does carl, resign with roush or go somewhere like penske???

They will always have a great deal to offer him. Roush, like Ford, would do anything to keep Carl unless he suddenly becomes a terrible driver or implodes like Kurt Busch. If one of those two things happen (it won't) he goes to RPM, Front Row, or another Ford team.

The marriage between Ford and Carl is well known to everyone. I would argue that Carl's ties with Ford are as strong, or stronger, than Tony/Junior/Gordon with GM. Would Tony choose to drive for a non-Chevy team? Obviously not, or he wouldn't have left Gibbs and started his own team.

Tony wanted no part of Toyota. Never mentioned them in Victory Lane or ever. I respected that and was glad he went somewhere to be with GM. I will always respect manufacturer loyalty.

people saying roush will just pay anything to keep carl, what if they just don't have the money. Remember even dale jr has had trouble getting a long term deal signed. In that case Rick has refused to discount the sponsorship and continues as far as I know to look for a long term deal to be signed. As marketable as a guy like carl is I still say sponsorship is never in the bag. I did some looking back on the particulars of kenseth's departure from roush. Its never been said exactly what happened the writing is on the wall based on the sponsorship ricky had last year. Kenseth was probably going to make around 7 million with base salary and winnings, if you put stenhouse in the car you could likely get away with paying him half that. That cuts back quite a bit on the money to run that car. If your them it was probably the only way you are able to run the 17 car.

If Roush doesn't have the money, Ford does. I am not sure how it works at Ford, but Toyota is very careful about how money is funneled to salaries. It usually looks like free engines, etc. so money can go places such as salaries. Toyota has been under the microscope since entering because of the paranoia over buying championships, drivers, and talent. Not sure if the same holds true for Ford and Chevy. For all I know, Ford wrote Carl the check to keep him at Roush. A clear signal was sent. Ford wanted Carl. Matt got it, and now we have him at Toyota. Couldn't be happier.

I don't see Penske wanting to change his lineup. Both drivers are doing well.

I see expansion as part of a deal where Penske becomes Ford's golden child. However, that might be difficult because I believe that Penske is going to want to build his own motors and keep his stuff proprietary. Could be interesting.

Penske got a lot of help from the partnership with Roush last year. I don't see any help for Roush from Penske this year. If that is the way Penske does business, Edwards should probably stay away from there. If he did go there, that would be about the time Roush would would have a return to prominence.

I don't know about that. I think Penske took what he needed and kept everything in house. You can be assured that Roush isn't getting lick back this year. That is the way Penske does business, and he is incredibly successful doing it. If you were Carl and committed to Ford--given the way Penske is running v. Roush--where would you go?

If Mark Martin left Roush/Ford then Carl Edwards could certainly do the same. Money talks, and if he gets an opportunity to get in a better ride then he takes it for sure IMO.

I suggested this last year and was dismissed by most, but does anyone envision Penske becoming the new flagship team for Ford? We know Roush has the engine program but in terms of on track performance, sponsorship and young marketable drivers; Penske really has an upper hand going forward.

I think unless Roush picks up their socks in a hurry, that it's only going to be a matter of time until Ford realizes that Penske is going to give them a better chance at a championship. If RCR can fall down the pecking order at Chevy, I see no reason why the same couldn't happen to Roush at Ford.

If Mark Martin left Roush/Ford then Carl Edwards could certainly do the same. Money talks, and if he gets an opportunity to get in a better ride then he takes it for sure IMO.

I suggested this last year and was dismissed by most, but does anyone envision Penske becoming the new flagship team for Ford? We know Roush has the engine program but in terms of on track performance, sponsorship and young marketable drivers; Penske really has an upper hand going forward.

I think unless Roush picks up their socks in a hurry, that it's only going to be a matter of time until Ford realizes that Penske is going to give them a better chance at a championship. If RCR can fall down the pecking order at Chevy, I see no reason why the same couldn't happen to Roush at Ford.

