Help Me: What Can NASCAR Do To Attract More Minority Fans and Minority Racers?

I think a widget is a small electronic device lol. I wouldn't cross the street for anything that poses as country music today but I would definitely enjoy seeing an older group like Iron Maiden, Metallica or even the current lineup of Deep Purple. I doubt very many Nascar fans would be interested.
A lot of 'millennial fans' would go if there was a migos, wiz khalifa, chief keef, Travis Scott, etc etc kind of person or band playing a concert on race day

Lol widgets what the hell is that

Also the concerts NASCAR put on suck because they only have country music, which is universally hated by anyone under 25 who is not of a NASCAR demographic aka redneck

That's completely BS as country music is he most popular form of music right now, beating out rap. Guess there's more rednecks than you think?

Good ideas but the last time I checked, Essence and other magazines decided who would be on their covers and featured in their articles. Awards shows pick their presenters and recipients. NASCAR doesn't.

I'm sure if NASCAR or RFR marketing and PR department made a call it would happen. Like 99% sure.

IDK what the most popular form of music is currently but if it is country then Merle, Waylon and Johnny are spinning at a high rate of RPM's in their graves. George Jones likely is too!

Oh it's sure not that kind of country though, more like "bro country"

That's completely BS as country music is he most popular form of music right now, beating out rap. Guess there's more rednecks than you think?

LOL Where?

Is that why Country artists are rapping in their songs? Using R&B styles? Featuring pop and rock artists at the CMT Awards?

When was the last time a country artist lead the Billboard charts for 5 consecutive weeks? Idk, but I do know that Drake, a rapper, has.

A lot of 'millennial fans' would go if there was a migos, wiz khalifa, chief keef, Travis Scott, etc etc kind of person or band playing a concert on race day
Okay, my turn. 'Migos, wiz halifa, chief keef'; what the hell is that?

LOL they're all rappers. Future and Drake are popular too.
Okay, I've at least heard of Drake. (Heard OF him, not necessarily HEARD him.)

Tracks sign the concert acts, not NASCAR itself. I suspect one reason they pick older country and rock acts is because they're relatively cheap. Me, I don't care who's there. I get enough sitting on aluminum benches during the race itself without plopping down any early than I have to, usually in the middle of driver intros. I guess maybe Jimmy Buffett might draw me in, maybe, but hardly anyone else, and I can catch him at any number of venues better suited for a concert.

Provide me with a solid on track product with good door to door racing and I couldn't care less who the pre-race concert performer is, the anthem singer, the flyover, etc. Stop trying to please people who won't buy a ticket in the first place, Mr. France, and worry about those of us who DO show up, bring our binoculars and scanners and let us watch what we came for, an exciting race.

Provide me with a solid on track product with good door to door racing and I couldn't care less who the pre-race concert performer is, the anthem singer, the flyover, etc. Stop trying to please people who won't buy a ticket in the first place, Mr. France, and worry about those of us who DO show up, bring our binoculars and scanners and let us watch what we came for, an exciting race.
Exactly. I'd honestly prefer to have no pre-race festivities as it would help reduce the ticket prices.

Exactly. I'd honestly prefer to have no pre-race festivities as it would help reduce the ticket prices.

Yeah , I never understood that about the Superbowl . I'd love to get a ticket , but at halftime , i'd be wanting a hot dog , a beer , and a pee . Do they add that half time crap to the ticket price? Wouldn't the game sell out anyway?

Yeah , I never understood that about the Superbowl . I'd love to get a ticket , but at halftime , i'd be wanting a hot dog , a beer , and a pee . Do they add that half time crap to the ticket price? Wouldn't the game sell out anyway?

Nope. My cousin went to the Beyonce Bowl back in 2013, and literally that is what most the people were there for. In 2016 Before she was announced it was only $5k, for a ticket. Afterward? IF you found one, it'd be at least $$15k

Every possible expense for any sporting event is included within the ticket price - pre-race stuff, halftime stuff, and post-race stuff. The more festivities that occur and the more popular the people that are included in those festivities, the higher the ticket prices will be.

