Got to give Brian France this...

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
Brian France comes up with a lot of changes to NASCAR ever since he took over, and some of them have been pretty terrible. While I don't know if this new Chase format will be better than the last one, I'm still reserving my judgement til after Homestead. One thing I will give Brian France credit for is that this new Chase format is getting a lot of PR and fans are talking about it. So in terms of publicity, it is already a success.

What do you guys think?

The publicity it's receiving now is nothing compared to when Jimmy, Jeff or Jr get eliminated.

The publicity it's receiving now is nothing compared to when Jimmy, Jeff or Jr get eliminated.

If Jimmie gets eliminated, everyone will cheer.
If Jr. gets eliminated, Brian France better take a suitcase of money, hop aboard his private jet and fly down to Latin America
If Jeff gets eliminated, ehh...not much of a reaction other than frustration TBH.

i don't care what kind of format he comes up with as long as it's fair, and quits changing it every year. but no way should 1 race out of 36 determine the champion. maybe we need Jr to dominate the next 9 races and get wrecked out early at Homestead by a car many laps down to get Brian to understand.

If jr gets eliminated... Who cares? Jr has been eliminated from championship contention every year of his cup career.

It won't matter to me who wins or who gets eliminated. I don't like The Chase. I especially don't like the fact that whomever wins Homestead (out of the final four), wins the Championship.
Qualifying doesn't matter anymore.
Points don't matter anymore.
The Cup Championship doesn't matter anymore.

It will be a great elimination tournament, and great theatre or drama.

But it will still suck at being a good measure of determining who should be the champion. They could have had this tournament, and set the payout to exceed what the championship pays to get the great publicity while not involving or making a joke out winning the title.

Brian France comes up with a lot of changes to NASCAR ever since he took over, and some of them have been pretty terrible. While I don't know if this new Chase format will be better than the last one, I'm still reserving my judgement til after Homestead. One thing I will give Brian France credit for is that this new Chase format is getting a lot of PR and fans are talking about it. So in terms of publicity, it is already a success.

What do you guys think?

The new Chase format isn't Brian France's idea. He just imported NHRA's "Countdown to 1". Just like the old Chase was an import of the USAR Championship Series. And Knockout Qualifying, which was imported from Open Wheel.

It won't matter to me who wins or who gets eliminated. I don't like The Chase. I especially don't like the fact that whomever wins Homestead (out of the final four), wins the Championship.

It will take Aric or AJ winning the Championship to prove what a farce this system has become.

My thoughts pretty much as well.

How about if Kurt wins? Is it a farce then?

Not at all Lisa . Kurt is always a legit threat . He's had some bad luck this year , Stewart Haas has had growing pains for sure , but he and Kevin are for real . In this knockout format , I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmie go out in round one , but still finish with the best record .

Not at all Lisa . Kurt is always a legit threat . He's had some bad luck this year , Stewart Haas has had growing pains for sure , but he and Kevin are for real . In this knockout format , I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmie go out in round one , but still finish with the best record .

I know it sounds silly but I've said a lot of prayers that he does well and he has been in this position before so you never know.

What do you guys think?
To the original point, I agree. There's been a ton more publicity this year and lots of people are talking about Nascar. That part is good. The racing has been, overall, great. I bet there'll be a few new fans after this year.

If jr gets eliminated... Who cares? Jr has been eliminated from championship contention every year of his cup career.
i just used Jr as an example, could be any driver in the chase...

I think that the 16 chase driver will be gone next year. It just doesn't work that well. Specially when half of them are non-threats.

This win and you're in is pretty lame too. This year there was absolutely no drama or tenseness on who will get into the chase because the grid was pretty much set months ago.

I like how they tried to make a story on Larson making it. That was a pretty sad attempt to get some buzz going.

I haven't noticed many more fans this year. The discussion seems to be as abundant as it usually is this time of year. A stronger marketing effort - sure. But keep in mind most races this year have experienced drops in ratings and viewership.

Apparantly , next year they are going to have that guy from The Amazing Race waiting at the finish line . "Jimmie you are the last car to arrive , but the producer has decided that this was NOT an elimination round ." All the kids will jump up and down with glee. Advertisers will line up to cross advertise on the two shows .

I haven't noticed many more fans this year. The discussion seems to be as abundant as it usually is this time of year. A stronger marketing effort - sure. But keep in mind most races this year have experienced drops in ratings and viewership.
Kinda difficult to take you serious when you got that avatar.
(Just kidding) :D

What do you guys think?

will only get better once contender round begins.
thinkin lotsa folks on this thread gonna have ta learn how ta type .....while walkin backwards .....after homestead ! :D

i predict a brand new " i luv tha new chase " super sized bandwagon on 11 / 17 / '14 !

will only get better once contender round begins.
thinkin lotsa folks on this thread gonna have ta learn how ta type .....while walkin backwards .....after homestead ! :D

i predict a brand new " i luv tha new chase " super sized bandwagon on 11 / 17 / '14 !

