Jr's spin

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 28 2004, 08:13 PM
from an article on Thats Racin.com

Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted repeatedly after Sunday's race he spun out on purpose on Lap 431 of 500 to prevent from having to pit under green and lose one or more laps.
"I had a loose wheel and I didn't have any choice but to spin the car out to get a caution. So I went down in the corner, had some clear room behind me, and I just spun it out," Earnhardt Jr. said after the race.

"The caution came out, I put the clutch in and got going. What the hell else was I supposed to do? Go a lap down? Go two laps down?"

Earnhardt Jr. also engaged in a profanity-laced exchange with his crew over his radio regarding NASCAR's decision to extend cautions late in the race to blow debris from the track. That earned Earnhardt Jr. a trip to the NASCAR hauler.

His admission of intentionally causing a caution - an act which has been penalized previously by NASCAR - did not seem to raise the ire of series director John Darby.

" 'I spun a car out' - that's a great excuse for spinning a car out, but proving that is another story," Darby said. "To brag about it is not enough for me to make a move on it."
IF he said he spun to cause a caution, and nascar has penalized drivers for intentionally causing a caution before, I dont see how theres a question if he should be penalized or not. Rediculous

What about a fine and loss of points for cussing on the radio. i bet Johnny Sauter is going to be looking closely at what happens with that.

Do all the circles ya' can - you're still not leading the points. When the next plate race anyway?

Didn't Ricky craven try something like this in the last couple of years? Didn't he stop on the track to cause a caution? I believe they held him at least 1 lap during the caution that he did create. I guess he should have just spun around instead of stopping.

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 29 2004, 08:33 AM
Do all the circles ya' can - you're still not leading the points. When the next plate race anyway?
All that matters is staying in the top 10 until the last ten laps. An 11th place finish at bristol and 3rd in the points (41 out) is a good start to position himself in the top ten. On to Texas.

There should've never been a caution for Jr's spin, and would not have been if it was almost anyone else. Since there was, and he openly admitted several times to intentionally spinning to bring out the caution, he should be penalized.

Originally posted by Dinoforthe3+Mar 29 2004, 10:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dinoforthe3 @ Mar 29 2004, 10:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Patrick9999@Mar 29 2004, 08:33 AM
All that matters is staying in the top 10 until the last ten laps. An 11th place finish at bristol and 3rd in the points (41 out) is a good start to position himself in the top ten. On to Texas. [/b][/quote]
yeah, you're right...3rd is a good position - just not as good as two others. I believe 3rd would make you..............the 2nd loser.

I was reading around other boards about this and it really seems like many fans, including Junior's fans (surprising, huh?) feel that he should have been penalized for it, and they do have a point. He should have.

Imagine if every driver creates their own caution to benefit themselves. There would be 30 cautions by lap 50. Not to mention the risk you put others in by intentionally spinning yourself out. Spinning yourself out is the same coward act as taking a piece of sheet metal into your car and throwing it out on the track whenever you need a caution. If you look back, Busch and Craven were both penalized on the spot for creating an unnecessary caution, yet not a peep of a penalty for Junior, even though he admitted to creating the caution on purpose himself.

Once again Nascar drops the ball, but are we surprised? After all it did pertain to Junior. ;)

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Mar 29 2004, 11:24 AM
I was reading around other boards about this and it really seems like many fans, including Junior's fans (surprising, huh?) feel that he should have been penalized for it, and they do have a point. He should have.

Imagine if every driver creates their own caution to benefit themselves. There would be 30 cautions by lap 50. Not to mention the risk you put others in by intentionally spinning yourself out. Spinning yourself out is the same coward act as taking a piece of sheet metal into your car and throwing it out on the track whenever you need a caution. If you look back, Busch and Craven were both penalized on the spot for creating an unnecessary caution, yet not a peep of a penalty for Junior, even though he admitted to creating the caution on purpose himself.

Once again Nascar drops the ball, but are we surprised? After all it did pertain to Junior. ;)
That is by far the best damn message I've ever seen on this board...

and where do you think everybody gets the idea that NASCAR caters to Jr? From crap like this.

What Slick-Nick said...this type of an action can not be tolerated, this isn't about the drivers, what about the safety teams that mobilize each time a caution comes out? Imagine if one of those guys got hurt?

And, everyone say I'm a Lil'E conspiracist. With moves by NASCAR like this I may get more company. As others have said there probably shouldn't have been a caution. He hit nothing. No one was in danger. There was no debris on the track. This caution was for his benefit.
On a side note did anyone notice that for the Busch race it was Martin Truex Jr. driving Dale Earnhardt Jr's. car. They did not mention who the owner was for any of the other 42 drivers. And, this was not Truex's 1st ride in the car. What was the point in them saying this? To get a rise out of the fans for hearing Lil'E's name.
A NASCAR/media/Lil'E conspiracy, nah couldn't happen in a stand up organization like NASCAR.

