Harvick

Ford 222

Team Owner
I didn't get to see the race. Harvicks crew get the blame for his finish? I heard this morning on Morning Drive he slammed up against the cheating winner Truex after the race then pouted and wouldn't talk to the media? Any ideas why besides channeling his inner Ky Bu?

Kyle Busch doesn't talk to the media, when he's actually required to: "Well, good for him, he's matured and didn't say something he would regret"

Kevin Harvick doesn't talk to media when he has no obligation to: "Harvick's a piece of ****. Hang him!!!"

Other drivers "slam" into winning car after the race: "They're just congratulating him"

Harvick "slams" into winning car after the race: "He's a piece of ****"

I didn't get to see the race. Harvicks crew get the blame for his finish? I heard this morning on Morning Drive he slammed up against the cheating winner Truex after the race then pouted and wouldn't talk to the media? Any ideas why besides channeling his inner Ky Bu?

Childers and the whoever made the pit call absolutely deserve blame for the finish. In case you don't know, Harvick was pitting was when the caution came out. Rather than complete the pit stop and take the wave-around, Harvick's crew took on two tires, went back on the track and pitted again for the left side tires, taking the wave-around out of the picture. Harvick was never able to get in position to get his lap back due to the lack of cautions. It was a stupid call to leave the pits without completing the stop, and an even more stupid call to come again and get out of position for the wave-around. Inexcusable from a championship team.

I can definitely see why Harvick would be pissed and not want to talk.

There, done venting about this. :D

It might anger fans of both drivers, but I've always said I don't think Harvick and KyBu are all that different. They're both very talented, and share a lot of the same mannerisms.

that was a very quick yellow that caught Harvick

Harvick is a bad-azz 'n Busch is a cry baby.....................

Heh, heh, heh......

Childers and the whoever made the pit call absolutely deserve blame for the finish. In case you don't know, Harvick was pitting was when the caution came out. Rather than complete the pit stop and take the wave-around, Harvick's crew took on two tires, went back on the track and pitted again for the left side tires, taking the wave-around out of the picture. Harvick was never able to get in position to get his lap back due to the lack of cautions. It was a stupid call to leave the pits without completing the stop, and an even more stupid call to come again and get out of position for the wave-around. Inexcusable from a championship team.

I didn't get to see that part of the race. it sounds to me like harvicks crew decided only 2 because they thought they might beat the leader to the start finish line. which they were within a few feet of doing BTW. they gambled and missed.

I didn't get to see that part of the race. it sounds to me like harvicks crew decided only 2 because they thought they might beat the leader to the start finish line. which they were within a few feet of doing BTW. they gambled and missed.

But it was a bad gamble to take. In the pre-wave around era, it would make sense. In the wave-around era, you're risking ending up lapped versus guaranteeing a position on the lead-lap.

He was on pit road during a green flag stop, they changed 2 tires to get him out before getting lapped, he missed the line by 2 feet - just bad luck because Johnson was a few feet ahead of him and was not lapped. They showed the leader crossing the start/finish line and Johnson/Harvick cross the line on pit road. Harvick never recovered which was surprising since it happened early in the race and he had already run from the rear through the field.

But it was a bad gamble to take. In the pre-wave around era, it would make sense. In the wave-around era, you're risking ending up lapped versus guaranteeing a position on the lead-lap.
Your hindsight skills are sharp.

It isn't a desk job and not for the faint of heart.

Your hindsight skills are sharp.

It isn't a desk job and not for the faint of heart.

This wasn't hindsight. I noticed it when he pulled out of the pits. It didn't take a genius not to make the move. MRN was also questioning it immediately. Childers is a great crew chief obviously...but that was a big blunder.

This wasn't hindsight. I noticed it when he pulled out of the pits. It didn't take a genius not to make the move. MRN was also questioning it immediately. Childers is a great crew chief obviously...but that was a big blunder.
So ... Mr. Childers is not a genius while unquestionably, the MRN broadcasters are.

And you? You saw it when he pulled out of the pits ... after the stop and after the call was made. Congratulations on your excellent HINDSIGHT.

Seems like complaining about NASCAR throwing a caution for a loose tire on pit road has become passe.

Personally, I thought the caution was totally uncalled for as the tire rolled a good distance into the grassy area and, for all practical purposes, could have been left there for the remainder of the race.

But, as we know, NASCAR doesn't tend to let an opportunity for a caution go to waste.

So ... Mr. Childers is not a genius while unquestionably, the MRN broadcasters are.

And you? You saw it when he pulled out of the pits ... after the stop and after the call was made. Congratulations on your excellent HINDSIGHT.

How was I to know that they weren't going to do the obvious thing and complete the pit stop before he left the pit? I didn't have to wait for the scoring pylon to update to know it was an error. I'm not one to Monday-morning quarterback (or crew chief). I know decisions made can look excellent or poor with the benefit of hindsight. But this is not one of those times. There was no logical reason to do what they did. Even if he had managed to unlap himself and win the race, I would say the same thing.

