Does Brian France even care anymore?

Is there any other major sport in America that is run by hereditary rule?

Seems an odd way to run a sport -- what happens if the next generation are all dumbasses? All you can do is put the least retarded one in charge.

Seems an odd way to run a sport -- what happens if the next generation are all dumbasses? All you can do is put the least retarded one in charge.

I don't think there's any other major sport that functions as a privately owned company. That in itself is NASCAR's biggest problem.

According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, about 90 percent of American businesses are family-owned or controlled. Ranging in size from two-person partnerships to Fortune 500 firms, these businesses account for half of the nation's employment and half of her Gross National Product.

According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, about 90 percent of American businesses are family-owned or controlled. Ranging in size from two-person partnerships to Fortune 500 firms, these businesses account for half of the nation's employment and half of her Gross National Product.

Yeah, but aside from NASCAR, none of them are major sports leagues.

That doesn't have much at all to do with my question, though.

9 out of ten American businesses are family owned or controlled:
Wal-Mart, 421 Billion, Mars 30 Bilion, Ford 129 billion.
Sports teams off hand.
Steelers-Rooney Family
Bills-Wilson Family
Bears-McCasky Family
Colts-Irrsay Family
49ers-DeBartlo Family

please explain....

In other sports leagues, there are multiple bureaucracies that work to protect the interests of the actors involved. The owners are of course united as franchisees and the players are united in a union. If the owners are unhappy with the actions of the head of the league, they can vote to remove him.

There is no way to get rid of Brian France. He can do as he wants without being held accountable by the people who are sinking millions into his league.

And StandOnIt, please stop listing teams. NASCAR is a league, comparable to the NFL, NBA, MLB.

Pretty much every other sport is run using some type of franchising model. When it comes to NASCAR, I've often heard the phrase "it's their sandbox, if you wanna play in their sandbox you gotta follow their rules". However, if the powers that be at NASCAR aren't careful, they may wake up one day to find that their sandbox has turned into a litterbox.

In other sports leagues, there are multiple bureaucracies that work to protect the interests of the actors involved. The owners are of course united as franchisees and the players are united in a union. If the owners are unhappy with the actions of the head of the league, they can vote to remove him.

There is no way to get rid of Brian France. He can do as he wants without being held accountable by the people who are sinking millions into his league.

And StandOnIt, please stop listing teams. NASCAR is a league, comparable to the NFL, NBA, MLB.

brian could die tonite.
think nascar would change tomorrow ?
no 1 headed dragon here.

nfl...nba...mlb...teams all own their own stadiums too. diff biz model.
i guess w/ yo model ....20 teams would buy out smi / isc huh ?
oops.....indy ...dover...pocono..... gotta form a race team too !
idiotic blah...blah...blah !

everybody bitchin about new chase.....before we've even run 1 friggin race ??
claim it's like stick-n-ball sports.
now guys on here....wanna use that as a model for nascar change. ??? wtf ! ha!

tha folks / families who built this sport will work it out.....
.......like it or not........tha creators earned them that right !

Pretty much every other sport is run using some type of franchising model. When it comes to NASCAR, I've often heard the phrase "it's their sandbox, if you wanna play in their sandbox you gotta follow their rules". However, if the powers that be at NASCAR aren't careful, they may wake up one day to find that their sandbox has turned into a litterbox.

2x post for emphasis ?

brian could die tonite.
think nascar would change tomorrow ?
no 1 headed dragon here.

nfl...nba...mlb...teams all own their own stadiums too. diff biz model.
i guess w/ yo model ....20 teams would buy out smi / isc huh ?
oops.....indy ...dover...pocono..... gotta form a race team too !
idiotic blah...blah...blah !

everybody bitchin about new chase.....before we've even run 1 friggin race ??
claim it's like stick-n-ball sports.
now guys on here....wanna use that as a model for nascar change. ??? wtf ! ha!

tha folks / families who built this sport will work it out.....
.......like it or not........tha creators earned them that right !

that is what I was trying to explain to naure boy and the other one. Ford has been a family business since around 1900, Wal Mart, Sam Walton passed away 20 years ago. Both of these are bigger than Nascar and they are run by family. Nascar is in it's third generation. What is the question anyway? Somehow Nascar/the france family is supposed to turn it into some kind of stick n ball corporation?, which by the way, is a minority way of doing things, 9 out of 10 businesses are family run. It's like he found a question that thinks he is stumping the band or something. It's a Family business. On another note, you don't like mars candy bars, don't eat them, Ford? don't by one. Nascar don't watch it. but wishing santa would bring ya a Cadillac if you were a good boy hasn't worked so far, so unless your name is France, I don't think you have much of a shot at changing things.

But......but........

Let me explain again here:

NASCAR as a family run organization does not work when OTHER PEOPLE sink millions of dollars into the thing that keeps it running. Wal-Mart invests millions into its own product, they supply the trucks that deliver the goods, they build the stores and they employ the people who sell the goods. The corporations that sell products at Wal-Mart also have the option to sell the exact same product elsewhere in conjunction with selling it at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart however puts all of the labor into moving the product once they have it in their possession. Non-sporting businesses tend to function in this way.

