2015 Rules Package Announced

.... and as the engineers and teams work to get back what has been lost/changed, advantages will be gained and lost. For me, this adds interest. Optimistic and anxious to see how my TRD people respond.

I agree. Engine builders ultimately found more speed via the Restrictor plate engines. They learned to utilize lighter parts and make them reliable to compensate, and they carried some of that over to their the regular engine program with success.

They will go through a similar development here, and with the win and your are in the Chase deal I am expecting big develop high risk grenades afterwards in the cars that get an early win prior to the Chase.
They will gain some of the lost 125 HP back in the process, before the Chase.

And thanks for the kind words.

It will be interesting to see how this affects drivers like Larson who excel best when they're driving cars with higher power:weight ratios. His numbers this year are comparable to his Nationwide stats last year, which is phenomenal considering the huge difference in competition.

I agree. Engine builders ultimately found more speed via the Restrictor plate engines. They learned to utilize lighter parts and make them reliable to compensate, and they carried some of that over to their the regular engine program with success.

They will go through a similar development here, and with the win and your are in the Chase deal I am expecting big develop high risk grenades afterwards in the cars that get an early win prior to the Chase.
They will gain some of the lost 125 HP back in the process, before the Chase.

And thanks for the kind words.

In the context of "win and in", David Wilson said that had they understood the new Chase format earlier, they would have tuned more aggressively. I would be shocked if we didn't see motors blow. Naysayers would assert that TRD should have been able to respond quicker. IMO this suggests the integrated nature of engine tuning. You don't just ratchet everything up when you want to go fast.

You betcha on the words. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here.

In the context of "win and in", David Wilson said that had they understood the new Chase format earlier, they would have tuned more aggressively. I would be shocked if we didn't see motors blow. Naysayers would assert that TRD should have been able to respond quicker. IMO this suggests the integrated nature of engine tuning. You don't just ratchet everything up when you want to go fast.

You betcha on the words. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here.

It took David Wilson 5 month's to decipher 'win and you're in'?

No wonder Toyota is so far behind.

It took David Wilson 5 month's to decipher 'win and you're in'?

No wonder Toyota is so far behind.

Yeah, I figured somebody would pick up on that. 14 wins last year was great, but ran contrary to the reliability reputation of Toyota. That could not happen again in the format last year. TRD was intentional about making sure reliability was on par or better than other builders. David spoke to this preseason. Mission accomplished on that front. With the new format, the message is that they probably would have been satisfied to an extent with win and blow if necessary. I think the other piece as I mentioned is the complex nature of building an engine. God only knows the pieces that were redesigned, tunes reprogrammed, etc. to meet the reliability goals and performance which would have been advantageous in last year's format. The other thing to note is that TRD is not a company that responds with knee jerk reactions--probably the parent company influence. You have to remember that the problems Toyota teams have had are not exclusive to the motor. Set up has been a nightmare. It has taken a huge amount of time to sort all of this out. I am impressed that they actually did. Those cars are close enough in overall speed IMO at the time when it matters most. Problem is....this is racing, and **** happens. We've got two guys in trouble who have to come up with clutch performances. Gonna be interesting, and as sick as this sounds....I am enjoying it.

Hang on. My biggest concern is this:

How the hell are we going to find the next Cole Trickle without private testing?

Now we'll just hire some 'ole boy who's washed up. Or wasn't worth a damn to begin with.

I think Nascar will have a program for that. It will be on right after "the amazing race". Something catchy like "Test Driver... Death Match"

Hang on. My biggest concern is this:

How the hell are we going to find the next Cole Trickle without private testing?

Now we'll just hire some 'ole boy who's washed up. Or wasn't worth a damn to begin with.

If you think it's luck we'll do it again.

No Gibbs or Penske yet Furniture Row has one?

Yeah I thought so too, kinda hard to believe. The 7 post is the latest whiz bang unit, plenty of 4 and 6 posters out there, and also independent testing places who use them.

With the move to roller lifers the engine builders with try to get very aggressive with cam profiles. Think we'll be hearing "dropped a valve" a lot next year. Maybe that's the reason flat tappet motors will still be legal.

With the move to roller lifers the engine builders with try to get very aggressive with cam profiles. Think we'll be hearing "dropped a valve" a lot next year. Maybe that's the reason flat tappet motors will still be legal.
Roller lifters are easier on the cam, but because they are heavier than flat tappets they have to have a stiffer spring and we all know how much trouble they are having with broken springs..kaBoom.

Whatever happened to the larger tire? Going from 15 to 16-17 inch?

Whatever happened to the larger tire? Going from 15 to 16-17 inch?
When were they discussing that? The only thing similar to that which I've heard of was F1 potentially going to a bigger wheel with a lower-profile tire.

"I think (downforce) is always a moving target as we learn more about these race cars," David Ragan told FOXSports.com. "As race teams, we're trying to get more downforce on the cars, because that equals more speed. That's always going to be a moving target. What was good 10 years ago is not going to be good today, and what's good tomorrow is not going to be good five years down the road. In my opinion, NASCAR needs to keep moving that around.

"I am 100 percent with Carl (Edwards) -- I know he's been very outspoken, and so have a few of the other drivers, that the less downforce we can have, the most horsepower we can have, and the softest tire we can have will produce the best racing," he said. "Any racetrack I've driven over the years, any race car I've driven over the years, the tracks that wore the tires out, that had a lot of fall off, that had less downforce, was the best racing."

