Missing Jimmy...

R

redrock

O.K., I'll admit I was never a big Jimmy Spencer fan, but...I do miss his colorfullness and antics. Like him or not it was guys like that who made Nascar's top level entertaining.

The new breed of young guns seem to spend more time telling us on TV how they had a top 20 car, but it was one of those racing 'deals' that put the ____, sponsored car out today...yea, yea, yea...Jimmy would have just punched someone! :lol:

Does anybody else think Nascar needs more character?

Mr. Excrement was one of a kind, no doubt about it!

I miss Dick Trickle and his smoking while racing. Man, those guys were just a different breed!

Nascar and its drivers are too PC now. Too busy concerned about pleasing the masses... they need to just be themselves! Blah, I wish I was out there, Id cause some drama. :D

Nascar definately needs some throwbacks. No more open face helments, no smoking under caution, no more post race confrontations. What is this world coming too?

Originally posted by redrock@Mar 16 2004, 02:55 PM
Like him or not it was guys like that who made Nascar's top level entertaining.

With 3 races into the season, I haven't even thought about Spencer until this post. Don't like him at all, and don't consider him entertaining. That's just my 2cents.

I hate to admit it, also, but until I saw this thread, I hadn't thought about Jimmy not driving a Cup car. :(

I would like to see some colorful characters back in racing, but since the powers that be are trying to appeal to the masses, what we get is PC bullfeathers. :p

It seems like the more this sport changes the less comes out from it. The interviews from the young guns are just plain borring, take for example Kasey Kahne. I miss Jimmy out there, and wish that Smith could come up for a sponsor for his ride. The same goes for sponsorless Bill...

Jimmy is a colorful character, but that certainly isn't what NASCAR is looking for in a driver. Besides, even though I do like the guy for some reason, he isn't really that talented of a driver. ^_^

I miss him too, I liked the guy as a person because he kept that "boy" in line. He was a colorful character and these new young drivers never seem to create the entertainment that he did.

Hopefully he comes back for that time when we have Michigan/Bristol. God I truly miss that man !

I haven't even thought about Spencer. But Nascar likes when the older guys like Spencer and Awsome Bill get out and leave room for the young guns that look good on camera. And Commericals. :lol:

I would like to hear from our old friend Brand X Guy on this subject!

P.S Jimmy Rules !!!!!

Well some of you guys know how I feel about Jimmy. :D I miss him too.........and unlike most of y'all I think he is more talented than given credit for. He's never had a good ride except that stint in Ganassi (though I tend to disagree about just how good Ganassi's teams are).........Chip put all his eggs in Sterling's basket that year and dumped Jimmy for poor performance. Pretty hard to perform when all you got is dregs left from Sterling's ride. I miss him.........wish and hope something breaks for him soon. :(

And I keep hearing that NASCAR pushed him out.....him and other "old timers". I rather think it's the sponsors that are pushing, not NASCAR. :)

Some would say he had a pretty good ride when he was with Junior Johnson, Wrangler. :) He did win twice with Johnson anyhow, granted Junior was already on a downhill slide when Jimmy drove for him.

Originally posted by 97forever@Mar 16 2004, 04:17 PM
:) He did win twice with Johnson anyhow, granted Junior was already on a downhill slide when Jimmy drove for him.
And the point is........he won!! :D And Junior was in the process of hanging it up too!! I say, again, he's better than most anyone will give credit for. :D

Also remember Jimmy ran pretty good when he drove for my main man Bobby Allison way back. What was that sponosr...Meineke Mufflers?

Damn.............I forgot about that!! :D I think you're right.......Meineke Mufflers! :cheers:

Yeah...it was.
bam-jimmyspencer.jpg

Thanks buddy!! Now I'm going to feel bad when Kurt tests the new SAFER barrier next weekend!! :D

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

<_< <_< :p

Kurt's gonna run good old buddy! I have that feeling! :cheers: (I just can't see narrowing the Darlington track myself.......)

Hey DE, I am one of the few that can say they saw Spencer win live and in person at Dega, If I'm not mistaken Bill Elliott ran second to Spencer that day in The number 11 Budwieser car.

That was the second race I had ever attended, and the were both sad. The first was when Davey died. Liz and their kids were standing in the infield and Donnie Allison drove Davey's car around the track, alot of tears were shed that day. :( And Spencer won the second one I went to, alot of tears were shed that day to. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kinda like Jimmy Spencer. He wasn't ever my top dog or anything, but he was more palatable than a whole peck of drivers.

He was tough in a modified car...which a lot of his Cup cars resembled after he got done with them come to think of it...

To be perfectly honest, I too miss Jimmy!!!
I was never a fan of ole DE, either, but I respected him and miss the heck out of
him even more than I thought I would.
NASCAR has already stated they would like to see the "oldies" retire and bring in the young guns.
sigh.................................................................

Originally posted by dragonlady424@Mar 16 2004, 06:25 PM
NASCAR has already stated they would like to see the "oldies" retire and bring in the young guns.
sigh.................................................................
Oh boy!! I'm gonna have to ask where you heard or read that "statement". :)

I've never read or heard it..............I've heard a lot of "fans" make that statement and attribute to NASCAR but never from the NASCAR organization. I find it really difficult to believe........there are two reasons (mainly):

1. NASCAR is interested in fans.........and making a statement like that would definitely send a whole lot of fans packing.
2. NASCAR's way too politically correct to make such a statement even if they truly believed it.

Sorry to call you on that, but I just had to. It amazes me that people will say things like that and still claim to be fans.

In short, until someone points me to a credible source for claims like that I'm going call it for what I truly believe it to be.......... :bslfag:

Sorry, DE Wrangler, It was on NOL.com and it was during an interview with Rusty Wallace.
Hang tight and I will find the link and post it here.
Sorry.

This was posted by the "Lady In Black" at Racinginsider.com

By Patty Kay

March 8, 2004

Well, given the present youth movement within the NASCAR ranks, both on the track and on the television, I suppose that it had to happen. <span style='color:red'><span style='font-family:Arial'>According to Rusty Wallace, in a quote given to a very well respected journalist, "NASCAR has suggested to many, many people that some drivers cut back to partial schedules</span></span>." This would be the same NASCAR already filling its fields with has-beens and wannabes because good teams cannot find sponsorship; the same NASCAR where Jimmy Spencer, Johnny Benson and Dave Blaney sit on the sidelines watching Morgan Shepherd or Kirk Shelmerdine race in cars that are far less than competitive.

Most of the older drivers in question are currently running with competitive teams and full sponsorship. There are several aging (but not dead) drivers on the circuit, including the likes of Sterling Marlin, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Ricky Rudd, Dale Jarrett, Terry LaBonte and Ken Schrader. Those seven drivers alone account for four Cup Championships and I wouldn't even begin to guess how many aggregate wins.

We can't have the likes of them cluttering up the track for much longer. We need to make room on the track for more young guns (I hate that term) like Shane Hmiel, Scott Wimmer and Kevin Grubb. Upstanding sportsmen with family values and morals that stem from a better time need not apply.

Good grief, it seems that everyone in Daytona has gone completely 'round the bend. It must be something in the water down there. These drivers are not stupid, despite your corporate opinion, and they will all be gone soon enough of their own volition. Your foot in their posterior is not necessary, nor will it be well received by the wide fan base that has followed them for years. There is a little thing called the rule of unintended consequences and it might just rise up to bite you on this one.

Surprising as it may be, there are many young race fans that follow the aforementioned septet and patronize their souvenir trailers, along of course with a vast number of us old farts. It is one thing to kill our historical tracks and blame it on progress (spelled m-o-n-e-y), but it's quite another to insult, mistreat or dismiss as unimportant, our drivers. If fans of all ages stop coming to the track, the money stops filling NASCAR's ever-enlarging pockets. Think it over carefully.

Probably a precursor rather than a result of these quiet little conversations are talk and rumors of a "Senior Circuit" much as we see now in the PGA. When one hears rumors circulating in the garage, there usually tends to be more than just a grain of truth in them, no matter how vehemently they are denied. Who knows, maybe a Senior Circuit would be a welcome replacement for what seems to be an ever-ailing Busch Series, but membership should be voluntary, not mandatory.

It's not the writer's intention to in any way put down the younger generation, but by the same token, drivers in their mid-forties are not old by definition and don't need to be replaced like a set of worn out brake linings. Stock car racing, like any other sport, will always see the young replace the old. That is simply the way of the world. Still, the replacement should be gradual and consensual, not a wholesale housecleaning in favor of children that are still too youthful to qualify as one of the Gillette Young Guns. Their turn will come soon enough.