No on Carl leaving. Absolutely yes on Ford jumping in bed with Roger. Roger did the whole deal with Dodge, and when he went to get a little more Ralph gave him the finger. I believe that Roger was willing to take it in the shorts for a year or two before he went looking for at least 1/2 of what Dodge refused to give him. He would come out ahead. The drawback would be that Penske couldn't keep everything proprietary as he would want. Continue to dominate, win a championship or two, and Ford just might be willing to play Roger's way. Good-bye Jack. Unfortunate--I like Jack, and think he is good for the sport.

Yes, especially once they bring up Ryan Blaney and expand to a three-car operation.

No on Carl leaving. Absolutely yes on Ford jumping in bed with Roger. Roger did the whole deal with Dodge, and when he went to get a little more Ralph gave him the finger. I believe that Roger was willing to take it in the shorts for a year or two before he went looking for at least 1/2 of what Dodge refused to give him. He would come out ahead. The drawback would be that Penske couldn't keep everything proprietary as he would want. Continue to dominate, win a championship or two, and Ford just might be willing to play Roger's way. Good-bye Jack. Unfortunate--I like Jack, and think he is good for the sport.

It was my understanding that Roger only went looking after Dodge made it clear they wouldn't be committing to more than a 3 year deal. I could be wrong but that's what I thought went down.

Now on a side note, didn't Roush/Yates absorb some of Penske's best engine guys? Does Penske still have the shop and equipment to build engines again or has that all been sold? I guess I'm wondering the logistics of how they could get to building their own engines again. If it were to happen it could be a very messy breakup with Ford right in the middle of the two.

Yep. You beat me to it. I never thought I'd see the day that Mark Martin wasn't driving that #6 Ford. Heck, Matt Kenseth is driving the car that used to be driven by the guy who tried to kill him back in the '06 Daytona 500, and that car is now a Toyota. Stranger things have definitely happened.

Yes, especially once they bring up Ryan Blaney and expand to a three-car operation.

That would be a nice lineup. How do you think Blaney will do compared to some of the other young guns like Larson, Dillon, Elliot etc?

That would be a nice lineup. How do you think Blaney will do compared to some of the other young guns like Larson, Dillon, Elliot etc?
I don't think he'll have the career Larson and Elliott will, but that's no slight considering how great those guys will probably end up running in Cup. I think he'll do better than Austin and about as well as or a little better than Ty (IMO Ty is a better wheelman than Austin). He's only had one full season in one of the national series but already has wins in both Truck and Nationwide. I'm looking forward to his Cup debut next month at Kansas.

yeah what ever happened to penske's engine shop?? I think penske saw the writing on the wall with dodge they were the only team essentially with dodge at the time, dodge's commitment was certainly in question. They also waited to reup with penske. The other story little told is how RPM flurted with a dodge move rather than signing right back up with ford. So penske comes in RPM is unsigned I can't help but think alot of their money went to penske. At the end of the season RPM was left in a very poor negotiating spot and had to settle for fords table scraps. roush has went from running 5 cars with full sponsorship to 2.5 fully funded cars. The writing is on the wall. If I am carl I move to penske even if the pay is a little less. Heck if I am carl if MWR shows they have locked down multiyear sponsorship with full funding for 3 cars I might even move there.

I don't really see Carl leaving Roush, long as the money is there and he is provided with competitive equipment. Although if he does leave, i could see Penske expanding to a 3rd/4th car for Edwards and/or Blaney in the future.

I don't think he'll have the career Larson and Elliott will, but that's no slight considering how great those guys will probably end up running in Cup. I think he'll do better than Austin and about as well as or a little better than Ty (IMO Ty is a better wheelman than Austin). He's only had one full season in one of the national series but already has wins in both Truck and Nationwide. I'm looking forward to his Cup debut next month at Kansas.

I'd have to agree with pretty much all of that. Kansas is a tough track to make your Cup debut on though!

Ty has not impressed so far. I think Austin will have the better career and that will probably end up being just a handful of wins.