NASCAR on the other hand does not function unless external actors invest a ton of money into building the cars and hiring the people who make the whole thing run. The team build the cars, pay to have them delivered to the track, pay to have them pitted and pay for basically everything dealing with the car. NASCAR's whole product is financed by people who have NO SAY in its governance.

And I agree that sport leagues are the minority of businesses, that's by sheer necessity because you know, you can't have MILLIONS of sports leagues. Sports leagues are modeled as they are because people invest millions of dollars into making them function so they (rightfully) should get a say in its governance.

Also Ford and Wal-Mart are publicly traded companies whose CEO IS accountable to SOMEONE. Law provides shareholders with a number of protections that allow them to oust an incompetent CEO. If NASCAR were like Ford and Wal-Mart, France would've been ousted by now OR a suit would've filed by the shareholders because NASCAR would have surely breached their duty of care to shareholders with its constant bad decision making. The decline in profits and ratings bear that France is incompetent and in ANY major corporation would've been fired LONG ago.

But......but........

NASCAR as a family run organization does not work when OTHER PEOPLE sink millions of dollars into the thing that keeps it running.

hhhmmm.....60 plus yrs nascar hx says ya wrong ! ???

two brothers own UFC
Brian will never go down without a fight, too much money to not care

But......but........

Also Ford and Wal-Mart are publicly traded companies whose CEO IS accountable to SOMEONE. Law provides shareholders with a number of protections that allow them to oust an incompetent CEO. If NASCAR were like Ford and Wal-Mart, France would've been ousted by now OR a suit would've filed by the shareholders because NASCAR would have surely breached their duty of care to shareholders with its constant bad decision making. The decline in profits and ratings bear that France is incompetent and in ANY major corporation would've been fired LONG ago.

nascar has shareholders.
seems they are pleased w/ results.....upper mgt. deal w/ tv. ??
maybe you oughta buy all tha outstandin shares.....an voice yo opinion at next shareholder meeting ? ha!
if not....i'm sure ford / wal mart shares are available .

nascar has shareholders.
seems they are pleased w/ results.....upper mgt. deal w/ tv. ??
maybe you oughta buy all tha outstandin shares.....an voice yo opinion at next shareholder meeting ? ha!
if not....i'm sure ford / wal mart shares are available .

I can't buy ANY shares of NASCAR because it isn't a publicly traded company. There are laws to protect shareholders in publicly traded companies, these protections do not exist in privately held companies.

I feel like I'm teaching basic business law here.

And UFC is different for the reasons stated above. Each fighter isn't "owned" by someone else. NASCAR and other team sporting leagues deal with other people's money.

And I'll also respond to 60 years of racing proving me wrong about NASCAR not working. Brian France's rise to power alone proves the problem with NASCAR's governance structure.

that is what I was trying to explain to nature boy and the other one.
I don't think you are in much of a position to explain much of anything to anybody. You don't seem to know what you're talking about.

I can't buy ANY shares of NASCAR because it isn't a publicly traded company. There are laws to protect shareholders in publicly traded companies, these protections do not exist in privately held companies.

I feel like I'm teaching basic business law here.

And UFC is different for the reasons stated above. Each fighter isn't "owned" by someone else. NASCAR and other team sporting leagues deal with other people's money.

And I'll also respond to 60 years of racing proving me wrong about NASCAR not working. Brian France's rise to power alone proves the problem with NASCAR's governance structure.

you indeed....is teachin everybody.....bout yo knowledge & expertise in biz stuff.
please carry on !

I don't think you are in much of a position to explain much of anything to anybody. You don't seem to know what you're talking about.

hhhmmm...............

Does Brian France even care anymore? Yes. That's why he overhauled the Chase and introduced knockout qualifying - to make the sport more exciting, for the fans.

pre Brian, Nascar was working good, but i think everybody got smarter than the sport all of a sudden.
The Chase did seem to set off the era of NASCAR fans bitching about everything NASCAR did.

Isn't that what we now have??

The Chase did seem to set off the era of NASCAR fans bitching about everything NASCAR did.

NASCAR had its problems before The Chase, but The Chase was also a radical overhaul of determining how to crown a champion. That's a major paradigm shift and there's bound to be major blow back.

Brian France has made bad decision after bad decision. I honestly wish we could get someone new in charge at this point.

Before Brian makes a change, there needs to be a panel of randomly drawn owners & drivers to vote yay or nay.

Brain makes decisions and never thinks of the costs to the teams, after all it's not his money.
Ever consider what the rear wing/spoiler like his hot wheels cars have cost the teams?

Before Brian makes a change, there needs to be a panel of randomly drawn owners & drivers to vote yay or nay.
That's kind of how the NFL works. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has shown some Brian France-like qualities since taking over as commissioner, wanting to change everything for the sake of changing it. Only difference is the team owners can shoot his ideas down if they're not in agreement, whereas when Brian France makes a decision, so it shall be written, so it shall be done.

"Brian France's rise to power alone proves the problem with NASCAR's governance structure"

You have to be a racing fan, if you are going to run a racing sport.

Back
Top Bottom