Goodbye to 11-second pit stops???

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
NASCAR is considering smaller pit crews for 2017

Eleven-second pit stops could be a thing of the past.

There are ongoing discussions between team owners and NASCAR of further reducing the number of pit crew members going over the wall from six to five, Motorsport.com has learned.

The cost-cutting initiative could go into effect as early as 2017.

It would be up to each team’s discretion how to choreograph the pit stops. However, under a full fuel stop, the most likely scenario would feature the elimination of one tire carrier. In the evolution of NASCAR pit stops, most team incorporated two tire carriers in the mid-90s.

The current proposal to limit crew personnel over the wall is twofold: As a cost-cutting measure for mid-level operations. Second, as a safety initiative to eliminate additional bodies on pit road.... (Link to article)

40 less people on pit road per race, probably 100 or so crew members jumping back into the super flooded pit crew job market. Kinda crappy, but I get it.

From a financial standpoint, top teams that currently pay six figures for a tire carrier — plus travel expenses — can reallocate the funds back into the race for research and development.
"Cost-cutting".

air-quotes.gif

how much money can a pit crew guy make,75 to 100 grand or less. a drop in a bucket in the cost of racing.

From a financial standpoint, top teams that currently pay six figures for a tire carrier — plus travel expenses — can reallocate the funds back into the race for research and development.

Completely backwards priorities. The RND arms race is what is killing this sport not a tire carrier.

Stupid. This won't cut costs nearly enough and it lessens the spectacle. It's not the over-the-wall crew that are bankrupting teams its the behind-the-computer departments.
In what way would the spectacle be lessened? I wouldn't want to see it lessened, but I don't see why it would be. As for the cost of R & D, engineers and such... why not search in many places for ways to reduce the cost of racing? I think this pit thing could approach $1 million per year for a four-car team... not to be sneezed at IMO.

how about automated robots so all pit stops are the same so HSR can compete?

how much money can a pit crew guy make,75 to 100 grand or less. a drop in a bucket in the cost of racing.

I always wonder what insurance is for these guys though, which I'm sure NASCAR or the teams provide. I'm sure that has to be costly.

Health insurance agent: "So what's your occupation?"
Pit crew member: "I jump between 40 cars doing interstate speeds to make a pit stop."

(Link to article)
Sorry, I omitted the link in the OP. Here it is.

A few years ago there was a lawsuit involving a pit guy at MWR, and straight salary was $130,000. Add benefits and travel... over $200,000 I would think.

Pit times weren't going to get any shorter anyway- how fast you can fuel up has been the new limiting factor ever since JGR brought out those new guns a couple years ago and everyone else scrambled to develop their own.

Stupid. This won't cut costs nearly enough and it lessens the spectacle. It's not the over-the-wall crew that are bankrupting teams its the behind-the-computer departments.
First of all, nobody is going broke.

The rules are the same for everybody. How will everyone racing to do 15 second pit stops be less "spectacular" than trying to do them in 11 seconds? As I recall, the end of the world arrived last year when fireproof gloves and other safety gear was mandated for these guys.

Caution clocks, race manipulation, invisible debris, rule enforcement inconsistencies, stick-and-ball playoff formats, Brian France...these are what is killing the sport.
Bobby, that has nothing to do with this thread. No need to hijack this discussion.

It may not have been Brian France's idea at all. Maybe the reduction of an over the wall pit crew member was on the RTA's list just behind cutting hotel costs? o_O

11 seconds, 12 seconds, makes no difference to me. They'll all be in the same boat and they'll figure out a way to get an advantage again. They always do.

Mixed feelings.
Less people over the wall is one less person at risk, and pit roads are dangerous.
I like fast pit stops it makes changing tires a more likely choice. Hopefully this will not lead to harder tires.

I like it, but I would like to see only 3 men over the wall. There would be some tough decisions on how many tires to take on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If every team is going to have the same number of crew over the wall, what difference does it make how many of them there are?
The difference between taking on 2 tires vs 4 tires will increase. That may result in more teams gambling on 2 tires stops.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't think this would equate to much slower stops... Sure, a changer will have to hang his own wheel, but I bet that costs maybe around 2-3 seconds after the first few races.

In ten years they've gone from 16 second pit stops to 11 second pit stops. That evolution will continue, I'm sure.

In which case I'd rather see teams spend that money on people not parts. It's the human element that makes this a sport.
Indeed.

The 4 car, 400 employee teams will be decimated by this edict. Or ... the second tire carrier will be re-assigned elsewhere within the organization or within a satellite organization.

I like seeing the crew doing a pit stop. I'd like to see how a 5-man crew would work, I think it might be worth checking out. In F1 there are so many people around the car you can't see anything being done in a 2-3 second stop (they don't add fuel).

The Wood Brothers are credited for inventing the modern pit stop to save time back in 1963.

So they're going to cut a guy from the over the wall crew? Then they'll turn around and pay the same guy to catch the tire or brush the grill with a 12ft pole.

I always wonder what insurance is for these guys though, which I'm sure NASCAR or the teams provide. I'm sure that has to be costly.

Health insurance agent: "So what's your occupation?"
Pit crew member: "I jump between 40 cars doing interstate speeds to make a pit stop."
heavy duty commercial and industry hvac. boilers, chillers and cooling towers. plus crane rigging. every job has it dangers, more guys get hurt or die doing my job then any one on pit road. been doing it for 35 years. 8 more to go. you know the dangers going in, you can only makes things so safe.

Back
Top Bottom