Cup Championship RACE thread

Those sports guess what? You don’t play everyone every week. stop comparing racing to other sports man. You don’t have 32 teams on football fields, or 30 teams on the Diamond or court. Those sports need playoffs. Racing doesn’t.

Every sport has its quirks. It’s pretty brain dead to constantly pull out “hurr durr stick and ball.” Everyone knows the criteria and what needs to be done to perform. Ryan Blaney won under that format. Every sport has unique obstacles, racing isn’t some special snowflake.

Major League Baseball didn’t have playoffs for the first 60 years of the World Series. Baseball fans aren’t still bitching about its existence and 99% of them accept the Texas Rangers as legitimate champions despite them not being the best team in the regular season.

Every sport has its quirks. It’s pretty brain dead to constantly pull out “hurr durr stick and ball.” Everyone knows the criteria and what needs to be done to perform. Ryan Blaney won under that format. Every sport has unique obstacles, racing isn’t some special snowflake.

Major League Baseball didn’t have playoffs for the first 60 years of the World Series. Baseball fans aren’t still bitching about its existence and 99% of them accept the Texas Rangers as legitimate champions despite them not being the best team in the regular season.
I mean I’m not personally bitching Ryan won, and I agree he won with the same rules everyone else did. I still think the playoffs are ****** dumb. It’s possible for both to be true.

But this format rewards raw speed. Not consistency.

I made this point before too. Race craft matters in so far as collecting playoff points, but this format is also incredibly forgiving of mistakes if you can win.

This format isn’t my ideal way to crown a champion and I prefer the full season format. However, I have always thought that the tendency of NASCAR fans to question the legitimacy of a championship just because they don’t like the format to be incredibly immature. It clearly means a lot to the drivers.

Remember Tony Stewart's incredible championship -- he barely made the playoffs, then won 5 of the 10 races.
It all depends on when you get hot.
Or who it is.

To this day, I've never heard anyone bitch about that season, or say Tony wasn't deserving.

Tony deserved that. And I'm a heartbroken Carl Edwards fan who punched a wall at the end of that race

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I made this point before too. Race craft matters in so far as collecting playoff points, but this format is also incredibly forgiving of mistakes if you can win.

This format isn’t my ideal way to crown a champion and I prefer the full season format. However, I have always thought that the tendency of NASCAR fans to question the legitimacy of a championship just because they don’t like the format to be incredibly immature. It clearly means a lot to the drivers.
Then see we agree?

The only champ I ever said was not deserving was Kyle in 2015, and no one will change my mind on that. I definitely didn’t say Ryan wasn’t, hell he was the one who I wanted the most of the 4. I just honestly hate the playoffs and want a full season championship. But I ain’t gonna say someone isn’t deserving.

This is my exact opinion.

I prefer the Chase, and a full season format to this as well. But the fact is, both of those aren't real. They are not relevant. The format is what it is, and I personally make predictions and give opinions based on the format we have.

You can go to autoracinganalytics.com, motorsportsanalytics, and find all of the speed related data.

And every. Single. Year. The champion is either the fastest driver of the entire season, or the fastest of the playoffs. Every year. Fastest car in the most important race gets it done. It's nothing new.

Consistency, execution and opportunistic results are never, and have never been an indicator of champions/championship favorites in this format. It's also why I constantly fought the "Byron is the favorite" narrative.

Full season format, he would have deserved it. And he absolutely had a championship caliber chase run based on results, but it just doesn't matter in this format.

Then see we agree?

The only champ I ever said was not deserving was Kyle in 2015, and no one will change my mind on that. I definitely didn’t say Ryan wasn’t, hell he was the one who I wanted the most of the 4. I just honestly hate the playoffs and want a full season championship. But I ain’t gonna say someone isn’t deserving.

I think our big point of disagreement is whether a playoff is compatible with motorsports. I think it is and I don't even think this format is that far off from being workable. I would get rid of "win and you're in" and just take the top 12 in points. I like the idea of playoff points that carry over from round to round but I don't like the idea of being able to win your way into the next round after ****ting the bed in the previous two races.

It's like NASCAR saw that winning wasn't well rewarded under the Latford system and ran in the opposite direction. Giving playoff points for winning is enough to make winning mean something, you don't need to use winning as a free pass to get into and advance through the playoffs.

Then see we agree?

Every other driver had an 11 race advantage over Kyle in '15, and he still got it done... And 6 Xfinty wins, and 2 Truck wins. Pretty good for an 11 week absence...

