NFL 2023-2024

The Lions have a shot at a Super Bowl but Jared Goff has to really take over like he did to open the season against Kansas City.

Well they were certainly committed to winning it in regulation.

Agree with Aikman, the first play design had to have been scripted and worked on all week as a set 2PT play. Very odd that the Lions wouldn’t have fleshed out every single aspect of it. Crazy that the refs could’ve picked any of three different penalties to call.

I’m speechless! Just glad we’re still going to the playoffs, but man! Goff needs to be more consistent! I’ve supported him, but man he makes too many costly mistakes.

I don’t really mind Campbell deciding to go for it. Typically you don’t want to extend a game as an underdog on the road, and you want to strike while the iron is hot and you have a lot of faith in your offense. One play from three and a half yards out isn’t a bad attempt.

Probably would’ve been nice to take points to make it 7-6 in the second quarter though.

Probably would’ve been nice to take points to make it 7-6 in the second quarter though.

This is what pisses me off about Pederson. It can be a close game in the first half and he'll leave points on the board.

Granted, Brandon McManus is terrible so he probably has to go for six every time.

I don’t really mind Campbell deciding to go for it. Typically you don’t want to extend a game as an underdog on the road, and you want to strike while the iron is hot and you have a lot of faith in your offense. One play from three and a half yards out isn’t a bad attempt.

I have to respectfully but seriously disagree. Especially on the subsequent attempts, when you lost your ace up your sleeve play. I don't even like the initial call, to be honest. Whatever analytics might suggest, the situation feels like a 40-45% success rate. That might be a tad optimistic with Goff. Given the game that preceded it, I don't think it makes logical sense to hinge your chances on one play.

Jokes aside, I'm having a hard time distinguishing Dan Campbell's "strategy" from Brandon Staley's.

I have to respectfully but seriously disagree. Especially on the subsequent attempts, when you lost your ace up your sleeve play. I don't even like the initial call, to be honest. Whatever analytics might suggest, the situation feels like a 40-45% success rate. That might be a tad optimistic with Goff. Given the game that preceded it, I don't think it makes logical sense to hinge your chances on one play.

Jokes aside, I'm having a hard time distinguishing Dan Campbell's "strategy" from Brandon Staley's.

I don't know the Lions' success rate on 2-pt conversions, but I'm willing to bet it's greater than 50% for the year. I think the league average is generally above that.

If that game goes to overtime, do the Lions have a >50% chance to win? I don't think so.

The initial call to go for 2 was the right decision, IMO. After the penalty, I think they should have kicked it.

68 definitely reported eligible. He literally went right up to the official and reported. This was a blatant robbery. Cmon you guys

Proof? Regardless, these teams are always at the mercy of the refs. You just hope to play good enough to overcome all the bad calls.

Well, that is pretty bad. Formation looks legal too. 7 men on the LOS. I think they claimed Reynolds covered up #68, but he’s off the line. Will be very interested to see if the league issues a statement, because this looks baaaaad.

I don't know the Lions' success rate on 2-pt conversions, but I'm willing to bet it's greater than 50% for the year. I think the league average is generally above that.

If that game goes to overtime, do the Lions have a >50% chance to win? I don't think so.

The initial call to go for 2 was the right decision, IMO. After the penalty, I think they should have kicked it.

I've tried to find team and league wide stats before, and it's surprisingly hard to find. If this is accurate, and it probably doesn't include what just occurred, the Lions were 60% overall this year on two point conversion attempts. Amusingly, 100% at home, and 0% on the road. This seems to translate to 3/3 at home and 0/2 (now 0/3?) on the road.

I understand your argument, and it's well put. I just don't agree with gambling on a single play unless you believe your chances are severely worse to win in OT.

I wonder if the head referee mixed up Decker with #68? Only thing I can really think of. Decker was late to report.

Final thought before hitting the sack.

Had this game been a playoff game or determined whether we made the playoffs or not, this game would have been the most disappointing loss I’ve ever experienced as a Detroit fan. Still top 3 though, ranking up there with the Green Bay Hail Mary and Justin Tuckers like 100 yard field goal.

Proof? Regardless, these teams are always at the mercy of the refs. You just hope to play good enough to overcome all the bad calls.
It's been all over ESPN. He goes right up to the official. Goff just said he doesn't care if he gets fined but he knows for a fact Decker reported because he told him to. Then Decker walked over and reported. The ref screwed up. Was it a malicious rigging? Or just a massive screw up?

Apparently this is the same crew that got, like, four different calls wrong on the final drive of the Chiefs/Packers game. So they’re nothing if not consistent.

I'm still waiting for something huge to happen that forces the NFL to finally do something about their terrible officiating.

When Nickell Robey-Coleman (Rams) took out Tommylee Lewis (Saints) during the NFC title game back in 2018 or whenever, I figured that would cause enough of an uproar to make a real, positive change. Nope! They came up with some lame ass "challenge PI" option for one year only.....and it was never successful.

I feel like the refs affect the outcome of multiple games throughout every season with their incompetence, and there's always one big headliner every year, yet nothing ever changes. Goodell is a clown and I wish the owners would take a stand against him for the sake of the game.

It's been all over ESPN. He goes right up to the official. Goff just said he doesn't care if he gets fined but he knows for a fact Decker reported because he told him to. Then Decker walked over and reported. The ref screwed up. Was it a malicious rigging? Or just a massive screw up?

Generally, do not attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity / incompetence.

The malicious part is that the NFL owners don't really care, and won't until this willful incompetence and lack of adequate review practices ruin a Super Bowl result.

Sounds like the ref did in fact mix the numbers up. Woof. Skipper (#70) actually didn’t report at all, but was announced as such.

Well they were certainly committed to winning it in regulation.

Agree with Aikman, the first play design had to have been scripted and worked on all week as a set 2PT play. Very odd that the Lions wouldn’t have fleshed out every single aspect of it. Crazy that the refs could’ve picked any of three different penalties to call.
Turns out the Lions thought it out really well. Just really **** luck. Damn.

#70 wasn't even in a spot to report eligible. It's so obvious to everyone that #68 reported eligible. Well, everyone but the refs. Just an unbelievable robbery.

Plus the refs threw the flag like 15 seconds after the play

#70 wasn't even in a spot to report eligible. It's so obvious to everyone that #68 reported eligible. Well, everyone but the refs. Just an unbelievable robbery.

Too many games ending this way this year.

Las Vegas calling the shots.

#70 ran up to the ref and in a close up shot you can see the ref nodding. Wonder if he said he wasn’t reporting and the ref heard that he was? That must’ve been when the confusion occurred. Though I’m not really sure how you ignore #68 standing right next to you the whole time.

I think the Lions tried to run interference with multiple linemen to confuse the Cowboys and unfortunately it got the officiating crew as well.

It is probably just time to ensure this crew doesn’t get any playoff assignments. They’ve been dreadful all season.

Back
Top Bottom