2016 Michigan - Pure Michigan 400 - Pre Race Thread

Fans want close racing and not 215 into the corner, which is why the 1994 race was sold out going 190 into the corner and this year's race will not be sold out.

Best I can tell from looking at the attendance figures for this track..... The place pretty much sold out up through 2004. After that..... Not so much. I wonder what happened in 2004 that might start turning people away from the track and many others for that matter? I can't quite put my finger on it. Was it because of the increase in speed? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking that it may have and continues to be something else. But then again, maybe that's just me.

Best I can tell from looking at the attendance figures for this track..... The place pretty much sold out up through 2004. After that..... Not so much. I wonder what happened in 2004 that might start turning people away from the track and many others for that matter? I can't quite put my finger on it. Was it because of the increase in speed? I'm thinking no. I'm thinking that it may have and continues to be something else. But then again, maybe that's just me.
Kenseth's championship? :p

It seems to have happened at every other racetrack.

All 4 HMS drivers in top 12 on an aero-push track.

Maybe they found something with this short spoiler

My god Larson lol. All he had to do was not overdrive the car and he has the pole, and of course he does the patented Larson thing and nearly wrecks, qualifying 12th.

Bowman starts sixth.

Get this man a full-time ride somewhere, he's been very impressive in the 88.

Good effort by the 10 team. they are ahead of a lot of good drivers.

DP has done well at MIS normally finishing on the lead lap with a couple of finishes inside the top 20 so there is reason for optimism.

He had a full time ride in the Cup series in 2014 and 15

With BK Racing? That team was an absolute cluster bomb at the time. It wasn't until I saw him running for JWT's team and performing solidly there with a decent car. He was very impressive for me, with a real front runner he could be very good long-term

I would rather see him go somewhere like JRM in Xfinity to prep for a future HMS seat.

With BK Racing? That team was an absolute cluster bomb at the time. It wasn't until I saw him running for JWT's team and performing solidly there with a decent car. He was very impressive for me, with a real front runner he could be very good long-term

I would rather see him go somewhere like JRM in Xfinity to prep for a future HMS seat.
I was going to add that, yes, he wasnt driving for a good team

Bowman starts sixth.

Get this man a full-time ride somewhere, he's been very impressive in the 88.

He should've been driving the 88 the past several weeks. Running Gordon the last month has accomplished very little for HMS other than fan service. Bowman deserves the chance to prove he's for real.

Kez said in an interview with Claire B. Lang that Ford's aero numbers were way inferior to the competition (didn't know they had tested that), and that this contributes to their success on with this package. bull**** or no? Never heard a driver cite a reason for speed like that.

My god Larson lol. All he had to do was not overdrive the car and he has the pole, and of course he does the patented Larson thing and nearly wrecks, qualifying 12th.

Lol that pissed me off.

Don't matter though. He'll be top 5 and challenging for the lead by lap 50. Hopefully he can stay there. He's painfully overdue.

Lol that pissed me off.

Don't matter though. He'll be top 5 and challenging for the lead by lap 50. Hopefully he can stay there. He's painfully overdue.

He owes his team one, they've been giving him some great cars since Kansas. I have no doubt he'll be up front. But I do have huge doubts of his ability to not make big mistakes in crucial moments.

Last edited:
He had a full time ride in the Cup series in 2014 and 15
I don't know if Bowman is not very good or potentially is very good, but I do know both BK Racing and Tommy Baldwin declined to bring him back for a second year. Baldwin seemed ready to keep him on, but when the charter system got approved, thus improving his team's finances, Baldwin elected to pay significantly more for Regan Smith. IMO being valued lower than Regan Smith is not a great endorsement.

OTOH, Bowman did a good job at Loudon and hopefully will again at Michigan. This is a fortunate opportunity for him. But I don't see how people can say Bowman "deserves" the 88 ride.

Can we PLEEEEAAAASSSE axe this qualifying format already
I've heard various people say that, but I have not heard a cogent reason why. What is it you dislike about the current qualifying format?

I like the knock-out format because it is more interesting to watch, even exciting at times, and is much more fair to all. Used to be that the number you draw will often give a big advantage or disadvantage. That no longer applies.

I don't know if Bowman is not very good or potentially is very good, but I do know both BK Racing and Tommy Baldwin declined to bring him back for a second year. Baldwin seemed ready to keep him on, but when the charter system got approved, thus improving his team's finances, Baldwin elected to pay significantly more for Regan Smith. IMO being valued lower than Regan Smith is not a great endorsement.

OTOH, Bowman did a good job at Loudon and hopefully will again at Michigan. This is a fortunate opportunity for him. But I don't see how people can say Bowman "deserves" the 88 ride.
I am inclined to agree , that at this point, no way does he deserve the 88 ride, not by a long shot, so far in 2016, he has started 5 Xfinity races and counting Sunday, 2 Cup races, so I dont understand why some think that he deserves a top of the line ride in the Cup Series, what has he done to show that he does?. Not knocking him, and I hope he has a strong finish on Sunday, he has a chance to show the owners what ever talent he may have, lets hope he makes the best of it.

He owes his team one, they've been giving him some great cars since Kansas. I have no doubt he'll be up front. But I do have huge doubts of his ability to not make big mistakes in crucial moments.

It's not all driver. Dude can't catch a break lately.

He does race for JRM in Xfinity part time.

Back
Top Bottom