Also, 3 weeks ago, Blaney was a +1600 to win the title which was a hilarious no brainer. I don't gamble but that seemed like magic.

Spent hours trying to troubleshoot my draft kings account which wanted to make a second account, and then it kept bouncing me. Gave up. :(

To be fair, that happened a few times pre-Chase/Playoffs too. In 1985 a 3-win DW beat an 11-win Bill Elliott for the championship, and in 1996 a 2-win Terry Labonte won the title over a 10-win Jeff Gordon.

1993 and 2003 also say hello. It happened fairly often in the full season format. I'm not even sure what his point is here.

I think our big point of disagreement is whether a playoff is compatible with motorsports. I think it is and I don't even think this format is that far off from being workable. I would get rid of "win and you're in" and just take the top 12 in points. I like the idea of playoff points that carry over from round to round but I don't like the idea of being able to win your way into the next round after ****ting the bed in the previous two races.

It's like NASCAR saw that winning wasn't well rewarded under the Latford system and ran in the opposite direction. Giving playoff points for winning is enough to make winning mean something, you don't need to use winning as a free pass to get into and advance through the playoffs.
My only thing is that it’s not really needed, like I mentioned before, playoffs are something needed to determine the best of the best, because you don’t compete against everyone every week in those. Heck the person you play for the championship in the NFL, might be someone you didn’t even play at all during the season. If you did, it’s going to be someone you only played once. With racing, you’re not going to go into the final race, racing against someone for a championship you didn’t race during the season. That’s what I mean by it not being necessary needed.

Now I might be fine if it was the top 12 in points, because then at least no one can luck their way into things, I still would not like it over a full season of work.

Every other driver had an 11 race advantage over Kyle in '15, and he still got it done... And 6 Xfinty wins, and 2 Truck wins. Pretty good for an 11 week absence...
I don’t think he should have got the waiver tbh. That’s the problem with the win and you’re in also. If not for that rule, he doesn’t make it. If he could’ve pointed his way to the top 16, then by all means I’d sing a different tune. I know that you won’t agree, and that’s fine. We don’t have to.

I don’t think he should have got the waiver tbh. That’s the problem with the win and you’re in also. If not for that rule, he doesn’t make it. If he could’ve pointed his way to the top 16, then by all means I’d sing a different tune. I know that you won’t agree, and that’s fine. We don’t have to.
He had 5 Cup wins in '15 with an 11 week absence. Imagine the extra wins if he DIDN'T miss 11 races.

Sad face. Thanks for everything Kevin

I was stuck at my nephew’s birthday party and only caught the last 30 laps so it hasn’t completely sunk in yet. I have to go back and rewatch the segments where he was competitive and leading laps. That must’ve been a blast to be out front one final time.

I have had always Gordon or Harvick to root for since I got into the sport as a kid in 2001, so this is the end of my childhood fandom for good. Kinda sad to see all the old guys moving on. But he had a great career and I’m glad I was there at Homestead in 2014.

I was stuck at my nephew’s birthday party and only caught the last 30 laps so it hasn’t completely sunk in yet. I have to go back and rewatch the segments where he was competitive and leading laps. That must’ve been a blast to be out front one final time.

I have had always Gordon or Harvick to root for since I got into the sport as a kid in 2001, so this is the end of my childhood fandom for good. Kinda sad to see all the old guys moving on. But he had a great career and I’m glad I was there at Homestead in 2014.
You will live. You will find others to root for. In Harvick's case, he is going to do one hell of a job in the booth, he has a knack for it.

Yea same. I was a very vocal Gordon fan, he was and still is my hero. But I always cheered too for Jr and Harvick, I have a few hats and shirts of Kevin in the 29 and 4, he was the last one left from when I was a kid but it’s going to be really weird next year seeing him in the booth. I was beyond ecstatic to see him win his Cup in 2014 and frankly it was rad seeing him to do well in his late career stage in the 4. I actually very much enjoyed his 06 season when he went toe to toe with JJ that year during the season and in The Chase, that was fun.

So, the race today was called "NASCAR Cup Series Championship"

Ross Chastain won the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series Championship.

Ryan Blaney is the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series champion.

Chase has some Matt Dillon-esque There’s Something About Mary chompers

So, the race today was called "NASCAR Cup Series Championship"

Ross Chastain won the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series Championship.

Ryan Blaney is the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series champion.

It's just one of the many things that makes auto racing just like stick n ball. :cuckoo:

Back
Top Bottom