In NASCAR, getting rid of concerts and "popular" celebrities who perform before the race would probably reduce ticket prices by at least 10%. Also getting rid of things like fireworks and other visual aesthetics would help reduce prices.

Just stick with the national anthem and command to start engines, and most families would be able to afford to go to a race every year.

I remember 38 Special being at Richmond. They had 'em on a flat bed at the finish line, prerace. I've always liked their stuff but the electronics, audio - bad.

... In NASCAR, getting rid of concerts and "popular" celebrities who perform before the race would probably reduce ticket prices by at least 10%. Also getting rid of things like fireworks and other visual aesthetics would help reduce prices.
Regarding celebrities involved in pre-race ceremonies, many of them are there at no charge to the track. Often singers are there hyping their new albums. Actors who are Grand Marshals or giving the command are usually there as part of publicity tours for upcoming movies, TV, etc.

I remember 38 Special being at Richmond. They had 'em on a flat bed at the finish line, prerace. I've always liked their stuff but the electronics, audio - bad.
Anybody else remember the 'Street Beat' band, the default band that traveled with the tour? NASCAR's answer to the Washington Generals.

I never get the complaints on ticket prices and NASCAR. If you're comparing NASCAR ticket prices to your local short track on a Saturday night, sure they're way more expensive. If you compare them to other major sports they are more than reasonable.

I agree as I don't think the tickets for a Cup race are out of line at all but if you have to travel to a race it can be cost prohibitive.

I never get the complaints on ticket prices and NASCAR. If you're comparing NASCAR ticket prices to your local short track on a Saturday night, sure they're way more expensive. If you compare them to other major sports they are more than reasonable.
Depends on which market you're in, imo.

Oh, I get that. That's the reason we don't go to more races. It's not the race ticket price for us.

Darlington and Philly are approximately the same distance from where I live but it costs me more to travel to Philly to see the Eagles play then it would to head down to Darlington. The first thing I need to do before traveling to Philly is to see my banker about a lone for all the tolls and turnpikes!

BTW, congrats to the Pens for taking home the Stanley Cup. I didn't know if they were going to make the playoffs for a while but they got it done and I am happy as a clam.

Darlington and Philly are approximately the same distance from where I live but it costs me more to travel to Philly to see the Eagles play then it would to head down to Darlington. The first thing I need to do before traveling to Philly is to see my banker about a lone for all the tolls and turnpikes!

BTW, congrats to the Pens for taking home the Stanley Cup. I didn't know if they were going to make the playoffs for a while but they got it done and I am happy as a clam.
That reminds me, I have to go to the bank today as I'll be traveling the PA Turnpike tomorrow. Heading east across the state pulling my 5er. The toll is equivalent to almost a tank of diesel fuel..... each way! :eek:

Yes, the Pens win was awesome.

Yeah, I can really only speak about the local Pittsburgh market when it comes to other professional sports. NASCAR tickets though..... We've been all over the place and have always got reasonably prices tickets.
The only problem I've found with ticket prices is when I compare Daytona's prices to tracks like Atlanta or Martinsville. Atlanta was offering a triple header package with fan vision, a pit road pass, and a $25 merchandise voucher for less than the majority of the tickets at Daytona.

That's a problem.

Not really surprising considering how few people showed up for Atlanta this year compared to the sellout at Daytona.

Yeah, I can really only speak about the local Pittsburgh market when it comes to other professional sports. NASCAR tickets though..... We've been all over the place and have always got reasonably prices tickets.
Yeah, from my personal experience Homestead and Daytona are significantly more costly than going to most sporting events in Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville, and I would assume it's the same for the Miami area as well. Although, Daytona is the most prestigious track in NASCAR and Homestead obviously decides the championship (and has what I think is the smallest capacity in the Cup Series). And Florida sports fans are famously fairweather; attendance for most franchises down here isn't anything special.

