Jr's spin

D

DE_Wrangler_2

When Jr started fading fast with the loose wheel nuts he was really needing a caution.......bad!! :( He was, by far, one of the best cars on the track until that point and he was in very real danger of going a lap down. Then he spun..........a clean, single car 360 just out of turn 4! :) Anyone besides me have the thought that maybe he did that on purpose? I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but if he did, he did it perfectly!! Either that or some of Matt's luck rubbed off on him the last couple races!! :D

I think he spun it, He just turned it and closed his eyes and hoped for the best, and it worked out for him!

I was thinking the same thing, but I was hoping the caution wouldnt come out so his little stunt could backfire on him. :D :lol:

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Mar 28 2004, 04:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but I was hoping the caution wouldnt come out so his little stunt could backfire on him. :D :lol:
me to! :lol:

Originally posted by Lap3Forever+Mar 28 2004, 03:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lap3Forever @ Mar 28 2004, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Mar 28 2004, 04:57 PM
me to! :lol: [/b][/quote]
I gotta admit...........I was praying for the opposite!! :D I wanted the caution too. :cheers:

I was thinking the same thing. He was by himself and it was just too convenient. If he did do on purpose he pulled it off.

Great job Jr! NOW somebody say he can't drive LOL

I smell a lot of DEI bad breath coming! :D

Originally posted by kat2220@Mar 28 2004, 05:22 PM
Great job Jr! NOW somebody say he can't drive LOL

I smell a lot of DEI bad breath coming! :D
he can't drive. :p

:lol: :lol:...kidding

Pretty gutsy move, too.........oooops, that's not right!! :blink: The officials had the yellow flag in hand, just waiting!! :D

Including Jr.

That was in no way intentional for a couple of reasons:

1.Jr. isn't that smart.
2. Jr. doesn't have that much car control.

:p :p

I know...........that's why all us Jr lovers love ya!! :D But it would have been nice to see Jr up there in the mix........Kurt very well would have won it anyway but it would have been fun!! :D And, Jr might not have lost more points to Matt!! :(

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 28 2004, 06:32 PM
Including Jr.

1.Jr. isn't that smart.

:p :p
I beg to differ compadre', they just said on speed news that Jr. said on the radio he had never had to spin a car on purpose before :p. Oh yeah, and possibly a fine coming. :angry: :dual9mm:

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 28 2004, 06:46 PM
Oh oh............fines and points!! :(
I just can't see a fine coming simply because there wasn't a rule about an intentional spin in the rule book this week. I bet you won't be able to do that at Texas next week though. :rolleyes:

Well you guys have to give me credit for "scooping" speed news!! :D

And, if Jr did spin on purpose to get a caution, he deserves fines and points..............and, this is coming from a huge Jr fan!! :(

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 28 2004, 06:50 PM
And, if Jr did spin on purpose to get a caution, he deserves fines and points..............and, this is coming from a huge Jr fan!! :(
I disagree, it wasn't against the rules this week.

Naw............there's the catch all rule: "Actions detrimental to the sport"!! :(

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 28 2004, 06:56 PM
Naw............there's the catch all rule: "Actions detrimental to the sport"!! :(
Oh yeah, *bow slaps his forehead with his palm* I forgot about that one, that one covers everthing not covered. <_<

No way in hell can they ever have a rule in the book about that. Drivers will know now not to brag about it. Then NASCAR has no way of proving the driver did it on purpose.

from an article on Thats Racin.com

Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted repeatedly after Sunday's race he spun out on purpose on Lap 431 of 500 to prevent from having to pit under green and lose one or more laps.
"I had a loose wheel and I didn't have any choice but to spin the car out to get a caution. So I went down in the corner, had some clear room behind me, and I just spun it out," Earnhardt Jr. said after the race.

"The caution came out, I put the clutch in and got going. What the hell else was I supposed to do? Go a lap down? Go two laps down?"

Earnhardt Jr. also engaged in a profanity-laced exchange with his crew over his radio regarding NASCAR's decision to extend cautions late in the race to blow debris from the track. That earned Earnhardt Jr. a trip to the NASCAR hauler.

His admission of intentionally causing a caution - an act which has been penalized previously by NASCAR - did not seem to raise the ire of series director John Darby.

" 'I spun a car out' - that's a great excuse for spinning a car out, but proving that is another story," Darby said. "To brag about it is not enough for me to make a move on it."

They don't need a rule specifically stating something like that.........they have the generic rule already. If NASCAR truly believes Jr spun to get a caution and they want to fine him or fine him and take points they have the authority to do it.

