DW to NASCAR: Fix schedule, leave the cars alone, use 'common sense'

This is one of the main reasons for the " RTA", Racing Team Alliance, the owners have had enough!

Thought the RTA was about hotels, flights, and insurance?

DW is a shill for nascar. He's not going to say a peep that might upset the brain and powers to be that could go to the network and tell them to get rid of him.

IMHO. The way NASCAR is and has always been run from it's beginning is more the essence of a "CLUB" where those who participate have to pay for membership/dues for the right to wear the patch. It has always been played in the France' backyard and if you don't like it, YOU can go home but you ain't getting a penny back.

I really don't see how it can currently be considered a viable sport according to the business structure. There is much that can be done for the good of professional racing and all people involved but wall's have already been built and now must be overcome. One Family shouldn't be the sole possessors with keys to the front door and the till. It just doesn't seem right to me and never has.

I don't know what the answer is and this is only my opinion but for the sake of this sport and all involved including the fans, a fair and equitable solution needs to be first on everyone's mind. Don't blow the whole damn thing up, built it stronger than ever before.

None of the major racing series in the world has worked for everybody really. F1 is a political cluster. The BS of CART, Champ Car, IRL has been well documented here. NASCAR has been pretty tame by comparison. With the "viable sports" comes voice, and with voice comes power. At some point, somebody has to run the show. I am not a France apologist, but do you really want NASCAR to look like F1? IRL? How about baseball where some of the most sacred records have been broken by cheaters whose union has protected them? NFL? You know the league where nobody can get hit anymore, and dear God don't celebrate or anything? NBA? Whatever. I'm not trying to be a dick, but somebody tell me what this should look like. Who runs it? Okay, kick Brian out. The owners elect a series director--Rob Kauffman probably. What happens when he actually tries to lead? He gets fired. Then the rich dudes who are trying to kick the **** out of each other--which is what they did to get rich--start to beat each other up--which is what they did to get rich--and you are left with what? A cluster.....and back to a point I made long ago, has anybody asked the fans about this? No. Why? Because we are irrelevant. We will take what we are given....or not. Do. Not. ****. With. My. NASCAR. Everything was fine until the sponsorship dollar went away. NASCAR didn't change their expectations when it came to the product. Owners started paying more out of their own pockets because they couldn't get sponsorship. Rich guys never stay put. Rich guys always want more money. Lots of rich guys became poor guys because they couldn't leave well enough alone. Somebody please cite a precedent which would give us hope that this will go in the right direction.

None of the major racing series in the world has worked for everybody really. F1 is a political cluster. The BS of CART, Champ Car, IRL has been well documented here. NASCAR has been pretty tame by comparison. With the "viable sports" comes voice, and with voice comes power. At some point, somebody has to run the show. I am not a France apologist, but do you really want NASCAR to look like F1? IRL? How about baseball where some of the most sacred records have been broken by cheaters whose union has protected them? NFL? You know the league where nobody can get hit anymore, and dear God don't celebrate or anything? NBA? Whatever. I'm not trying to be a dick, but somebody tell me what this should look like. Who runs it? Okay, kick Brian out. The owners elect a series director--Rob Kauffman probably. What happens when he actually tries to lead? He gets fired. Then the rich dudes who are trying to kick the **** out of each other--which is what they did to get rich--start to beat each other up--which is what they did to get rich--and you are left with what? A cluster.....and back to a point I made long ago, has anybody asked the fans about this? No. Why? Because we are irrelevant. We will take what we are given....or not. Do. Not. ****. With. My. NASCAR. Everything was fine until the sponsorship dollar went away. NASCAR didn't change their expectations when it came to the product. Owners started paying more out of their own pockets because they couldn't get sponsorship. Rich guys never stay put. Rich guys always want more money. Lots of rich guys became poor guys because they couldn't leave well enough alone. Somebody please cite a precedent which would give us hope that this will go in the right direction.

It is worth the risk imo. Brian needs the resistance. He is gutting racing and needs to be stopped.
Doing nothing would be the greater trajedy imo.
A hole has already been knocked into the Titanic, playing pretty music doesn't negate the problem.

It is worth the risk imo. Brian needs the resistance. He is gutting racing and needs to be stopped.
Doing nothing would be the greater trajedy imo.
A hole has already been knocked into the Titanic, playing pretty music doesn't negate the problem.

Here dipstick, read this, maybe you will learn something and have somebody besides Brain to blame for everything.

Lesa France Kennedy, 52, Brian's older sister, is vice chair of NASCAR, but her primary role is chairwoman of International Speedway Corp., which operates 12 major racetracks nationwide, from Watkins Glen, N.Y., to Daytona Beach, Fla., to Fontana, Calif.

The Frances own NASCAR outright. ISC is a publicly traded company, but the Frances control it.

The current-generation Frances keep their wealth so close to the vest, so diversified, that it is hard to estimate their net worth. But, just for starters, public records indicate Brian France owns nearly $500 million in ISC stock alone.

Kennedy's net worth is nearly impossible to estimate from outside the family, largely because so much of her holdings is in NASCAR, which, as a private company owned entirely within the family, does not disclose its financial structure.

But some former insiders believe that, several years ago, she bought out her younger brother's interest in NASCAR itself for an estimated $250 million. It is also believed that she and her uncle, James C. "Jim" France, 69, who stays deeply in the background, are the two principal owners of NASCAR.

Here's one for your dartboard.

espnw_g_france11_300.jpg

Here dipstick, read this, maybe you will learn something and have somebody besides Brain to blame for everything.

Lesa France Kennedy, 52, Brian's older sister, is vice chair of NASCAR, but her primary role is chairwoman of International Speedway Corp., which operates 12 major racetracks nationwide, from Watkins Glen, N.Y., to Daytona Beach, Fla., to Fontana, Calif.

The Frances own NASCAR outright. ISC is a publicly traded company, but the Frances control it.

The current-generation Frances keep their wealth so close to the vest, so diversified, that it is hard to estimate their net worth. But, just for starters, public records indicate Brian France owns nearly $500 million in ISC stock alone.

Kennedy's net worth is nearly impossible to estimate from outside the family, largely because so much of her holdings is in NASCAR, which, as a private company owned entirely within the family, does not disclose its financial structure.

But some former insiders believe that, several years ago, she bought out her younger brother's interest in NASCAR itself for an estimated $250 million. It is also believed that she and her uncle, James C. "Jim" France, 69, who stays deeply in the background, are the two principal owners of NASCAR.

I dont insult you.. Please put me on your ignore list. I have better things to do than fling the crap with you.
Please honour this request, this isnt the first time you have insulted me. I dont want to get to the same level.

Thank you. Best wishes to you in all your future endeavors.

If anyone else wants to respectfully ask the same question, I will answer it as honestly as I can.

I would put me on YOUR ignore list. this stuff below that you posted is borderline slanderous. No use to be that way, shooting the messenger..both times. It isn't all Brian, he has been involved in some changes that have improved the racing and some that haven't. According to the article he doesn't even have any interest in Nascar, bought out by his sister.

But I see Brian more as a corporate greedy pig.
I think Brian is douchebag, I wish him the worst. I hope he burns in Hell.

I don't know what the answer is there are a lot of people involved looking for a piece of the pie. I have no idea what the team owner's are asking for if anything at all. Nothing has been laid out, no offers put into place up to this point. I just don't want to see the whole damn thing blow up. I've got my own beef with NASCAR from many years ago and I really don't care for the totalitarian regime business nature of theirs.

I do have to admit, it is one hell of a business model. You get everyone to pay you for the right to do something they love to do and could do it on their own.

I don't know what the answer is there are a lot of people involved looking for a piece of the pie. I have no idea what the team owner's are asking for if anything at all. Nothing has been laid out, no offers put into place up to this point. I just don't want to see the whole damn thing blow up. I've got my own beef with NASCAR from many years ago and I really don't care for the totalitarian regime business nature of theirs.

I do have to admit, it is one hell of a business model. You get everyone to pay you for the right to do something they love to do and could do it on their own.

Like D.W. said if their accountant is telling them they aren't making any money, their backs are to the wall. I think the alliance is trying to get everybody's heads together to see if they can cut costs, if they can't do that or nobody wants to change anything who knows. They don't have the ballparks, but they have the bats, balls and the uniforms.

Like D.W. said if their accountant is telling them they aren't making any money, their backs are to the wall. I think the alliance is trying to get everybody's heads together to see if they can cut costs, if they can't do that or nobody wants to change anything who knows. They don't have the ballparks, but they have the bats, balls and the uniforms.

Owning and operating a racing team is not a very good business opportunity. I'd hate to even imagine a ground level start up for even a single car team. IMO, I see a need for some infusion of competitive teams and NASCAR isn't doing anything to attract new blood or money.

It's all such bull****. These kids are huge players. What do they do when a business model sucks? They walk away. The owners don't need this. This is their game, and we get to watch. The Frances are nothing more than the arcade owners. Why do the owners stay? Because it is a hell of a lot of fun to take down other power players with a ton of people watching. Then, all of a sudden, they say, "Hey, this is getting expensive," and look for ways to finance their habit.

NASCAR isn't doing anything to attract new blood or money.

??? great arca race @ chicago just finished ......buncha good young talent .......on track & w/ media !
lotsa 1st time winners this yr. mason mitchell today.
but no arca thread today . ? fan problem ?? or nascar ?

??? great arca race @ chicago just finished ......buncha good young talent .......on track & w/ media !
lotsa 1st time winners this yr. mason mitchell today.
but no arca thread today . ? fan problem ?? or nascar ?

What are the benefits for joining NASCAR and fielding a team?..

ask an owner.

They're kind of busy right now and I'm sure under a gag order. Never thought I'd get a cognizant answer as there isn't one at this time. I just hope this mess don't come to the proverbial line in the sand.

I feel a shorter schedule might be better for the sport, after all absense makes the heart grow stronger. The most popular sport is the NFL and they only run 4 months a year.
Maybe a 28 race schedule.
It seems most casual fans have this attitude that they can catch a Nascar race most any weekend and don't feel the need to see all of them. The ho hum summer races might be more interesting if there were less of them.
Cut the nationwide and cup companion race weekends down to maybe 5 a year.
Why not run the cup series and Indy cars at the same track several times a year. I'm sure it would bring alot more interest to both series and Indy car could sure use the exposure.
Get rid of the chase, play offs are for stick and ball sports whose losing teams are done for the year. The team with the most points at the end of the season wins, Period.
Don't get me wrong, I would be just fine watching races 52 weeks a year.

a few thoughts guys.

---if ya like nascar racing ....why not support it ....instead of negativity at every chance ?
yeah ....bitchin is ok ....but 24/7 ?

-----brian france didn't Pick his job .....unlike dad-n-grandpa....he was appointed.....ta carry on family biz.
he's supposedly made....some good choices....some bad ...just like bill sr / bill jr.
damn sure ain't tryin ta kill tha sport tho ......like ya'll keep sayin.

--sister lesa....has economic & phychology ba's....plus granny annie b trainin.
shrewd uncle jim....says zilch......no interviews.
both prolly make most major decisions tho ....not brian.

-- rta is only 1 leg of 3 leg stool that makes races happen.....rta---tracks ---nascar.
1 don't work.....w/o other 2. they'll work it out.....else they all fail. we'll see.

--if folks don't like bein called derogatory slur names on here.....quit passin 'em out ta others.
specially folks that can't defend themselves....like nascar / rta folks.
pure dee hypocritical chicken ****e when ya do that.

rant finished.

