like every season. After this years "failure", I wonder what gimmicks they'll think of for next.

zzzz.jpg

I don't look at this version of the Chase being any worse than the original implementation of the Chase. Nothings really been the same since. By design this version will create excitement. It can't help to do so with the elimination format. I'm not a fan of any version of the Chase but if they're going to have it they might as well make it exciting.

If we could only get the loud obnoxious Dick Vitale to do a promo, then it would be a real tournament baby.

When Patrick makes the chase Viewership will increase.
Hope and pray its this yr

16 nations? sounds like a world cup reference to me. 10 battles? ok thats cool I guess. 1 winner, duh.

Sounds very stick n ball
The nation thing is they call Jr fans "Jr. Nation" .They want you to think every driver has a nation of fans.So not land type nation but fan nations.

Try this.

thanks dp.
chex gonna have ta go back ta link 101 class. :D :sarcasm:
***we don't get much chance ta bust a college boy chex !

looks like helluva adv for casual fans ! even non fans.
hope they use it ta cross promote w/ other sports / etc.

I think ratings will go up a bit when the 43 is noticed in the commercial.

It's a very cool commercial that might the occiasional casual fan to be attracted to.

will all ya anti '14 chase critics still be complainin........ after homestead ?

or jumpin on bandwagon come dega / martinsville ? :D

I don't look at this version of the Chase being any worse than the original implementation of the Chase. Nothings really been the same since. By design this version will create excitement. It can't help to do so with the elimination format. I'm not a fan of any version of the Chase but if they're going to have it they might as well make it exciting.

Except for the fact that there will be FOUR points resets (not just eliminations), and there is one race after the final reset instead of ten.

The point resets are my huge problem with this chase, not so much the eliminations. This is much worse than the original chase.

Except for the fact that there will be FOUR points resets (not just eliminations), and there is one race after the final reset instead of ten.

The point resets are my huge problem with this chase, not so much the eliminations. This is much worse than the original chase.

I don't like the multiple point resets either. One driver could dominate the Eliminator round and have a bad race at Homestead and lose the championship. Sure it will be exciting but only because it's designed to be exciting. If there was one point reset halfway through the chase it wouldn't be as bad.

I've often thought about this. I've only been following NASCAR during the chase era so I can't relate how the chase is compared to the old format but why couldn't NASCAR make winning matter more by giving the winning driver more points per race win. For example: If a win gets you 43 points and second place finish gets you 42 points why not make a win equal 50 points or even more and second would still get 42 points. To me that would make winning more valuable.

Jeff would have 6 cup titles if it wasn't for the gimmick chase. 04 and 07.

Oh well.

Prior to the new Chase for the Cup, Gordon held a 60-point lead over Johnson, but after the ten races, Gordon finished the season third in the points standings behind champion Kurt Busch by 16 points and Johnson by 8. Had the Chase not existed, and assuming the finishing spots remained the same, Gordon would have won the championship by 47 points.[82]

Finishing fourth in the Ford 400, Gordon finished the Chase second in the standings to Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jimmie Johnson, trailing by 77. However, Gordon's top-ten finish at Homestead left him with a total of 30 top-ten finishes for the season, setting a new modern era Cup Series record.[9] This was the second time that Gordon lost a championship because of the Chase points system. Had the Chase not existed, Gordon would have won the championship by 353 points.[82]As with 2004, he recorded the most points over the entire season, but lost the title because of the ten race championship system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the multiple point resets either. One driver could dominate the Eliminator round and have a bad race at Homestead and lose the championship. Sure it will be exciting but only because it's designed to be exciting. If there was one point reset halfway through the chase it wouldn't be as bad.

I've often thought about this. I've only been following NASCAR during the chase era so I can't relate how the chase is compared to the old format but why couldn't NASCAR make winning matter more by giving the winning driver more points per race win. For example: If a win gets you 43 points and second place finish gets you 42 points why not make a win equal 50 points or even more and second would still get 42 points. To me that would make winning more valuable.
The intent isn't necessarily to emphasize winning, it's to guarantee a "Game 7" every single year. They said as much during their "Meet the Press" back in February.

I think ratings will go up a bit when the 43 is noticed in the commercial.

Hate to burst your bubble, but everybody who cares about the #43 and its history either watches NASCAR or doesn't exist. Ricky Carmichael is a bigger "racing star" to most of the under-25 crowd than Richard Petty.

The only thing the points resets do is make sure these guys are staying on top of their game... nothin wrong with that. It's gonna be a helluva show.

Back
Top Bottom