The seven drivers that I mentioned earlier, and several more that are right behind them on the age scale, have more than paid their dues in this sport. They deserve the right to choose their own time for hanging up the helmet and settling into the rocking chair. With a few notable exceptions like the King and Ol' DW, most drivers know when their glory days have ended and retire gracefully into the history books. Those who do not, wind up looking like pathetic caricatures of their former selves and serve only to evoke pity.

Most, if not all of the drivers in question have already begun to talk about a life without racing and in at least one case (Mark Martin), there is already a replacement waiting in the wings to take over. (Carl Edwards, as announced by Jack Roush) This writer is danged if she can see any purpose to shoving them out the door one minute before they are ready to leave. Not one of them is "Too old to cut the mustard" and indeed most or all of them still cut a mean figure on the racetrack.

One doesn't even have to wonder what the scene would have been like, had some suit from Daytona suggested or even hinted that the late Dale Earnhardt might like to sun the soles of his shoes while someone else drove that old #3, but I surely would have liked the ticket concession for it.

Be well gentle readers, and remember to keep smiling. It looks so good on you.

~Patty Kay

You can contact Patty Kay at.. Insider Racing News

Hey DE Wrangler, you drive a primed chevy pick up? I was in Torrance the other day on Sepulveda Blvd and seen this truck with 3 in one window and 8 in the other and an Ironworkers union sticker on the bumper and thought of you. :D

That "very well respected journalist" is a woman named Lee Spencer. She's an internet blog. Not known for her accuracy in reporting. I've read a number of her rants...........she's no "respected journalist".

Besides that ain't from the NASCAR organization. And I've never heard of Patty Kay but I have read some things in Insider Racing (as a matter of fact I have the site saved to my favorites). Again, those people are just blogs.......take what they write with a grain of salt. If they are paid at all, they're paid very little. They are amateurs writing for websites mostly for the fun of it..........much like what we do here. :)

Originally posted by Eagle1@Mar 16 2004, 07:25 PM
Hey DE Wrangler, you drive a primed chevy pick up? I was in Torrance the other day on Sepulveda Blvd and seen this truck with 3 in one window and 8 in the other and an Ironworkers union sticker on the bumper and thought of you. :D
Nope...............a tan 83 F-250!! Just a NASCAR sticker on one side of the back window and a big American flag on the other. Ain't no union member either!! :D Closest I've been to Torrance in the last few weeks is Santa Monica!! Sorry. :D

I do miss Jimmy Spencer on and off the track,He's a better driver than most fans give Him credit for,especially on the short tracks where He usually shined. ;)

Maybe all is not lost!!! :bounce:

Plucked from Jayski's just a few minutes ago!! :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spencer to the #09 car? Jimmy Spencer is out looking for a full-time Nextel Cup ride and #09 car owner James Finch, a man that Spencer has worked for in the past, is looking at a more full-time operation that he's run lately, and the two could be teaming up. Finch has been a cherry-picker in the past, looking for a few good races. This season he's made all four so far, with Joe Ruttman [and Johnny Benson].(Winston Salem Journal)(3-15-2004)

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Mar 17 2004, 12:22 AM
Maybe all is not lost!!! :bounce:

Plucked from Jayski's just a few minutes ago!! :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spencer to the #09 car? Jimmy Spencer is out looking for a full-time Nextel Cup ride and #09 car owner James Finch, a man that Spencer has worked for in the past, is looking at a more full-time operation that he's run lately, and the two could be teaming up. Finch has been a cherry-picker in the past, looking for a few good races. This season he's made all four so far, with Joe Ruttman [and Johnny Benson].(Winston Salem Journal)(3-15-2004)
That'd be good news,hope it comes to fruition,perhaps as early as the first Bristol race would be great :D
Might not be up to Johnny Benson's talent level(?),but surely Jimmy is a far more capable driver than Joe Ruttman ;)

Thanks for the update DE_Wrangler_2

Jimmy and Johnny are probably on par with each other............very different styles though!! :D Sure would be nice to see our doughnut boy back in a car!!

Back
Top Bottom