I feel a shorter schedule might be better for the sport, after all absense makes the heart grow stronger. The most popular sport is the NFL and they only run 4 months a year.
Maybe a 28 race schedule.
It seems most casual fans have this attitude that they can catch a Nascar race most any weekend and don't feel the need to see all of them. The ho hum summer races might be more interesting if there were less of them.
Cut the nationwide and cup companion race weekends down to maybe 5 a year.
Why not run the cup series and Indy cars at the same track several times a year. I'm sure it would bring alot more interest to both series and Indy car could sure use the exposure.
Get rid of the chase, play offs are for stick and ball sports whose losing teams are done for the year. The team with the most points at the end of the season wins, Period.
Don't get me wrong, I would be just fine watching races 52 weeks a year.

hhmmm.....and what about that little ole fox/nbc 10 yr tv deal ?

Never would happen. Aside from both charging excessive sanctioning fees, do you think Brian wants his Sprint Cup cars to be the slower main event during a race weekend?

racer8 said:

Never would happen. Aside from both charging excessive sanctioning fees, do you think Brian wants his Sprint Cup cars to be the slower main event during a race weekend?

They ran the trucks and Indycars together at Texas years ago. Sat and Sun. Sun was a rainout so they ran the indys on Monday. My bud and I hung around (hard cores) until Monday..had the place almost to ourselves. We sat everywhere but the press box.:growl:

They ran the trucks and Indycars together at Texas years ago. Sat and Sun. Sun was a rainout so they ran the indys on Monday. My bud and I hung around (hard cores) until Monday..had the place almost to ourselves. We sat everywhere but the press box.:growl:
Trucks still race with IndyCars, they just did it two weeks ago at Iowa. The Truck series isn't Cup.

The IndyCar guys hate the Truck companion races because the Goodyear Truck rubber laid down on the track is slick as hell and green compared to a track rubbered down with the Firestone IndyCar rubber.

a few thoughts guys.

---if ya like nascar racing ....why not support it ....instead of negativity at every chance ?
yeah ....bitchin is ok ....but 24/7 ?

-----brian france didn't Pick his job .....unlike dad-n-grandpa....he was appointed.....ta carry on family biz.
he's supposedly made....some good choices....some bad ...just like bill sr / bill jr.
damn sure ain't tryin ta kill tha sport tho ......like ya'll keep sayin.

--sister lesa....has economic & phychology ba's....plus granny annie b trainin.
shrewd uncle jim....says zilch......no interviews.
both prolly make most major decisions tho ....not brian.
Continuing to watch is enough support in itself. A few million others have decided otherwise and it's obvious it's hurt NASCAR a good bunch.

He's made more poor choices than good choices. Look at NASCAR immediately before he became involved and look at it now. His goal was to make his mark, to change things, right from the beginning and that's about it. Not much concern for anyone or anything else.

I'm not too fond of Lesa and Jim either, obviously they have huge roles at ISC but that's just pertaining to the tracks. Jim at least has done a decent job with IMSA. Brian is the CEO and Chairman of NASCAR and on ISC's BoD so he's the only one who for sure has a large say in what happens in both organizations.

etc_hardchoices09__01__630x420-jpg.9968

well i think it is a bit short sided, people want to assign blame and to me it is a lot more that Brian. This country has really changed since he took over, lots of good paying jobs are gone and replaced with less paying ones. The realist-ate swindle hit the eastern seaboard, fuel costs have tripled, lots of variables and competition for entertainment is keener than ever. Lots easier to just blame Brian.

Continuing to watch is enough support in itself. A few million others have decided otherwise and it's obvious it's hurt NASCAR a good bunch.

He's made more poor choices than good choices. Look at NASCAR immediately before he became involved and look at it now. His goal was to make his mark, to change things, right from the beginning and that's about it. Not much concern for anyone or anything else.

I'm not too fond of Lesa and Jim either, obviously they have huge roles at ISC but that's just pertaining to the tracks. Jim at least has done a decent job with IMSA. Brian is the CEO and Chairman of NASCAR and on ISC's BoD so he's the only one who for sure has a large say in what happens in both organizations.

biggest idiots must be fox / nbc .....w/ that idiotic 10 yr $ 8.2 billion deal ???
if only they knew what you do !

Wanna point out to me where I said I was?

see above....
look now...8.2 billion

see above
You're reading too deeply into that, hawg. NBCSN and FS1 needed a lot of live content to get their new cable sports networks off the ground, and NASCAR was one of the few properties up for grabs that could provide that. How much they paid doesn't tell me a lot about how the racing is or how legitimate the championship is.

Try not to pick any more fights.

You're reading too deeply into that, hawg. NBCSN and FS1 needed a lot of live content to get their new cable sports networks off the ground, and NASCAR was one of the few properties up for grabs that could provide that. How much they paid doesn't tell me a lot about how the racing is or how legitimate the championship is.

Try not to pick any more fights.

does tell ya tha whole race series lives another decade tho.
that legitimate for ya ?
maybe cart / irl crap redo is preferable ?
w/o that tv deal .....would smi / isc / nascar grow ? or just wither on vine ?
all ya race purists think races just happen ! it don't .
takes lotsa $$....time...effort...etc.....before fans ever see 1 glimpse.
all happens from 3 leg stool !

no fight here.....all is ..... you vs. you !

does tell ya tha whole race series lives another decade tho.
that legitimate for ya ?
maybe cart / irl crap redo is preferable ?
w/o that tv deal .....would smi / isc / nascar grow ? or just wither on vine ?
all ya race purists think races just happen ! it don't .
takes lotsa $$....time...effort...etc.....before fans ever see 1 glimpse.
all happens from 3 leg stool !

no fight here.....all is ..... you vs. you !
I suggest you quit with the straw men.

cognizant answer requires cognizant question . ??

Again, what cause it there to pay the exorbitant fees of said association if there is no clear return on the investment. "IF" the teams choose to strike at the start of the chase it will be all over except for the crying. The France family doesn't stand to lose anything by restructuring their sport as it is right now. It may not be broken but it is way over due for some major servicing.

Excerpt from a pretty good article by Ol' DW.....

If NASCAR puts out a bulletin they are changing the engines, well, that's really expensive. If they put out a bulletin they are changing the way the bodies are to be designed, that costs money. Employees, health insurance, cars, haulers, tire bills, hotel bills, travel bills -- folks, it all adds up and adds up big. Whatever NASCAR says needs to be changed, the owners have to pay for it. Again, like I mentioned earlier this week, the owners even have to pay to have their cars inspected by NASCAR.

So they pay, pay, pay and then pay some more. Somewhere even the Rick Hendricks and Roger Penskes of the world have accountants saying to them, "Do you realize how much this is costing us?" I just think there are a lot of things that need to be considered right now. At the same time there are things, at least in my book, that don't need to be considered.

The NASCAR Sprint Cup series is enjoying the best competition and the fastest cars in the entire history of our sport. So will someone please explain to me why there is talk of changing it? There is talk of changing the motor and changing the car. Why? That's not the part that needs fixed.

It's back to that common sense thing to me. Change the things, like the schedule that is screaming to be changed, and don't change the things that don't need to be changed. I'm just sitting here on this off-weekend kicking these thoughts around about what can we do to go forward. To a person, everyone from NASCAR, to everyone in the garage, to everyone on the television and radio side wants to see this sport grow.

We all want to see this sport go to the next level and be the best it's ever been. I just think we are sitting at crossroads right now where there is a chance to truly make it happen. I just hope and pray we seize this opportunity and run with it.

Read it in its entirety here.

For once I agree with Jaws.:booya:

Back
Top Bottom