2016 Michigan - Pure Michigan 400 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The NASCAR Sprint Cup and Camping World Truck Series will gather for a doubleheader showing at Michigan International Speedway this weekend while the XFINITY Series makes a stop at Road America.

Note: All times are ET
FRIDAY, AUG. 26:

ON TRACK: MICHIGAN
-- Noon-1:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 4-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 5:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 11:30 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

ON TRACK: ROAD AMERICA
-- 10-10:55 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice (Follow live)
-- Noon-1:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice (Follow live)
-- 6:35 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

SATURDAY, AUG. 27:

-- 8:30-9:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, CNBC (Follow live)
-- 9:45 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, CNBC (Follow live)
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Careers for Veterans 200 Presented by Cooper Standard and Brad Keselowski's Checkered Flag Foundation (100 laps, 200 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

ON TRACK: ROAD AMERICA

-- 3 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Road America 180 Fired Up by Johnsonville (45 laps, 182.16 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

SUNDAY, AUG. 28:

-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pure Michigan 400 (200 laps, 400 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

Cqb8Xi7WcAAvJf1.jpg:large

from jayski.....

Michigan track surface receiving extra prep work before race: Michigan International Speedway is doing some extra preparation to its track surface before the return of NASCAR action next weekend. The speedway has been utilizing a "tire dragger" - which is dragged along the surface to help apply extra rubber - since the beginning of the week and plans to continue to use it through Tuesday of next week. The tire machine is being run every day for eight hours a day, officials said. It's the same device used by Kentucky Speedway after its repave and Bristol after it "polished" the lower racing groove. "We elected to do it because we work closely with and listen to NASCAR and the experts who drive the track - the drivers, who say the racing will get that much better when the top groove gets rubbered in and widens out," said Sammie Lukaskiewicz, the speedway's vice president of marketing and communications. "It's fast here, as you know. So having a wider groove will allow cars to pass each other and allow three-, four- and five-wide passing."

from jayski.....

Michigan track surface receiving extra prep work before race: Michigan International Speedway is doing some extra preparation to its track surface before the return of NASCAR action next weekend. The speedway has been utilizing a "tire dragger" - which is dragged along the surface to help apply extra rubber - since the beginning of the week and plans to continue to use it through Tuesday of next week. The tire machine is being run every day for eight hours a day, officials said. It's the same device used by Kentucky Speedway after its repave and Bristol after it "polished" the lower racing groove. "We elected to do it because we work closely with and listen to NASCAR and the experts who drive the track - the drivers, who say the racing will get that much better when the top groove gets rubbered in and widens out," said Sammie Lukaskiewicz, the speedway's vice president of marketing and communications. "It's fast here, as you know. So having a wider groove will allow cars to pass each other and allow three-, four- and five-wide passing."

Fascinating.....

Hoping to make my first Michigan race this weekend, weather finally looks more promising, but I'll still wait until Thursday or Friday to pull the trigger (can't stay Monday so need to ensure no rain before committing).

Once it was announced that Jeff Gordon won't be racing at MIS I officially ruled out attending this weekend. This will be the first time since 2001 that I'll not be attending a Cup race (or any other NASCAR event). And I am good with that. The sport is much more enjoyable as more casual fan than when I was an ardent fan. I had a good run and I'll always love watching racing and appreciate the great memories I've had with my son. Now we're on to other things and it feels great.

Michigan II Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Matt Kenseth (Ford)
2007 - Kurt Busch (Dodge)
2008 - Carl Edwards (Ford)
2009 - Brian Vickers (Toyota)
2010 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
2011 - Kyle Busch (Toyota)
2012 - Greg Biffle (Ford)
2013 - Joey Logano (Ford)
2014 - Jeff Gordon (Chevrolet)
2015 - Matt Kenseth (Toyota)

Hoping to make my first Michigan race this weekend, weather finally looks more promising, but I'll still wait until Thursday or Friday to pull the trigger (can't stay Monday so need to ensure no rain before committing).

We're in the same spot! I'm looking to make my first trip since 2004! Once it looks like they'll get it in I'm going to will call my ticket. My plan is to stay in North Toledo Saturday then drive up Sunday morning.

Michigan is an awesome track imo! Just big wide, smooth and fast. The sightlines are fantastic too!