Originally posted by slick-nick+Mar 29 2004, 10:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slick-nick @ Mar 29 2004, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RobbyG Fan@Mar 29 2004, 11:24 AM
I was reading around other boards about this and it really seems like many fans, including Junior's fans (surprising, huh?) feel that he should have been penalized for it, and they do have a point.  He should have. 

Imagine if every driver creates their own caution to benefit themselves.  There would be 30 cautions by lap 50.  Not to mention the risk you put others in by intentionally spinning yourself out.  Spinning yourself out is the same coward act as taking a piece of sheet metal into your car and throwing it out on the track whenever you need a caution.  If you look back, Busch and Craven were both penalized on the spot for creating an unnecessary caution, yet not a peep of a penalty for Junior, even though he admitted to creating the caution on purpose himself.

Once again Nascar drops the ball, but are we surprised?  After all it did pertain to Junior.  ;)
That is by far the best damn message I've ever seen on this board...

and where do you think everybody gets the idea that NASCAR caters to Jr? From crap like this. [/b][/quote]
Good point by all you guys.

You are exactly right, Nick and BP: Nascar is for a large part to blame for the Anti-Junior sentiment. And ,sadly, that is something a lot of Jr. fans forget. It isn't that a certian percentage of race fans woke up one day and said "Gee, I think I will start having wild conspiracy theories about Jr."---it is the simple fact that Nascar DOES seem to favor Jr. moreso than any other driver at times.

I was pretty non-commital towards Jr one way or the other until the pattern began to be clear that he has been and will be allowed more 'gray' areas than most other drivers. Jr's fans might sneer, but as you said, the kind of crap that NASCAR lets him get by with is pretty damned blatant sometimes. Parity should extend to more than just the car bodies.

Remember DW's remark after the infamous yellow line pass at 'Dega? "Nascar would have to penalize, Jr----and that would not be a popular call". One of the few statements DW has ever said that I agree with.

Little E is a favorite son and NASCAR will bend some rules to keep him in the lime light if possible, the other drivers know that he did it on purpose but most fans don't notice or care, especially his.

Originally posted by 02Pace@Mar 29 2004, 04:15 PM
Little E is a favorite son and NASCAR will bend some rules to keep him in the lime light if possible, the other drivers know that he did it on purpose but most fans don't notice or care, especially his.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by barelypure@Mar 29 2004, 12:06 PM
And, everyone say I'm a Lil'E conspiracist. With moves by NASCAR like this I may get more company. As others have said there probably shouldn't have been a caution. He hit nothing. No one was in danger. There was no debris on the track. This caution was for his benefit.
On a side note did anyone notice that for the Busch race it was Martin Truex Jr. driving Dale Earnhardt Jr's. car. They did not mention who the owner was for any of the other 42 drivers. And, this was not Truex's 1st ride in the car. What was the point in them saying this? To get a rise out of the fans for hearing Lil'E's name.
A NASCAR/media/Lil'E conspiracy, nah couldn't happen in a stand up organization like NASCAR.
OMG, I'm sure anybody that watches busch racing knows who owns the #8, theresa and dale jr., hell I knew that a couple of years ago , and I hear several times during and cup and busch race the owners of the race teams, penske,hendrick,roush,yeats,brewco,childress,gibbs,fitzbradshaw on and on.

Originally posted by 02Pace@Mar 29 2004, 01:15 PM
I care. And I'm a big Jr fan. I've called for penalties.......encluding points reduction. Don't lump everyone in a big convenient basket. :)

I think they should fine him and take points. If they don't then any driver that is about to go a lap down can spin or cause a caution. And it will be ok. :angry:

I just got home, herd on the radio today that dale jr got fined. anyone got a link to anything about it??

Something about a reporter talked to mike helton and he said "Even dale jr can't get away with everything".

He should be.........if he's not then an caution caused intentionally by any driver can not be penalized. We'll never see a car get lapped again.

If he gets fined for cussing on the radio and does not get penalized for the phony accident; then that will be the most Bass Ackwards thing Nascar has ever done. JMHO.
:(

That's Racin poll says

Should Dale Earnhardt Jr. be penalized for admittedly spinning out to bring the yellow flag?
Yes. Creating cautions is bad business.
5380 votes (62%)
No. He did what he had to do.
3027 votes (35%)
I don't know.
296 votes (3%)

8703 people have voted so far

Acording to That's Racing.com. Jr will get no fine. Jim Darby says Spinning a car and then admitting to it was not not enought for him to move on it. Why does that not suprise me. :rolleyes:

It just seems weird..

Either he did spin it on purpose, or he's just using that as a cover-up because he doesn't want anyone to think he can't drive.

This is rediculous, I guess the dj I herd was joking or something anyway. I just dont understand nascar, they have penalized drivers for intentionally causing a caution before, they have penalized drivers for bragging about breaking a rule before. Although I dont know why Im so surprised and/or outraged, this is not the first (below yellow line) and seems like it surely wont be the last.

