2016 Charlotte - All-Star Race - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Note: All times are ET

THURSDAY, MAY 19:

ON TRACK
-- 12:30-1:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practice (Follow live)
-- 2:30-3:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series second practice (Follow live)
-- 4:30-5:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)

FRIDAY, MAY 20:

ON TRACK
-- 1:30-2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Sprint Showdown final practice (Sprint Showdown qualifying), FS1 (Follow live)
-- 3-4:40 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Sprint All-Star Race final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 5:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 7:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Sprint Showdown (20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), FS1 (Follow live)
-- 8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series NC Education Lottery 200 (134 laps, 201 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

SATURDAY, MAY 21:

ON TRACK
-- 7:10 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying (three laps with pit stop), FS1 (Follow live)
-- 9 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Sprint All-Star Race (50 laps, 50 laps, 13 laps) FS1 (Follow live)

Screw it. This year I'm sticking to my guns. I ain't staying up to watch this gimmick-fest, and this time I mean it. See y'all when the 600 discussion opens.

Screw it. This year I'm sticking to my guns. I ain't staying up to watch this gimmick-fest, and this time I mean it. See y'all when the 600 discussion opens.
Too bad you can't enjoy it for what it is but it least you get to take a week off from the action.

I like the All Star race break in the season. It's still racing but more relaxed. Gimmicks? Sure there are. They do things to change it up from the norm. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I like their form of qualifying for this how they involve the pit stop/crew. I do miss the pit crew competition though. I wish there were a way to bring that back.

Too bad you can't enjoy it for what it is but it least you get to take a week off from the action.

I like the All Star race break in the season. It's still racing but more relaxed. Gimmicks? Sure there are. They do things to change it up from the norm. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I like their form of qualifying for this how they involve the pit stop/crew. I do miss the pit crew competition though. I wish there were a way to bring that back.
I don't see why they can't just integrate it with the existing qualifying format. Fastest stop wins?

I gonna miss this weekends festivities because of a previous engagement with some friends of mine which will also be some fun. I do plan on watching some on replay at some point though.

All-Star Race Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2007 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
2008 - Kasey Kahne (Dodge)
2009 - Tony Stewart (Chevrolet)
2010 - Kurt Busch (Dodge)
2011 - Carl Edwards (Ford)
2012 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2013 - Jimmie Johnson (Chevrolet)
2014 - Jamie McMurray (Chevrolet)
2015 - Denny Hamlin (Toyota)

This weekend is most definitely entertainment. I remember cars coming down pit road wide open and look forward to seeing it again --- however briefly.
I can't imagine the guts it took to jump out in front of those cars week in and week out with no speed limit. *shudder*
The last few years qualifying has been better than the actual race.

Atleast watch the showdown.

You're gonna have the 3, the 6, 17, 21, 24, 27, 42, and maybe 10, 15, 47, fighting for 2 spots in the all-star race(which is totally winable for one of these drivers). We all know #Diburrito and DP are gonna be voted in. So the showdown is probably going to be a damn good race.

I gonna miss this weekends festivities because of a previous engagement with some friends of mine which will also be some fun. I do plan on watching some on replay at some point though.
Ive have previous engagements for both Friday/Saturday late afternoon/evening, Saturdays I can skip out of if I want to.

It is entertainment first, sport second - I plan on being entertained especially when that first car comes down pit road during qualifying at full speed :)
That is fast becoming my favorite part of the ASR weekend, its just damn exciting watching them trying to get on pit road while trying to carry the most speed possible.

CioZQNTVEAAx5Zf.jpg

That is fast becoming my favorite part of the ASR weekend, its just damn exciting watching them trying to get on pit road while trying to carry the most speed possible.
upload_2016-5-17_6-57-21.jpeg

Ive have previous engagements for both Friday/Saturday late afternoon/evening, Saturdays I can skip out of if I want to.
Mine is a Friday Evening and most of the day Saturday event so I won't have much time to get to watch at all.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...th-more-grip-for-nascar-all-star-race-737694/

Goodyear officials announced Tuesday that both the Camping World Truck and Sprint Cup series will utilize new tire set-ups for their respective races Friday and Saturday nights.

Two new tire codes will debut for the Cup teams – a left-side tire that features a compound change for more grip, and a right-side tire which is a single-tread compound that offers more grip than either of the two compounds run on the multi-zone tread tire used last year.

Eligibility Criteria for the Sprint All-Star Race & Showdown
  • Eligibility: Drivers who have:
    won a race in the current or preceding year;
    past NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race winners;
    past NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champions;
  • longtime fans of the sport with a valid US address, (Check your mailboxes);
    Sprint Showdown Segment 1, 2 and last-chance qualifier winners and;
    the Sprint Fan Vote winner are eligible to compete.
    The final order of the Sprint Fan Vote will fill any remaining spots until the field reaches the minimum of 20 cars. Sprint Fan Vote balloting ends prior to the Sprint Showdown on May 20

Tony Stewart to give command at Sprint All-Star race

NASCAR.com has learned that Tony Stewart will have a special role for the Sprint All-Star Race on May 21. Stewart, who is in his final full-time Sprint Cup season, will say the most famous words in racing, "Drivers, Start Your Engines."

The Stewart-Haas Racing co-owner and driver will give the command from inside his No. 14 Chevrolet.

Joe Gibbs, who has enjoyed a total of seven wins this season, will, too, have an additional role for the event. Gibbs will begin the day by leading the invocation.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...d-all-star-race-charlotte-motor-speedway.html

Queue the JG hate.....

Tony Stewart to give command at Sprint All-Star race

NASCAR.com has learned that Tony Stewart will have a special role for the Sprint All-Star Race on May 21. Stewart, who is in his final full-time Sprint Cup season, will say the most famous words in racing, "Drivers, Start Your Engines."

The Stewart-Haas Racing co-owner and driver will give the command from inside his No. 14 Chevrolet.

Joe Gibbs, who has enjoyed a total of seven wins this season, will, too, have an additional role for the event. Gibbs will begin the day by leading the invocation.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...d-all-star-race-charlotte-motor-speedway.html

Queue the JG hate.....
I dont hate coach. hes a great guy and I think its great hes leading the invocation...some of his drivers arent my favs lol

EDIT: I thinks its super what Tony is doing!

I have said if before......I will pay to listen to a TRD powered Camry idle. I'm in.

Absolutely one of the best parts. Even Jeff Gordon said in the booth last Sunday that he will not miss that part. I am guessing the Driver pucker factor goes up by 100%!

I saw a Legends car race on TV with a bunch of old, former drivers running the race. (At the it was "Gentlemen, start your engines"). The starter said "There's not a gentleman in the bunch so ya'll fire 'em up".

Weather could be an issue for All-Star Weekend: As unsettled weather continues ahead of this weekend's events at Charlotte Motor Speedway, officials are taking precautions to make sure everything runs smoothly. So far this week, the Charlotte metro area has received over a half inch of rain. With mainly light and scattered showers expected on Wednesday and Thursday, NASCAR expects to get all practice and qualifying races in without problems. Problems may arise Friday night, as strong storms look to move into the Carolinas. Crews have already made the call for at least eight jet dryers ready to go for Friday night's North Carolina Education Lottery 200, starting at 7:00pm/et.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20160519d

I saw a Legends car race on TV with a bunch of old, former drivers running the race. (At the it was "Gentlemen, start your engines"). The starter said "There's not a gentleman in the bunch so ya'll fire 'em up".
I think it was syndicated radio team John Boy and Billy that said, "Gentlemen, and Jimmy Spencer..."

Back
Top Bottom