Joe Gibbs Racing crew chief Darian Grubb indicated he would have liked to see more downforce removed, but thought NASCAR made a good call on all other counts.

"All the things are good, and it's a move in the right direction," said Grubb. "It's going to put a lot of things back in the driver's hands. The car won't be as important -- it's always important -- but this will give the drivers more capability to slide the car around and make mistakes and have the opportunity for more passing. I hope they continue going forward in that direction moving on.

"I think it's still going to be good racing," he said. "If the rule's 725, we're going to try and get 750 out of it. That's the way the sport works; everybody tries to get everything they can."

However, not everyone is convinced the move to reduce horsepower is one in the right direction.

"I'm not sure if I'm happy about taking away horsepower," said driver AJ Allmendinger. "I think that remains to be seen if it will make the racing better. But I think anything we can do just to soften the tires up a little bit, and take downforce away so the cars move around a little bit more. You are out of the throttle more. I think the thing I wonder about with the horsepower down is will it make us be out of the throttle anymore, or will it be like a Nationwide car to where you almost wide open around the rest. I think that is my question."

Full article: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...r-s-rules-for-2015-really-affect-teams-100114

Why is AJ complaining? :idunno:

He'll be mediocre either way. Winning a race and making the chase has inflated this guy's ego tenfold.

What does that have to do with the fact he'll be mediocre at best?
he won the closest race of the season..and the most entertaining. Me thinks your judgement of what is mediocre is a bit flawed. but you do know everything there is to know about one driver, for what that is worth.

he won the closest race of the season..and the most entertaining. Me thinks your judgement of what is mediocre is a bit flawed. but you do know everything there is to know about one driver, for what that is worth.

Dude, he won at the Glen. A road course.

First of all, he comes from an open wheel background so duh! His bread and butter so he'll do good there but this is NASCAR. They only hit those types of track twice a year. Anywhere else he's subpar.

He's an overall mediocre driver on an even ****tier team.

You are welcome to show me his blistering overall NASCAR stats if you'd like.

He'll be mediocre either way. Winning a race and making the chase has inflated this guy's ego tenfold.
maybe cause he'll be 1 of only 43 guys in whole friggin usa (325 million ) .......that'll be drivin a '15 cup car ?
That doesn't tell me ****.
that fact .........preceded ya post above.
What does that have to do with the fact he'll be mediocre at best?

???? chronology help any ? ha!

First of all, he comes from an open wheel background so duh! His bread and butter so he'll do good there but this is NASCAR. They only hit those types of track twice a year. Anywhere else he's subpar.

i concur....there's a reason he was on so many's list of first one out...not saying he's not a good driver, just not in the top 20 of the 43 drivers racing every week...my opinion

Exactly. So he excels at road courses. Good for him. You know how many road courses there are in the chase? 0.

He's a likable guy with tons of drive - but not enough talent or a strong enough team.

So when asked about the 2015 rules package, what should AJ's response be according to you? "I'm sorry guys, I'm not qualified to answer any competition related questions because I'm mediocre at best...." "Ask one of the better drivers I'm not important enough to talk to the media"

Sheesh he's one of the drivers in the field, why can't he have any opinion on the matter?

yeah and stone the reporter that had the nerve to ask such a mediocre driver for his opinion. :rolleyes: Makes me think the original complainer is the one with the inflated ego.:p

So when asked about the 2015 rules package, what should AJ's response be according to you? "I'm sorry guys, I'm not qualified to answer any competition related questions because I'm mediocre at best...." "Ask one of the better drivers I'm not important enough to talk to the media"

Sheesh he's one of the drivers in the field, why can't he have any opinion on the matter?

Umm maybe because he's taking a mocking attitude about the change like he's a big shot? If you're going to have a negative opinion about something that hasn't even being put out yet, then you deserve to be critique as well.

But that's besides the point. My original post was asking why he was complaining and being mediocre and that whether this new racing package is good or bad, it won't make a difference for him because A, he's not that good and B, he's with a crappy team that is underperforming on a weekly basis.

Then I got quoted about something else entirely.

Let me ask you all this:

Do you all consider Casey Mears mediocre or plain bad? If yes, you cant argue with the fact AJ is as well.

Umm maybe because he's taking a mocking attitude about the change like he's a big shot? If you're going to have a negative opinion about something that hasn't even being put out yet, then you deserve to be critique as well.
I would give my left stone to be one of the 43 best nascar drivers out there. One thing I could do is to really piss you off by sticking my finger up and telling you that I know a helluva lot more about racing than you because I'm a driver in the cup series. How many race car drivers out there do you think would give anything they have to be in nascar's top series even if they weren't in the top 15 or 20? But alas I'm just a semi knowledgeable fan that loves racing. So I admit that I don't know doodoo about some of this technical stuff.

But that's besides the point. My original post was asking why he was complaining and being mediocre and that whether this new racing package is good or bad, it won't make a difference for him because A, he's not that good and B, he's with a crappy team that is underperforming on a weekly basis.

Then I got quoted about something else entirely.

Let me ask you all this:

Do you all consider Casey Mears mediocre or plain bad? If yes, you cant argue with the fact AJ is as well.

is casey mears mediocre ??
where tha flk did that come from ?

op is 2015 rules package !
fl 's article is about '15 rules.

cover pic for article is tony gibson & danica.
gibson interviewed.
so is todd berrier.........and david ragan.
hhhmmm........did those 3 teams make tha chase ?

dinger did !

Back
Top Bottom