Bring Back The Tandem

Roman Nodonyet

Horrifically Scarred Crew Chief
The absurdity of single-file racing at the restrictor plate superspeedways has gone on long enough. And as far as I can see, the tandem is the only thing that will ensure constant side-by-side racing. The time has come for NASCAR to drop this most senseless of rules and once again allow the heightened competition that made the 2011 plate races so spectacular.

Constant side by side racing is not necessary. Lots of racing going on here.

Constant side by side racing is not necessary. Lots of racing going on here.

I saw a ton of single file early in the race. I see it recurrently at nearly every plate track. I see the prelude (one line dominating the other) forming right now. I fail to understand why so many agree w/ the tandem ban.

I saw a ton of single file early in the race. I see it recurrently at nearly every plate track. I see the prelude (one line dominating the other) forming right now. I fail to understand why so many agree w/ the tandem ban.
Because it works well on the tennis court.

Doubles. Venus and Serena.

It worked well on the track too, in 2011. And I'm having a really hard time finding anyone on Twitter who disagrees w/ that.

Even if you don't bring back the tandem, at least bring back the massive spoilers, gigantic grille openings and hyper-efficient radiators so that the cars can drive straight and avoid constant overheating.

Tandem was the most boring crap I had ever seen........ thank God it's gone.... For good I hope.......
nascarfront_t670.jpg

How was THAT boring? That was one of the most epic finishes I've ever seen. And it was all thanks to the tandem.

Tandem was the most boring crap I had ever seen........ thank God it's gone.... For good I hope.......
I was terrible in the 3-legged race at Sports Day in grade 6.

So I have to admit bias.

The absurdity of single-file racing at the restrictor plate superspeedways has gone on long enough. And as far as I can see, the tandem is the only thing that will ensure constant side-by-side racing. The time has come for NASCAR to drop this most senseless of rules and once again allow the heightened competition that made the 2011 plate races so spectacular.

If you mean that thing where it looked like dragonflies mating please put me down for a big fat NO! It isn't really racing at plate tracks anyway more than it is riding and hoping to avoid the big one(s) until it is time to go with a few laps left.

If you mean that thing where it looked like dragonflies mating please put me down for a big fat NO! It isn't really racing at plate tracks anyway more than it is riding and hoping to avoid the big one(s) until it is time to go with a few laps left.

One way or another SOMETHING has to change so that the plate races are less boring. This is supposed to be NASCAR's biggest spectacle and it's been flatter than day old soda so far.

So how is more lead changes and constant action better then single file for 95 laps then 10 laps followed by race ending under caution. Don't say safety Dillon nearly killed the crowd at Daytona. Can't wait for this response

tamdam was a pouintless radiator expolding waste of time and the $75 ticket price

Nope, going to pass on the tandems , well,at least for the entire race.

tamdam was a pouintless radiator expolding waste of time and the $75 ticket price

The radiators only explode because NASCAR forced the teams to use a smaller opening after they decided they didn't like it. I never heard one complaint in 2011. I don't understand why people suddenly hate the thing that was causing so many side by side finishes.

One way or another SOMETHING has to change so that the plate races are less boring. This is supposed to be NASCAR's biggest spectacle and it's been flatter than day old soda so far.

I am planning on watching the race tomorrow but plate racing is definitely the worst kind of event for me but I respect those that enjoy it. I don't know what the answer is to make it less boring but there is something wrong when it takes over a lap to get up to speed.

If the cars handle to good at the the plate races, cut the spoiler down to where they are sliding through the corners. It seems like when the cars are all loose the better the race.

I might be in the minority...... but I love plate racing and pack racing.... always have..... Those are the 4 races in the year that I try to watch...... I would like it better without the plates.. but... that ain't gonna happen..... Just like I would prefer racing back to the flag
Pack plate racing hands down over that tandem crap any day, the tandem did make for more "exciting" finishes.

I started watching NASCAR because of the Tandem drafting. I found the multiple radio buttons to talk with other drivers and the hooking up with team mates or whoever was behind you very interesting and entertaining. Wish they'd just let the boys race and not legislate rules or how they do it.

Tandem was an interesting element but apparently NSCAR did not like it.
Changes to the aero package were mandated + a lower water pressure valve was required.
Bump don't push, 62 & 98 flagged for it yesterday.

The tandem was awful. Good riddance.

This current plate package needs work. If they could bring back the type of racing we saw from 2001-08 I think we'd see a vast improvement. Right now it's too hard to pass and everyone just runs single file by the wall.

That said, go JR!

Restricter plates are a flawed concept. Stock cars were never meant to be driven with the gas pedal on the floor for the entire lap.

Restricter plates are a flawed concept. Stock cars were never meant to be driven with the gas pedal on the floor for the entire lap.

I whole heartedly agree!!!

I'm sure greater motorheads than myself have worked on this but why not build smaller cu in motors (non restricted) for the big tracks. By limiting cubes and say compression wouldn't there be a drastic reduction in HP without those @#$% restrictor plates???

I whole heartedly agree!!!

I'm sure greater motorheads than myself have worked on this but why not build smaller cu in motors (non restricted) for the big tracks. By limiting cubes and say compression wouldn't there be a drastic reduction in HP without those @#$% restrictor plates???

The drivers can still keep that pedal to the floor for 500 miles. :(

Back
Top Bottom