Got to give Brian France this...

NASCAR is trying like hell to give this thing the March Madness treatment, but this isn't even close. Does anybody honestly know of anybody who has filled out a Chase bracket?

The cool thing about the NCAA Basketball tournament is how much is going on in a short period of time, especially that first weekend. They get from 68 teams to a champion in about 3 weeks time. NASCAR will be eliminating 4 drivers every 3 weeks in a process that takes 10 weeks total. It just isn't the same.
Actually, I've seen a lot more people interested this year and I recently helped a client fill out a chase grid.
I'm part of 3 groups in 3 separate counties competing for money with the chase grid. One is as high as 3k.
It's not had that much time to get going since it's new but it honestly seems to be creating more buzz and interest - at least in my personal life.
Whether we like it or not or think it's legit, it really does seem to be generating more buzz.

Like I said though, that's just my personal experience.

Actually, I've seen a lot more people interested this year and I recently helped a client fill out a chase grid.
I'm part of 3 groups in 3 separate counties competing for money with the chase grid. One is as high as 3k.
It's not had that much time to get going since it's new but it honestly seems to be creating more buzz and interest - at least in my personal life.
Whether we like it or not or think it's legit, it really does seem to be generating more buzz.

Like I said though, that's just my personal experience.

good ta hear blanston.
by tomorrow .....this group will claim france family put all that $ in ya pool . :D

forecast #2-----lotsa spilt milk .... "what if ...........chase " threads in late nov. /dec. / jan. :headbang:

I've never been a fan of the Chase in any format. For me, starting in 2004 all comparisons to previous championship runs were eliminated. People will compare Johnson's eventual seven championships to those of Petty and Earnhardt but it will be a rather unfair comparison.

There's no turning back now. The Chase, in some format, is here to stay. I don't have any more of a problem with this format than I did the three previous formats of the Chase system. By design this format will create interest throughout. That's something that the previous formats failed to do. Right now I'm more interested in this years Chase than I've been in any leading up to this. From the looks of all of the Chase threads started over the last week I'd say a lot of others are too.

Like the OP said, people are talking about it more so that previous seasons. I think in the eyes of NASCAR it's already a success. At some point this way of determining the NASCAR Champion will become the norm and those of us that have been trough the transition will be long gone.

The diehards may hate the chase but I'll say this.

I was absolutely riveted all day Sunday. Riveted. When Matt spun entering the pits, my heart stopped. When he took four tires on the last stop and had a chance to break into the top five late, I was riveted. It was like watching my basketball team play. I was 100% into every event.

And I was not the only one. The whole place stood up the last 20 laps and there was a genuine buzz in the stands. If the Chase Grid makes racing fans act like the good ole days again, I'm all for it. I honestly cannot wait for Sunday.

I was against the Chase when it first started but I'm looking forward to see how this iteration works out. There's a bit of heat racing going on while we get to watch full races.

And I was not the only one. The whole place stood up the last 20 laps and there was a genuine buzz in the stands. If the Chase Grid makes racing fans act like the good ole days again, I'm all for it. I honestly cannot wait for Sunday.

Hey , if this is all it takes to bring back the fans , then great ... change the format every six months , that'll really make it exciting . Personally , I always enjoyed the racing . Weird eh?

Hey , if this is all it takes to bring back the fans , then great ... change the format every six months , that'll really make it exciting . Personally , I always enjoyed the racing . Weird eh?
Personally I think that they've just realized that they effed up on all of the previous versions of the Chase. I think they've hit on something here as far as the elimination segments and the like. The eliminations have been there for years. We used to just call them the points standings. Now they're official. That last one at Homestead, winner take all format, I'm not sold..... yet. Whether or not I am sold on it I do know that I'll probably be on the edge of my seat paying attention to those four drivers and their positions throughout the event.

But , it was always exciting back in the pack . I used to love to see Dick Trickle try make the top twenty , or some new team make it to the winners circle program , and there were always teams trying to make the top ten to get to the banquet . Fans ( and TV ) seemed to focus their complete attention on the winner and never noticed the racing .

But , it was always exciting back in the pack . I used to love to see Dick Trickle try make the top twenty , or some new team make it to the winners circle program , and there were always teams trying to make the top ten to get to the banquet . Fans ( and TV ) seemed to focus their complete attention on the winner and never noticed the racing .
Those battles are still taking place. Even in what many consider boring races there's still always racing going on back in the pack. We just don't see it unless we're there.

I was absolutely riveted all day Sunday. Riveted. When Matt spun entering the pits, my heart stopped. When he took four tires on the last stop and had a chance to break into the top five late, I was riveted. It was like watching my basketball team play. I was 100% into every event.

You were there, right? You sure people weren't just excited to see Larson up there challenging for the win and putting on a show battling with Harvick and Gordon?

I'm not picking a fight - I'm legitimately asking out of curiosity.

Before the chase the championship in nascar was always determined by who accumulated the most points over the season. Winner of a race got more points than 2nd place who got more than 3rd place etc.
The chase was implemented under the Nextel banner to counter the loss of viewership at the start of football season. The chase has been mucked with since it's inception in 2004. Brain will continuing mucking it up.
Haven't we seen someone who at seasons end and after the points were recalculated without the chase gimmickry actually scored more points then whoever was named champ?

Before the chase the championship in nascar was always determined by who accumulated the most points over the season. Winner of a race got more points than 2nd place who got more than 3rd place etc.
The chase was implemented under the Nextel banner to counter the loss of viewership at the start of football season. The chase has been mucked with since it's inception in 2004. Brain will continuing mucking it up.
Haven't we seen someone who at seasons end and after the points were recalculated without the chase gimmickry actually scored more points then whoever was named champ?
Yeah, in 5 of the 10 seasons the Chase has been around, there were drivers that scored more points than the champ: Jeff Gordon in '04 and '07, Carl Edwards in '08 and '11, and Kevin Harvick in '10.

Yeah, in 5 of the 10 seasons the Chase has been around, there were drivers that scored more points than the champ: Jeff Gordon in '04 and '07, Carl Edwards in '08 and '11, and Kevin Harvick in '10.
Championship diversity. Yes.

By implementing the chase, Brian has shot himself in the leg by accident. JJ went on to win 6 out of the last 8 championships, including 5 in a row - which has tremendously turned fans off to the sport.

Championship diversity. Yes.

By implementing the chase, Brian has shot himself in the leg by accident. JJ went on to win 6 out of the last 8 championships, including 5 in a row - which has tremendously turned fans off to the sport.
True. We've only had 4 different champions since the Chase was implemented, without the Chase we would have had 6 in the same timespan. There has always been a significant portion of the fan base that checks out after Labor Day, but the Chase has done absolutely zero to sway those fans back to NASCAR.

You were there, right? You sure people weren't just excited to see Larson up there challenging for the win and putting on a show battling with Harvick and Gordon?

I'm not picking a fight - I'm legitimately asking out of curiosity.

Well I guess we'll find out as things go along. Yeah I was there, it had an old school vibe. The only other race I'd ever been to where people stood up the last 20 laps was the Indy 500

Those battles are still taking place. Even in what many consider boring races there's still always racing going on back in the pack. We just don't see it unless we're there.

That is so very true. I will give the TV guys sunday some credit, they did show a lot of different action on the track, more than usual.

I didn't know we were allowed to give tv guys any good credit...i thought we were only allowed to throw sticks and stones.:)

Back
Top Bottom