Boy that'll sure feed the conspiracy folks!!

Gonna be a fun week or two!! :D :bounce: :D

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 28 2004, 07:56 PM
Naw............there's the catch all rule: "Actions detrimental to the sport"!!
what? junior doing something detrimental to stock car racing? thats not possible!!!

they played the radio on the race broadcast where he siad how he had never spun a car on purpose before
i thought it was pretty smart on his part actually...

I would agree with you on the being smart to spin to keep from going a lap down..........but it ain't smart to mention it on the radio!! Wait till you get in the hauler or something. :)

If they don't fine him or take away points, then it's not right. You can't just spin yourself out to get a caution... if so, then what Kurt Busch did to Robby in 2002 was perfectly fine!

Originally posted by bowtie+Mar 28 2004, 07:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Mar 28 2004, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Mar 28 2004, 06:32 PM
Including Jr.

1.Jr. isn't that smart.

:p  :p
I beg to differ compadre', they just said on speed news that Jr. said on the radio he had never had to spin a car on purpose before :p. Oh yeah, and possibly a fine coming. :angry: :dual9mm: [/b][/quote]
Probably because of the conversation between Jr & Tony Sr about the trucks blowing rubber up to the wall,which made the caution laps wayyy to long.

Geesh ya can't even gripe on the radio without nascar gettin their undies in a bunch now.

Oops,he said that on the radio? uh oh.

Okay, here's the full article:

That's racin article

As I reread it directly from the website, it sort of took on a new perspective.......not much, but a little bit. :) It is entirely possible that Jr did actually spin himself out to get a caution..........but then there is also the possibility that he did not and was covering up for his inability to keep from spinning. I don't know which is true. The spin did, in fact, keep Jr on the lead lap and therefore a much better finishing position. But, then it's a little hard to think a driver would actually take that chance of either the caution not coming out because is didn't hit anything and was still moving in the proper direction on the track or that he would not be plowed by some fast approaching car. I'm more inclined to believe Jr was "bragging"........but, I guess we will never know for sure. Damn I wish stuff like this would not come up.......the conspiracy folks are going to have a ball with this one!! :(

I guess my best hope is that NASCAR fines him but leaves the points alone.......but I'm willing to take anything they toss at him!! :) And I do hope they toss something at him..........just to shut the conspiracy folks up. :D

I think it's really a non issue and nascar shouldn't fine him at all.
He did it safely and didn't spin it out to take anyone out(yes it was still possible he could have)but hey if you were in his position and you wanna win a championship,you better do everything you can to do it.

Good job Jr. I'm sure daddy is smilin on ya tonight.

Senior wasn't above doin something like that hisself.

It's a different day in NASCAR, Undertaker............and I'm not completely disaggreeing with you. But, it's a loop hole in the no racing to flag rule and something needs to happen to plug it. If it don't get plugged, we are going to see more of this in the future. Perhaps right in front of the leader, taking him out and maybe many others..........I'd like to think it was an accident. And I actually thought it was when I posted this thead and I just wanted to tease and be teased about it. Oh well, that sort of went out the window, huh? :D

Yep I think he spun it also.. gutsy move for sure. Like the commentator said you make your own luck ^_^

If its ok to spin yourself out, then why isn't it ok to spin someone else out?

The risk is the same either way... anyone can get hurt.

Originally posted by slick-nick@Mar 28 2004, 08:54 PM
If its ok to spin yourself out, then why isn't it ok to spin someone else out?

The risk is the same either way... anyone can get hurt.
You're right Nick, but I'm sure it was something that they haven't thought of and are not sure hoe to react. Just like the move Burton and Stoddard pulled at the Winston a few years back, something they had'nt thought of but they make sure it doesn't happen again. <_<

Spinning yourself out is a little different than spinning someone else. True someone could get hurt (though with the safety equipment that's not really likely)............more importantly you to could take an opponent out by simply being in front of him. Cause him to check up and get hit from the rear or spin himself (but not being planned, that spin could very likely end up with a wall hit). It's a loop hole in the rule about racing to the flag.........one I haven't thought of till I saw Jr spin today. It needs to be fixed or we are going to see much more of it in the future......and by drivers less skilled than Jr!! And, as much as I hate to say it, it's a cheap trick.......hope Jr did really spin by accident, but if he didn't he needs to apologize and take any penalty thrown his way without whining and bitching.

Without the racing back to the flag rule I can see no advantage whatsoever to someone intentionally spinning themselves.....they would certainly go at least a lap down on a short track or lose way more positions than they would have had they just pitted on a superspeedway.

Back
Top Bottom