That's a safe prediction it will go pretty good at least half the time. But some flukes will happen completely based on the foolishness of the final event.
And the stink will last a lot longer than goodie.

As I was saying the odds are less than 50%, that it blows up this year. But it will in the next three or four, and it will look pathetic when it does. As stupid as rigged judges at the Olympic games.

And Brian is effectively ****ting on the accomplishments of Earnhardt, Petty, Pearson , Cale, DW, Labonte, Gordon and others that won it the hard way over the balance of the season. He has turned it into a circus that can be dictated by the blown out of proportion results of a single event. A stupid Helter Shelter piece of ****, reduced to poker game standards and luck.
And the TV crap or Brian's portfolio doesn't mean anything to race fans. Make all the money you can, just don't screw with the actual credibility of the product.
Folks don't give a crap about the cookie cutters either, but Brian is still in denial and pushing more gimmicks.

And I pretty sure no one else worries about the bean counting crap either. They just want to see a racing series run seriously that has enough respect for the skills, art and Craft to guard against the idiocy that has been implemented.

Brian the control freak can fine the drivers, bully the press, and black ball the non fluffers with mics from having inside access.
But he is still an a**hole, and he will still be one when the stool pigeons give him a standing ovation into the hall, and everyone but the paid for pieces will know it as well.

That's a safe prediction it will go pretty good at least half the time. But some flukes will happen completely based on the foolishness of the final event.

As I was saying the odds are less than 50%, that it blows up this year. But it will in the next three or four, and it will look pathetic when it does. As stupid as rigged judges at the Olympic games.

And Brian is effectively ****ting on the accomplishments of Earnhardt, Petty, Pearson , Cale, DW, Labonte, Gordon and others that won it the hard way over the balance of the season. He has turned it into a circus that can be dictated by the blown out of proportion results of a single event. A stupid Helter Shelter piece of ****, reduced to poker game standards and luck.
And the TV crap or Brian's portfolio doesn't mean anything to race fans. Make all the money you can, just don't screw with the actual credibility of the product.
Folks don't give a crap about the cookie cutters either, but Brian is still in denial and pushing more gimmicks.

And I pretty sure no one else worries about the bean counting crap either. They just want to see a racing series run seriously that has enough respect for the skills, art and Craft to guard against the idiocy that has been implemented.

Brian the control freak can fine the drivers, bully the press, and black ball the non fluffers with mics from having inside access.
But he is still an *******, and he will still be one when the stool pigeons give him a standing ovation into the hall, and everyone but the paid for pieces will know it as well.

do they serve boiled crow at ya local diner in nov. ?
might oughta start gettin a taste for it !

It's weird when I'm reading through the threads and I come across one of my serious posts and there's a freaking pony next to it.

Hey at least it has a rainbow. Just think of Gordon's old DuPont paint scheme. lol

1_20101026023442_600_400.JPG

Actually, Rainbow Dash may actually like Jeff Gordon's Rainbow Warrior car.

But he is still an *******, and he will still be one when the stool pigeons give him a standing ovation into the hall, and everyone but the paid for pieces will know it as well.
Yeah, it may not go away this year, but I think this Chase will be another flash in the pan just like the Chase formats that preceded it. I give it 3 years max.

Yeah, it may not go away this year, but I think this Chase will be another flash in the pan just like the Chase formats that preceded it. I give it 3 years max.

That will be 3 years where 2 or 3 drivers gets in via a fluke win.

I was thrilled that AJ won himself the Glen but as far as the championship and chase was concerned he hadn't shown that he can actually compete.

I caught a little bit of practice yesterday since it was raining and they were replaying first practice and they were talking about how Allmendinger was pissed his car wasn't worth a damn. I found that reaction to be misplaced at the crew. What did he think that he would be able to contend just because he lucked into the chase?

Now he's acting entitled and making his crew feel unnecesary pressure. Just be happy you're getting some tv time.

That will be 3 years where 2 or 3 drivers gets in via a fluke win.

I was thrilled that AJ won himself the Glen but as far as the championship and chase was concerned he hadn't shown that he can actually compete.

I caught a little bit of practice yesterday since it was raining and they were replaying first practice and they were talking about how Allmendinger was pissed his car wasn't worth a damn. I found that reaction to be misplaced at the crew. What did he think that he would be able to contend just because he lucked into the chase?

Now he's acting entitled and making his crew feel unnecesary pressure. Just be happy you're getting some tv time.
Yeah, I think most of us will be shocked if AJ even makes it past Dover.

BTW, welcome back reck.

NASCAR is trying like hell to give this thing the March Madness treatment, but this isn't even close. Does anybody honestly know of anybody who has filled out a Chase bracket?

The cool thing about the NCAA Basketball tournament is how much is going on in a short period of time, especially that first weekend. They get from 68 teams to a champion in about 3 weeks time. NASCAR will be eliminating 4 drivers every 3 weeks in a process that takes 10 weeks total. It just isn't the same.

Back
Top Bottom