I've had better luck getting tickets for Atlanta and Darlington but then you're also spending more on travel.

Not true. Rock is way more popular than country.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

Country music has become VERY mainstream though. Had to turn into rap music with banjos and pop music with cowboy hats to achieve that though. There ain't a single damn thing "country" about country music anymore. Unless you're listening to Chris Stapleton or Kacey Musgraves.

Okay, I've at least heard of Drake. (Heard OF him, not necessarily HEARD him.)

The only problem I've found with ticket prices is when I compare Daytona's prices to tracks like Atlanta or Martinsville. Atlanta was offering a triple header package with fan vision, a pit road pass, and a $25 merchandise voucher for less than the majority of the tickets at Daytona.

That's a problem.

I like Atlanta Motor Speedway but that is one ****** sports market that somehow has an NFL team, NBA team, MLB team and a NASCAR race.

My apologies for the mis-communication. My comment was not intended to mean I WANT to hear him. If / when I do, I can Google him as well as the next IT support technician.

I'm not going to condemn an entire genre solely on the little I've heard. My primary problems with rap are an inability to 'listen fast enough' to make out the words, and a lack of reference points for much of the slang used and experiences discussed.

Holy cow, I'm white and nerdy.

Not really surprising considering how few people showed up for Atlanta this year compared to the sellout at Daytona.

I can't say this with 100% certainty but I think the Daytona 500 is the only sellout but tracks with 50-55k seats probably come close.

Yeah, from my personal experience Homestead and Daytona are significantly more costly than going to most sporting events in Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville, and I would assume it's the same for the Miami area as well. Although, Daytona is the most prestigious track in NASCAR and Homestead obviously decides the championship (and has what I think is the smallest capacity in the Cup Series). And Florida sports fans are famously fairweather; attendance for most franchises down here isn't anything special.

I've had better luck getting tickets for Atlanta and Darlington but then you're also spending more on travel.

It is strange that Homestead has a capacity of around 45K seeing it determines the champ.

I like Atlanta Motor Speedway but that is one ****** sports market that somehow has an NFL team, NBA team, MLB team and a NASCAR race.

Atlanta lost a race and 2 NHL teams but is still in pretty good shape compared to cities like St Louis who lost 3 pro basketball teams and 2 NFL teams and Kansas City who lost an NHL, MLB and NBA teams.

It is strange that Homestead has a capacity of around 45K seeing it determines the champ.
A lot of capacity was lost when it was reconfigured from flat to banked, as a lot of seats were then obstructed by the giant slope in front of them and are permanently tarped off. I think at its peak Homestead could only fit somewhere in the 60-70K range. But, Miami is a terrible sports market so it makes sense.

A lot of capacity was lost when it was reconfigured from flat to banked, as a lot of seats were then obstructed by the giant slope in front of them and are permanently tarped off. I think at its peak Homestead could only fit somewhere in the 60-70K range. But, Miami is a terrible sports market so it makes sense.

I appreciate the insight as I know zippo about south Florida and even less about the greater Miami sports market. Are the 'Canes supported fairly well or is it more of just when they are doing well?

I appreciate the insight as I know zippo about south Florida and even less about the greater Miami sports market. Are the 'Canes supported fairly well or is it more of just when they are doing well?
UM doesn't have much of a fan base. For football they average 45-55K per game every season. They show up when they're in the Top 10 and when UF/FSU come to town, and that's about it. And Gators/Seminoles fans themselves make up a large portion of the increase when they go down there, the 70K+ crowds those games get are far and away the best UM has.

UM doesn't have much of a fan base. For football they average 45-55K per game every season. They show up when they're in the Top 10 and when UF/FSU come to town, and that's about it. And Gators/Seminoles fans themselves make up a large portion of the increase when they go down there, the 70K+ crowds those games get are far and away the best UM has.

I knew they drew good crowds at Doak Campbell and the Swamp so Miami must not be much of a sports town alright.

$6 dollars to watch the Dodgers in L.A.
hmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom