Duck Commander 500: Rate the race..

I didn't get to watch it. I tried to listen but it isn't broadcast locally. At lunch I checked here and someone mentioned PRN and I was able to listen to the race - thanks Racing Forums.

I thought the late caution might cost Joey the win he deserved. I though Jeff also deserved to win too because he had one taken away with a late caution earlier this season.

For Texas, this is about as good as you could get. I was sitting in turn four for the first 250 miles and turn one for the last 250 and the lines run by drivers in traffic was infinite. It was phenomenal to watch. The problem is that the track is so narrow that clean air allows you to get away from everyone behind you so quickly. Once lap traffic becomes part of the game, it's on. Track position is at a premium at Texas and always will be because of the layout but I thought the racing was great once the cars got within half a second of each other.

Once you pulled within a second you could draft down the straights and in the dogleg then run the opposite line of the guy in front of you to find clean air. Cars could race side-by-side so once again, for Texas, it was perfect.

Side note:

Kyle Larson is unbelievable to watch in person. I was lucky enough to see him race a 410 at Knoxville two summers ago and was blown away by his ability to run absolutely everywhere on the track. On Sunday, he was arching that thing up against the wall and for awhile you could close your eyes and know exactly what car he was in. He was hugging the wall and feathering the throttle. Other guys could run up against the wall, but they weren't on the gas like Kyle was. I've never been so impressed in my years of watching a stock car driver as I was this Monday.

I do have one other...Kurt Busch, and he fared similarly :(
So you did have a sad day.

I'm a Kurt fan too and I like Jimmie at least Kyle got 3rd and I was happy to see Joey win it and Gordon second....I like most of them, :)

It just wasn't that great of a race, it had it moments or laps here and there but one didn't miss much of a racing show IMHO. Even though Jeff doesn't care I do believe his last pit was a great call. They probably had to threaten him with physical harm to make the stop though.

Back
Top Bottom