Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Could be the same guy for the next plate thing as the guy for the next road thing, TBA.

I'll be shocked if Jr doesn't retire soon. Maybe a 2017 Daytona 500 farewell race?

Jayski.com is reporting:

"UPDATE: Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the #88 Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports, has not been cleared by physicians to compete in at least the next two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events as he continues to recover from a concussion."

I think he comes back in time for a handful of races at the end of the season and announces homestead is it.

I really don't get it. People seem to want it to be true almost.

I've read nothing from him that hints at being done.
He hasn't mentioned that he wants to be done, but he has mentioned that it will be up to the doctors. With concussions being prevalent in sports these days and the media attention assigned to it, doctors will more than likely err on the side of caution as to not allow a tragedy to happen because they cleared an athlete...the last thing a doctor wants is to receive blame for a lifelong injury/death due to their medical clearance of an athlete.

With that said, a part of me does want Jr to retire. I would love to see him be a full-time spokesperson for the sport instead of being a driver 95% of the time and a spokesperson the other 5%. This sport may be better off without him behind the wheel, as crazy at that sounds.

I think people want him to be safe and not need a 24/7 bib.
Concussions aren't to be taken lightly. I've had six major concussions, one came with a C3 compression fracture. The one with the neck injury wiped out a part of my memory that will never come back.

It's not about wanting him to be done, it's about being a realist. A little birdy from Charlotte told me a week and a half ago that he's worse than he's even letting on. And now here we are knowing he'll be out at least two more races too with this thing still being indefinite.

His other issues that took him out of the car clearly were not as bad, nor were his most recent hits that hard. Missing one week is one thing. He's going to be out at *least* five weeks now. That's a big deal. And your brain isn't like a broken ankle. Doctors may tell him "look, if you get your bell rung one more time you might never be the same". Reminds me of when Dario Franchitti retired after learning one more hit could cripple him. I don't have a crystal ball, but it's plausible that Junior might face a similar decision going by the apparently severity as well as his history and his recent interest in brain health and CTE. Plus he's toward the end of his driving career anyway.

Reactions: Pat
Honest truth.

I think it started after those nasty hits he took at Talledega because even Jr said himself that he was not feeling the best after that one. The car snapped lose and hit nose first into the wall. The accident with Edwards was no better, so he said it was Michigan, but Talledega had to be that "start".

I think Jr has some years left in him and I think he's going to go as long as he can. These next two years will be very important though.

If he were to hang it up this year it would also allow him to make a clean break with an absolutely media frenzy for a whole year. And we all know he doesn't love attention so much, so this is a good, honest excuse/reason to say hey, my career has run its course. Fans couldn't be mad at that.

If I were in Jr.s shoes..... I'd walk away and not take the risk...... It's not worth it......

Yea, I'd be the same way. If I needed my racing fix, well, there's always iRacing.com. :)

I'm sure Jr. Nation knows that Dale Jr. is a big sim racing fan.

Yea, I'd be the same way. If I needed my racing fix, well, there's always iRacing.com. :)

I'm sure Jr. Nation knows that Dale Jr. is a big sim racing fan.
There's SO many ways that Jr. can get his racing fix without having to chance being screwed up for the rest of his life..... He's so young and has so much life left ahead of him if he doesn't screw it up... I am not a Jr. nation fan... but... I have always liked the kid.... He's so much different than his Daddy as far as on the track..... I was never a Sr. fan for 4 hours on Sunday.... but..... I really liked him the rest of the week....... I like Jr. all the time..... I wish him the very best........

BLT's are fine, but I'm not in favor of trying to say what is good for someone else's life. Especially when we have a lack of good info about Dale's wants and desires. And not privy to his medical info. I'll just chill and let Dale and his doctors do their thing.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. ‏@DaleJr 2h2 hours ago
Excited to report I had a great trip to the doctor today for evaluation. Doctors and I both are feeling positive about the progress.
Very cool to read. I saw a couple posts of his yesterday. One had a pic of him in his plane. I figured he was on his way to Pittsburgh, PA. He's been seeing doctors for years about this issue. Seems like he's doing all the right things on his road to recovery. It'd be great to see him back behind the wheel but I'd rather see him be healthy on down the road. He's very personable. I imagine that he wants to do everything to get back behind the wheel to please his fans. This fan would rather see him call it a day knowing that things could end up far worse if he continues.

• Earnhardt Jr. to meet with the media at Watkins Glen:Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the #88 Chevy, is scheduled to meet with the members of the media on Friday, Aug. 5, at 12:00pm/et in the Watkins Glen International media center. Earnhardt Jr. has missed the last three races, suffering from a concussion.(HMS)(8-5-2016)

CpG5m1hWcAABguV.jpg

Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he shouldn't have had a concussion from Michigan and doctors are working to make him stronger to make sure he doesn't have concussions from a crash like that in the future. He intends to race again.

Back
Top Bottom