I agree with most of this but if the #4 hadn't started at the back, they probably would have pitted early than they did. They frickin' owned the place until the first round of stops. Those 'unapproved body modifications' that put him at the back are at least partly to blame for his being on pit road when he was. If he'd started up front where he was scheduled by points, he would have been leader when he pitted, or at least not a lap down if caught in the pits by the yellow.

I agree with most of this but if the #4 hadn't started at the back, they probably would have pitted early than they did. They frickin' owned the place until the first round of stops. Those 'unapproved body modifications' that put him at the back are at least partly to blame for his being on pit road when he was. If he'd started up front where he was scheduled by points, he would have been leader when he pitted, or at least not a lap down if caught in the pits by the yellow.

This I won't argue with (though I still consider the latter mistake more damning).

How was I to know that they weren't going to do the obvious thing and complete the pit stop before he left the pit? I didn't have to wait for the scoring pylon to update to know it was an error. I'm not one to Monday-morning quarterback (or crew chief). I know decisions made can look excellent or poor with the benefit of hindsight. But this is not one of those times. There was no logical reason to do what they did. Even if he had managed to unlap himself and win the race, I would say the same thing.
You might consider submitting a resume to SHR.

Kyle Busch doesn't talk to the media, when he's actually required to: "Well, good for him, he's matured and didn't say something he would regret"

Kevin Harvick doesn't talk to media when he has no obligation to: "Harvick's a piece of sh!t. Hang him!!!"

Other drivers "slam" into winning car after the race: "They're just congratulating him"

Harvick "slams" into winning car after the race: "He's a piece of sh!t"

I don't think Harvick is a POS but he is clearly an arrogant and self centered little SOB and rolls out of bed that way every morning.

It might anger fans of both drivers, but I've always said I don't think Harvick and KyBu are all that different. They're both very talented, and share a lot of the same mannerisms.

You are very polite to call what Harvick and Shrub suffer from as mannerisms....:)

I thought this was Truex slagging week.

Nah, anyone deemed worthy gets the treatment as it is easy to multi task.

Seems like complaining about NASCAR throwing a caution for a loose tire on pit road has become passe.

Personally, I thought the caution was totally uncalled for as the tire rolled a good distance into the grassy area and, for all practical purposes, could have been left there for the remainder of the race.

But, as we know, NASCAR doesn't tend to let an opportunity for a caution go to waste.

What cracks me up is the loose tire at the Glen and from what I understand yesterday were no big deals yet both triggered cautions yet the one in the X race is potentially dangerous as hell and the navel gaze and don't do a thing.

You might consider submitting a resume to SHR.

Please explain the scenario where the decision to abandon the pit stop could have been good. I can think of no scenario where it was the right call.

Please explain the scenario where the decision to abandon the pit stop could have been good. I can think of no scenario where it was the right call.
Please explain your continuing condemnation of some guy who made a split-second decision that turned out to be in error. It's just a game, nothing more.

Please explain your continuing condemnation of some guy who made a split-second decision that turned out to be in error. It's just a game, nothing more.

All I've been saying is it was an error. I don't want to rake Childers over the coals-he's a good crew chief. You suggested that it could only be called an error with the benefit of hindsight. I was asking if you could outline the scenario where this would have been a good decision (thus requiring hindsight to make claims), which you didn't. Perhaps you didn't carefully evaluate the situation before making your remarks.

Because "it's just a game, nothing more" is, in large part, the reason for any fan's "continuing condemnation of some guy who made a split-second decision that turned out to be in error."

Why change now ?

All I've been saying is it was an error. I don't want to rake Childers over the coals-he's a good crew chief. You suggested that it could only be called an error with the benefit of hindsight. I was asking if you could outline the scenario where this would have been a good decision (thus requiring hindsight to make claims), which you didn't. Perhaps you didn't carefully evaluate the situation before making your remarks.
It never occurred to me that it was a good decision. I spent as much time mulling it over as I thought it deserved. Not much.

In hindsight and after carefully considering all factors, if the car had crossed the line 2 feet ahead rather than 2 feet behind, the quality of the decision would have been radically altered.

It never occurred to me that it was a good decision. I spent as much time mulling it over as I thought it deserved. Not much.

In hindsight and after carefully considering all factors, if the car had crossed the line 2 feet ahead rather than 2 feet behind, the quality of the decision would have been radically altered.

If the car had crossed 2 feet ahead, Harvick would have pitted again for the left side tires and lined up last on the lead lap. He guaranteed (rather than risked) the same position by taking four and getting the wave-around.

If the car had crossed 2 feet ahead, Harvick would have pitted again for the left side tires and lined up last on the lead lap. He guaranteed (rather than risked) the same position by taking four and getting the wave-around.
Or they could have stayed out on the rights and tried a different strategy. These situations are dynamic. The 4 is not the first car caught out by a caution during green flag stops.