Ty has not impressed so far. I think Austin will have the better career and that will probably end up being just a handful of wins.
Maybe not yet in Nationwide, but in one of his three Truck wins he beat Kyle Busch head-to-head and then beat Kyle and Kez head-to-head in another.

No, Penske had sponsors for Hornish, but they sold it out from under him to support the 2. That is why all of Hornish's sponsors from last year on all running limited schedules on the 2 in NNS.

Please explain.

That's what I predicted back in 2012 after Penske made the announcement they would go to Ford. No way Roush can compete with what Roger brings to the table. No way Ford can afford to lose what they lucked in to getting. I have no doubt if Roger pushes, Jack will be moved aside.

Yep, and Miller NEVER sponsored Hornish. His whole comment is confusing.
Maybe Worth? They sponsored the 12 and have been on the 2 car this year. Still doesn't explain much.. other than they decided to cut down their sponsorship... which was the point... wasn't it? lol

Maybe Worth? They sponsored the 12 and have been on the 2 car this year. Still doesn't explain much.. other than they decided to cut down their sponsorship... which was the point... wasn't it? lol

OK. I guess that is his theory. Sam has had his chances and he hasn't gotten it done.

I agree... probably why his sponsorship was cut. I doubt its because Miller Lite said they wont do it lol

Yep. Roger seems to always finds a way to keep his sponsors happy and involved with team Penske. Any car sponsor has the option to sell a race or 2 to an approved alternate sponsor.

What does Roush have without Edwards? Nothing. And it's not like Roush's driver development program has produced anybody even close to worthy of replacing Edwards. If Edwards goes, that's the dominoe that crumbles Roush racing.

They'd have to relace him with Danica :owquitit:

More than anything drivers top want a realistic chance of winning. If Edwards couldn't go to Penske, I think he would go to another brand. He is a little old to wait and see if Roush can turn it around. He already has plenty of money, so I don't think that would have as much influence on him as it did before. If he hasn't signed an extension by the time the chase rolls around, he will probably be leaving. It will be interesting to watch.

Carl will never leave Ford. Thus, Penske.....and then you have a super team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Jamie Allison hustling Penske at the expense of Roush right now. I will tell you what....as a guy who appreciates and thrives on manufacturer loyalty, what Penske has rolling right now is absolutely brilliant. That engineering staff is to be commended. Great story.
What makes you so sure Carl wouldn't leave Ford? I think if the deal were right he would go for the best fit, no matter what the manufacturer.

I see penske expanding to a three car team soon, Carl would be a good fit, but i don't know if Penske does it next year, but i think he wil expand for sure in the near future.

I see penske expanding to a three car team soon, Carl would be a good fit, but i don't know if Penske does it next year, but i think he wil expand for sure in the near future.
Agreed. Although I think when he expands to 3 cars it will be in 2-3 years and it will be to put Ryan Blaney in the 12 car. He is 18 or 19 years old and won last year once in only 3 starts in NNS and has 15 starts this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a full time NNS season or two in the 12 before coming to cup in it. Im sure if Penske sees enough success then eventually they would go to 4 cars but I don't see that happening any time soon. Not the success.. but it takes a lot to put together a competitive full time cup team. Let alone two... and I have to think Blaney is first on Penske's list of people to put into that 3rd car. Who knows though... Carl could be a good asset. On the other hand Penske has talked a lot about how they are looking to the future by hiring young, talented drivers and developing them... I think Carl is too old for Penske as they stand right now.

I don't really see Carl leaving Roush, long as the money is there

When Carl sees the pay check stubs from guys driving for other owners his loyalty to Ford may diminish. I just don't see Roush being a top tier team anymore.

JGR had a great day at Texas. I have never been more pleased with my TRD Toyotas when they didn't win than I am today. They showed me something in terms of gaining on the new set ups. Clint could have easily won two in a row if not for pit issues. Very, very, very pleased.

