Been seeing some great races; getting concerned about the 2015 changes

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I really like the racing that I've been watching this season to date. Sure, there have been a few that stunk but for the most part the racing has been pretty good. I don't know how forward I am to seeing the changes for next year. Goodyear is currently running a tire test @ Fontana under next years rules package with a select few teams. Starting immediately after Homestead there will be no testing allowed other than these Goodyear tests. Could be a tough year ahead?

I'm scared to see every track race like a plate track.

I'm hoping the plate rule is to buy some time while the manufacturers submit designs for smaller engines. If they go OHC, as they should, 3.0 would be enough for speeds of 190 mph. Using the same block but different crank and piston rods could easily take them down to 2.5 liters for 'plate' tracks.

All in all, I've been hoping for the past few years nascar would get back to more tire grip and less aero, even if it means slower cars. If they go that route, all this 'don't touch my car' crap will fade away, and passing will be the norm. Hell, nascar should even spec out a super soft 20 lap tire for late race strategy. Then we'll see some passing for the win.

I like Fender's idea of two different tires. Makes for great strategy in IndyCar, especially if there's a late race caution.

Tire wear has been a part of the racing this season and it's been much needed.

I understand that there is clear distinction between passing and racing. But on some of these cookie cutter tracks, which fill the majority of the schedule, cars should be easier to pass and clean air shouldn't give the leader so much of an advantage. That aero bubble is annoying. Sick of hearing "oh man its just so hard to pass here and once the leader was in clean air he was untouchable".

I like the idea of 2 diff tires too. Tire wear should be a factor but not tire blow outs across the board.

One of these is is a racecar:

W244865DUJGU-2.jpg
NVcover.jpg

The other is NASCAR Gen-6.

I'm scared to see every track race like a plate track. Also scared to see momentum racing in nascar.

Dont be frightened, the only tracks that will race like plate tracks will be the plate tracks, none of the proposed changes are going to have that huge of an effect, its not like they are dropping down to 300 horsepower or something. The cars will still have more power than nationwide or trucks do and they race just as good or better IMO

I'm hoping the plate rule is to buy some time while the manufacturers submit designs for smaller engines. If they go OHC, as they should, 3.0 would be enough for speeds of 190 mph. Using the same block but different crank and piston rods could easily take them down to 2.5 liters for 'plate' tracks.

All in all, I've been hoping for the past few years nascar would get back to more tire grip and less aero, even if it means slower cars. If they go that route, all this 'don't touch my car' crap will fade away, and passing will be the norm. Hell, nascar should even spec out a super soft 20 lap tire for late race strategy. Then we'll see some passing for the win.

Using tires with different compounds is not a bad thing but it sure makes it harder to stay on top of whats going on in a race, at least when they are all on the same tire we only have to try and remember how many laps are on each cars tires and whether they took 2 or 4, throw in another compound and you got confusion IMO

I'm worried that Goodyear's going to go back to bringing rock tires to appease the drivers which would be a shame.

Like I've been saying for a year, softer tires are impossible with these weights and speeds. nascar said the car changes are being done in conjunction with Goodyear so they can bring softer, racier tires each week. There's a whole science to speed, downforce, tire wall thickness and heat dissipation, which all factor in how soft the tire compound can be. I do expect nascar to enforce minimum tire pressures with an indicator valve or something else.

Using tires with different compounds is not a bad thing but it sure makes it harder to stay on top of whats going on in a race, at least when they are all on the same tire we only have to try and remember how many laps are on each cars tires and whether they took 2 or 4, throw in another compound and you got confusion IMO

I would make the rule state optional softer tires are only allowed after lap X. It's more fun when the strategy comes into play at the end of the race. You don't have to use them, but they are there if you want to. 1 compound softer tires and the teams can carry them from track to track if they don't use them.

I would make the rule state optional softer tires are only allowed after lap X. It's more fun when the strategy comes into play at the end of the race. You don't have to use them, but they are there if you want to. 1 compound softer tires and the teams can carry them from track to track if they don't use them.

So in other words you are suggesting that Nascar should throw late race cautions so they can change tires :p

nothing to be concerned about. There will be 43 cars on the track, love em or hate em, and Goodyear is going to make a tire that teams can't screw up unless they run em flat. Yep it isn't going to be the raciest setup, but they will sell a ton of em regardless.

So in other words you are suggesting that Nascar should throw late race cautions so they can change tires :p
:rolleyes:

nothing to be concerned about. There will be 43 cars on the track, love em or hate em, and Goodyear is going to make a tire that teams can't screw up unless they run em flat. Yep it isn't going to be the raciest setup, but they will sell a ton of em regardless.

So your theory is nascar is making all these car changes to get that???

Clearly, Brian needs to simplify things even more for some fans. :D

But we all know how tough it was when Jr went to double digits, you can see my point I hope..two different tire? I just don't know about all that.
8-tattooed-head-240.jpg

I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what to expect and I hope they don't ruin a good thing with changing what they have for this year... but really the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not Team Penske figures it out quickly lol

if they ruin Martinsville or the road courses....:mad:

I'm scared to see every track race like a plate track. Also scared to see momentum racing in nascar.
If that happens I will seriously stop watching NASCAR. The 4 plate races are my least favorite races of the year because they require more luck than skill.

If that happens I will seriously stop watching NASCAR. The 4 plate races are my least favorite races of the year because they require more luck than skill.

Not to worry, Nascar will find more debris and they will have so many restart scrums and GWC's most people won't know the difference.:D I really don't think that will happen, doesn't matter what they come up with, the competition is so close anymore, some drivers might do a little better with the changes, some a little worse.

Oh gods, if they ruin short track racing, then I wouldn't even know what I'd do.
They ruined it at rockingham..track wasn't safe enough for them. Like they have all their tracks paved end to end with safer barriers.o_O then turned around and bought Iowa.

I have my fingers crossed that the changes will allow good racing. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.
I don't like the "no testing" rule, though.

I think less downforce is the key and so do the drivers. heck I think many of us posters here have said that for years. The problem is with less downforce the drag on the cars was so little that they corner entry speeds were so insanely high there was no way to go down that road but to trim some HP. the other key is tires that wear out. tire wear and fall off is key to passing because you have comers and goers during the course of a run. less speed I think will help goodyear make a tire that can wear out more. There is alot more to the rules package that IMO will ultimately mean less cost in the long run. they are now allowing roller cams, that alone is a big deal right there. It should mean teams can get at least 2 races out of a motor if they want. infact they shouldn't be that much more expensive than a nationwide engine ultimately.

another X factor is the driver adjustable track bar that could make a difference, adjust it one way to run in traffic, adjust another to be out front. I like rules changes. if it doesn't work out they can always change it back. The problem is currently a car capable of leading the race if you pick it up and put it in 17th place depending on the track they could just be stuck there. that needs to change.

Back
Top Bottom