Or they could have stayed out on the rights and tried a different strategy. These situations are dynamic. The 4 is not the first car caught out by a caution during green flag stops.

That would have mitigated the damage. But Childers doubled down on the bad strategy. But we're reaching the point where the "dead horse" gif from last week would be appropriate, so I'll stop here.

That would have mitigated the damage. But Childers doubled down on the bad strategy. But we're reaching the point where the "dead horse" gif from last week would be appropriate, so I'll stop here.
It wasn't a strategy. It was a quick decision made in the middle of a rapidly changing, fluid situation.

I'll stop now as well. I have to go look up the definition of mitigated.

Rodney and Kevin work extremely well together and have great chemistry. However, I question Rodney's strategy a lot. That said, I think his setups and ability to get speed out of the car makes up for it.

In a statement released by Furniture Row Racing, team president Joe Garone points the blame for the post-race laser inspection failure of winning driver Martin Truex Jr.'s car at Kevin Harvick.

Furniture Row Racing president Joe Garone does not dispute the findings of a post-race laser inspection that failed the No. 78 car of his compnay's race-winning driver, Martin Truex Jr., following Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Chicagoland Speedway.

But in a statement released by the Furniture Row on Monday afternoon, Garone did indicate that the organization believes there were extenuating reasons for the failure of Truex's No. 78 Toyota in NASCAR's post-race laser inspection station (LIS).

Garone said the No. 4 car of fellow Chase for the Sprint Cup participant Kevin Harvick was to blame for knocking Truex's car slightly out of whack.

Continued-------------->>> http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...ys-kevin-harvick-to-blame-martin-truex-091916

Apparently Yap Yap knocked Truex's car into wack.

What sends shivers through me about taking away wins --- if the laser detects 1/1000th out of tolerance, that
minute amount takes away the win? To me, that's like burning down the house to kill a mosquito.

The answer for this is quite simple as Nascar should set a tolerance and make the drivers live with it. If you feel lucky and want to attempt to get right up to the edge of the tolerance then have at it but don't cry if you calculated wrong and went over. None of this is rocket science as we all have rules we need to live by and not fudge on. As I mentioned previously try being out of tolerance coming into to work a few minutes late or doing the same thing after break or lunch. You are either early, on time or late.

So how will NASCAR possibly police tolerances when damage from other competitors can throw a car out of whack? All of you advocating for the death penalty will be screaming when your driver's season is ended by a little love tap on the backstretch. Or I guess maybe lets just make NASCAR the no-touching league.

What will happen is on the cool down lap contenders will find a buddy to slam into so they can skew the results of the lasers. As a longtime Nascar watcher I understand this is the kind of BS you get when you take away the creativity from crew chiefs and mandate parts to be used on the spec car.

I agree but if you give them a tenth of an inch they'll take it and go for a little more until the penalty hurts. Pit road speed is an example where they are given 5mph and they still push it.

NASCAR has to determine what an acceptable margin of error is for post race inspections. Teams have the ability to design fatigue into components that could change inspection parameters during a race. Cars get to bumping and banging and that can affect things. I wouldn't put it past the teams to use team cars to bump each other to get a favorable dent.

That is exactly why a rule has to be set in stone or the drivers and teams will continue to take liberties. What people don't seem to realize is that when a punishment actually has consequences people tend to fall in line but when it is this namby pamby crap the drivers and teams just laugh about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvick does interview and trashes crew = bad guy

Harvick doesn't do interview so he doesn't trash crew = bad guy

I don't watch the interviews and only hear about them after the fact but IMO if a driver is required to give an interview he should do so without calling other drivers morons or throwing his team under the bus and things of that nature. If a driver is not required to give an interview and elects not to do so it should not be any issue at all.

Kevin Harvick doesn't talk to media when he has no obligation to: "Harvick's a piece of sh!t. Hang him!!!"

Harvick "slams" into winning car after the race: "He's a piece of sh!t"

I was referring to an incident on the track that the radio guys were talking about, the one the article you shared refers to. The one MTJ thinks the 4 did on purpose. If he did do it on purpose, he IS a POS......again.

I don't fault them for that pit call but kind of wonder why they never tried to take another wave around. There were several opportunities for wave arounds and as there were several cars short-pitting on each green flag pit stop the risk wasn't as great for the wave around cars in this race and the 4 had plenty of speed to stay on the lead lap.

That's why I was disappointed that neither Harvick or Childers talked after the race, it would have been interesting to hear the reasoning for not taking a wave around especially when they kept losing the lucky dog as other cars were lapped.

The initial break of the caution coming out when they were on pit road and losing the lap was bad luck but not trying to get a lap back by taking a wave around when there were at least three other opportunities was bad strategy (in my opinion).

It's his pit crews fault since they were obviously too slow again.

Back
Top Bottom