Whenever I think of the August Michigan race this is what comes too mind. The finish never would have happened in today's NASCAR. The 71 would have brought out a caution...

Last edited:
from jayski.....

Just another guarantee of rain. :rolleyes:

Going to be an interesting weekend. If memory serves, we are at 0 toe in the rear in addition to the reduced spoiler and fan restrictions that have been there. Toyota was not particularly strong with this package Michigan I. Wondering how much they will put into II with the Chase looming.

Here is a picture I took 27 years ago at MIS of the one and only Skoal Bandit Harry Gant. We used to have a great time going to MIS and camping in the infield and watching the race atop a motorhome. I have lost track of all the racers I have seen at MIS but there were some good ones including Tim Richmond, David Pearson, Dale Earnhardt, Geoff Bodine, Ricky Rudd, Neil Bonnet, Buddy Baker, Bill Elliott, DW, Terry Labonte, Rusty Wallace, Cale Yarborough, Mark Martin and Benny Parsons. I really liked those men as they were all tough as nails, did their jobs well, didn't moan about everything they didn't like, didn't throw their team under the bus or blame others for any shortcomings. I am getting misty eyed.

Skoal Bandit Olds at MIS.jpg

Note: All times are ET

FRIDAY, AUG. 26:

-- Noon-1:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1:30-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 4-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 5:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 11:30 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- 1 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 11:30 a.m.: Tyler Reddick
-- 11:45 a.m.: Cameron Hayley
-- 2 p.m.: Austin Dillon
-- 2:15 p.m.: Greg Biffle
-- 3:45 p.m.: Alex Bowman
-- 6:30 p.m. approx.: Post-NSCS Coors Light Pole Qualifying

Michigan gives final sneak peek at proposed '17 aero package

The prospective 2017 aerodynamic rules package for NASCAR's premier series will receive what likely will be its final dress rehearsal this weekend at Michigan International Speedway.

NASCAR officials announced the move July 28, one month ahead of Sunday's Pure Michigan 400 (2 p.m. ET, NBCSN, MRN, SiriusXM). The 400-mile race is expected to be the last step before NASCAR's competition department delivers final, formal aero rules to teams as preparations for next season begin.

The rules at the 2-mile track this weekend will be a repeat of what the series competed with earlier this year in a 400-mile event won by Joey Logano. The rules are designed to reduce the over-stabilizing effects of downforce and sideforce with smaller spoilers, fewer cooling fans, and a neutral body alignment that eliminates rear axle offset, or "skew."

Read the rest here (Includes video of changes).

Here is a picture I took 27 years ago at MIS of the one and only Skoal Bandit Harry Gant. We used to have a great time going to MIS and camping in the infield and watching the race atop a motorhome. I have lost track of all the racers I have seen at MIS but there were some good ones including Tim Richmond, David Pearson, Dale Earnhardt, Geoff Bodine, Ricky Rudd, Neil Bonnet, Buddy Baker, Bill Elliott, DW, Terry Labonte, Rusty Wallace, Cale Yarborough, Mark Martin and Benny Parsons. I really liked those men as they were all tough as nails, did their jobs well, didn't moan about everything they didn't like, didn't throw their team under the bus or blame others for any shortcomings. I am getting misty eyed.

View attachment 20617

Michigan is a great track with a lot of history. My father was a huge Elliott fan. Awesome Bill went on a streak at Michigan in the 80's. MIS has also seen its fair share of terrible wrecks. Irvan and Fittipaldi immediately come to mind....

Speaking of Harry, it's been nearly 25 years since the start of his "Mr. September" run! I was in attendance for his Dover win.

@dustinlong

Sprint Cup cars nearing light speed with smaller spoiler entering Turn 1 ... well actually have hit 215 mph entering Turn 1

what happens if they wreck going into turn 1.....at 215 mph that will no be pretty

what happens if they wreck going into turn 1.....at 215 mph that will no be pretty

22 years since Irvan's accident down there. They were probably entering the corner at 192ish back then without safer barriers and archaic safety features in the car.

I'm sitting at the entrance of turn 1 on Sunday. I can't wait to see the speed....

I thought maybe we were near record speed...but I checked and Gordon turned at 206MPH lap back in 2014. Perhaps qualifying will pick them up some, but not 6 MPH.

Back
Top Bottom