Told ya Kyle would race good, thought we had another win with the late caution

I don't think Brad or Roger want Carl around. It's pretty obvious Carl ruled the roost at Roush, and that would just upset things when they are going so well. I know Brad, in an ass-kissing moment he's becoming known for, called Carl the best driver in nascar. He's also said the same about JJ and Kurt.

it's time for jack to call it a day and move to Florida and watch the sun set.

I don't think Brad or Roger want Carl around. It's pretty obvious Carl ruled the roost at Roush, and that would just upset things when they are going so well. I know Brad, in an ass-kissing moment he's becoming known for, called Carl the best driver in nascar. He's also said the same about JJ and Kurt.

Which one of the three was the Great Kez correct about?

Told ya Kyle would race good, thought we had another win with the late caution

I have never, ever heard him that happy with a non-win Kyle18. For the first time, they were doing stuff to the car with the result they anticipated. They went too far on one stop unwound themselves, and fought back. He continues that, he can win this thing. By a lot, I would prefer to be running the way JGR is than to be bullet fast, and break like Delana's wife. Been there. Done that. Everybody can be that fast when you hold the lighter that close to the gas can. We are creeping up on this, and The Lady in Black will be a very big test of progress.

Please explain.

Hornish said that the reason he didn't have a ride anymore with Penske is because Rodger had to move some things around to fund the other cars. Hence the reason all of Hornish's sponsors are on the 2 this year. If Rodger didn't need the funding for the 2 then I am almost certain Hornish would still be in the 12 with the same sponsors.

Edit: I just saw my error. I meant Cup, not NNS.

All of Hornish's sponsors from last year have already ran on the 2 in Cup this year. Worth and Alliance.

Here is the quote I was talking about:

Hornish Jr. in the offer-taking stage for a 2014 ride: Sam Hornish Jr. could end the season as 2013 NASCAR Nationwide Series champion  and unemployed. "I'm in the offer-taking stage right now. At this point they don't have anything for me at Penske (Racing) next year," Hornish said during an interview with RacinToday on Thursday. "It's not anything performance-wise. It's strictly money and not on our side of the deal. They're having to shuffle things around to accommodate other people." Hornish, driver of Roger Penske's #12 Ford Mustang, will take a 15-point lead over Austin Dillon of Richard Childress Racing into Saturday afternoon's 5-Hour Energy 200 at the 1-mile Dover International Speedway.

and

• Wurth to sponsor Keselowski: Wurth will serve as a primary sponsor of the #2 Team Penske Ford Fusion for four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in 2014. Team Penske announced that the #2 Wurth Ford, with former series champion Brad Keselowski behind the wheel, will make its debut on March 23 at the Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway, in Fontana, Calif. Wurth will also be an associate sponsor on the #2 Team Penske Ford for the balance of the 2014 season. The Wurth Group first partnered with Team Penske in 2012 and the leading automotive, industrial and woodworking supply company has served as a primary sponsor for the team in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and an associate partner on the #2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion over the last two seasons.(Team Penske)(1-22-2014)

• Alliance Truck Parts to sponsor Keselowski: Team Penske announced that Alliance Truck Parts will join the #2 Ford Fusion team for the 2014 Sprint Cup Series. After successfully partnering with Team Penske in the Nationwide Series for the last several seasons, Alliance Truck Parts will transition to become a primary sponsor for the #2 Ford Fusion, driven by 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion Brad Keselowski. The distinctive bright yellow Alliance Truck Parts colors will adorn the Team Penske Ford for eight races in 2014 beginning with the race at Phoenix International Raceway on March 2. An industry-leading provider of heavy duty truck parts for the commercial transportation industry, Alliance Truck Parts will also be a prominent associate sponsor on the #2 Ford throughout the 2014 season.(Team Penske), see an image of the car on the #2 team paint schemes page.(1-21-2014)

So Hornish's sponsors went from splitting full NNS schedule to 12 cup races on the 2.

Last edited:
Yates and DEI realized it was time...Jack should be thinking the same,

Back
Top Bottom