If someone says this is not a blatent act of favortism I dont know what is.

Originally posted by smack500@Mar 30 2004, 05:47 PM
This is rediculous, I guess the dj I herd was joking or something anyway. I just dont understand nascar, they have penalized drivers for intentionally causing a caution before, they have penalized drivers for bragging about breaking a rule before. Although I dont know why Im so surprised and/or outraged, this is not the first (below yellow line) and seems like it surely wont be the last.

If someone says this is not a blatent act of favortism I dont know what is.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure that if it had been someone else they would have already been penalized. Nascar does was Nascar wants to do. they seem to be changing to rules every week.
Don't know about the rest of you guys/gals, but I'm not as excited/interested as I once was about Nascar. My Husband and I go twice a year to Dove (which we've been doing about the last 4yrs) and this year we're not renewing for Sept's race.

It seems like the last couple of seasons they have not been consistant in handing out fines and penalties. They have also shown a lot of inconsistancy in making calls during the race.
I have to be truthful and say that it is causing me to lose respect for the sport and I don't get excited about the races like I used to.

There are so many ways to cause a caution and I don't know how anyone can prove some are intentional. I honestly think that it's a smart move if he can get away with it. Keep in mind, people, that Nascar is/was and will always be about who can cheat and get away with it. However, if he gets t-boned - tough luck!!

I must say, that I've noticed in the past some cars causing cautions when they had no chance of winning the race and their teamates needed a caution for one reason or another. No proof of anything though.

If nascar lets this go you can bet that it'll open up a big mess of this becoming commonplace.

As th old saying goes..it's their job to cheat and it's the officials job to catch them, but that's nothing to do with even handedness in enforcing the rules. JMHO

For you guys that are fed up with this, well I am too. And this all coincides with the thread smack500 started, and as 97forever said, the true fans of this sport are being pushed away by the blatant favoritism and the only fans left with be the Junior fans.

I really wonder if Nascar reads stuff like this on forums like ours. I wonder if they actually care.

I would like to add though, that I know this is not jr's fault nor am I blaming anything on him. My anger is towards nascar and there inability to be consistant, especially when hes involved.

Just wanted to make sure the jr fans know this thread is not a jr bash or anything.

Conspiracy with Dale Jr?? Remember the good old Jeff Gordon days? Some people thought there was a conspiracy there, I thought there was.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 28 2004, 08:13 PM
from an article on Thats Racin.com

Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted repeatedly after Sunday's race he spun out on purpose on Lap 431 of 500 to prevent from having to pit under green and lose one or more laps.
"I had a loose wheel and I didn't have any choice but to spin the car out to get a caution. So I went down in the corner, had some clear room behind me, and I just spun it out," Earnhardt Jr. said after the race.

"The caution came out, I put the clutch in and got going. What the hell else was I supposed to do? Go a lap down? Go two laps down?"

Earnhardt Jr. also engaged in a profanity-laced exchange with his crew over his radio regarding NASCAR's decision to extend cautions late in the race to blow debris from the track. That earned Earnhardt Jr. a trip to the NASCAR hauler.

His admission of intentionally causing a caution - an act which has been penalized previously by NASCAR - did not seem to raise the ire of series director John Darby.

" 'I spun a car out' - that's a great excuse for spinning a car out, but proving that is another story," Darby said. "To brag about it is not enough for me to make a move on it."
Thats right He ALREADY Admitted it and that makes him Guilty as Charged It shouldnt be any different for him than it was for Kurt Busch a few years ago He admitted it and Should be penalized

Originally posted by slick-nick@Mar 30 2004, 12:17 PM
It just seems weird..

Either he did spin it on purpose, or he's just using that as a cover-up because he doesn't want anyone to think he can't drive.
I dont think its the case of people thinking he cant drive I mean Come on He has had his share of accidents

$10,000 fine and 25 points....looks like they are making a statement.

Conspiracy with Dale Jr?? Remember the good old Jeff Gordon days? Some people thought there was a conspiracy there, I thought there was.

The good old days when it was my guy being attacked and not yours?
26.gif

Sorry, not picking on you, I've been thinking along those lines too. :D

Originally posted by smack500@Mar 30 2004, 11:18 PM
I would like to add though, that I know this is not jr's fault nor am I blaming anything on him. My anger is towards nascar and there inability to be consistant, especially when hes involved.

Just wanted to make sure the jr fans know this thread is not a jr bash or anything.
This thread was not started as a Jr bashing thread..............I started, thinking it would be fun (and I ain't gonna bash anyone, especially Jr). But at the time I started it I had no idea that Jr did, in fact, spin intentionally. I'll wait next time.

No kidding, Wrangler. Ironic how it worked out. I swear I would have never thought Jr capable of pulling such a smooth spin off intentionally. I thought he was just bragging up and saving face for losing it accidentally.

hell better freeze over before he does another dumba$$ stunt like that.

Back
Top Bottom