Rate the race Talladega II

8, would of been higher but I didn't need the 2 to win or the 20 to finish 2nd.:mad:

How do you figure?
Danica was in prime position when the caution came out in the middle of that green flag pit sequence. She was leading and then was ahead of Johnson coming off of pit road. When the caution came out, it trapped her in like 6th or 8th or something behind a bunch of other guys. Then they all just abandoned her on that restart.

I'm not saying she would have won - not at all - but it would have been interesting to see how it would have unfolded had it stayed green the whole time.

Danica was in prime position when the caution came out in the middle of that green flag pit sequence. She was leading and then was ahead of Johnson coming off of pit road. When the caution came out, it trapped her in like 6th or 8th or something behind a bunch of other guys. Then they all just abandoned her on that restart.

I'm not saying she would have won - not at all - but it would have been interesting to see how it would have unfolded had it stayed green the whole time.

So she was leading but still needed to pit when Larson spun, right?

I'm guessing you've never driven on a high banked super speedway. I've driven on Texas Motor Speedway, drove 4 laps in my 93 For Taurus averaged 109mph. I was driving with 5 other guys driving in their Lincoln LSs. I can't imagine driving with 30 cars, 3 wide, at 200mph without crashing. Talladega usually is a crash fest. Watching these professionals drive so close to one and other made this race even more exciting/nerve racking. Only other Talladega race I can think was this exciting was the 96 race that had only 3 cautions, one for rain. You could have watched the NFL ya know.

Well, driving a car yourself and watching the race are different experiences, so you can't say you have to try one before you can judge the other, right? Driving a car on a speedway yourself may change how you see racing, but it can't keep you from criticizing certain things about the race, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
So she was leading but still needed to pit when Larson spun, right?
Everyone needed to pit one more time, including Danica, and they all started doing so before Larson spun. She led the lead pack onto pit road, and right after they had made their stops, the caution came out, interrupting the green flag pit cycle. If I'm not mistaken, Danica also led the lead pack off of pit road - I know she came out ahead of Johnson and others. Had everything cycled through properly, she would have been leading again, unless there was someone else that got off pit road ahead of her that I didn't see.

Again, assuming that she did indeed get off of pit road first, I'm not saying she would definitely have won - just that she was in great position at that moment.

Everyone needed to pit one more time, including Danica, and they all started doing so before Larson spun. She led the lead pack onto pit road, and right after they had made their stops, the caution came out, interrupting the green flag pit cycle. If I'm not mistaken, Danica also led the lead pack off of pit road - I know she came out ahead of Johnson and others. Had everything cycled through properly, she would have been leading again, unless there was someone else that got off pit road ahead of her that I didn't see.

Again, assuming that she did indeed get off of pit road first, I'm not saying she would definitely have won - just that she was in great position at that moment.

OK, now I understand. I thought she took the lead because the cars in front of her pitted. She did make a nice move at the end, but someone jumped in front of her and killed her momentum.

Bottom line though is the yellow hurt Brad as much as it hurt Danica.

OK, now I understand. I thought she took the lead because the cars in front of her pitted. She did make a nice move at the end, but someone jumped in front of her and killed her momentum.

Bottom line though is the yellow hurt Brad as much as it hurt Danica.
Yeah, that was just horrible timing on that caution, period. But it hurt Danica more because, realistically, that was probably her last shot to win a race this year. I love her, but that's the truth.

So she did gain the lead by pitting late. She would have cycled back without the spin.

In my memory, No. I could be wrong, but I thought She pitted late enough that I think she was gonna try and stretch it

Race = 10, one of the best races I have seen at Dega in a while
Winner = 100, You guys already know :D
Broadcast = 10, ESPN is doing the best job they have in the 8 years since they came back

I gotta' go with the freak on this one. He watches her every move.
LOL.

I'm confused. Are we just talking about how she originally got the lead, or what happened on that last pit stop right before the caution? I have no clue how she initially got the lead, but I know she made her last pit stop from the lead, and the other guys that were up front pitted with her. Then the caution came out right after they got done.

LOL.

I'm confused. Are we just talking about how she originally got the lead, or what happened on that last pit stop right before the caution? I have no clue how she initially got the lead, but I know she made her last pit stop from the lead, and the other guys that were up front pitted with her. Then the caution came out right after they got done.

DF said she got to the front when the leaders pitted, then all that other stuff happened. She would have gotten shuffled back even without the caution. Most of the guys who came out in front of her would have ended up there thru a full green flag pit cycle.

DF said she got to the front when the leaders pitted, then all that other stuff happened. She would have gotten shuffled back even without the caution.
So, if that's true, I guess Johnson and all those people that were in the lead pack at the time and pitted with her would have been screwed without the caution too, right? They were all on their last pit stop when they came down pit road together.

So, if that's true, I guess Johnson and all those people that were in the lead pack at the time and pitted with her would have been screwed without the caution too, right? They all only had to make one more stop.

Yes. I think JJ also moved up from mid pack when others hit the pits, or he messed up and didn't pit with the leaders like you need to at Talladega.

Yes. I think JJ also moved up from mid pack when others hit the pits, or he messed up and didn't pit with the leaders like you need to at Talladega.
And now it all makes sense. I could smell the smoke coming from the gears frantically turning within my head.

Thanks for the clarification, y'all.

I saw Danica come into the pits leading..jammed up everybody, left third or fourth, and after the restart fell way back like 20th?
I thought she left pit road first. I guess I'm not always right after all. :D

She always seems to fall back on restarts, but yeah, they all just abandoned her and she dropped like a boat anchor on that one.

DF said she got to the front when the leaders pitted, then all that other stuff happened. She would have gotten shuffled back even without the caution. Most of the guys who came out in front of her would have ended up there thru a full green flag pit cycle.

Truex gave her the main push to the front. She lead her 7 laps, caution came out and she was shuffled after pitting

Last edited:
Truex gave her the main push to the front. She lead her 7 laps, caution came out and she was shuffled after pitting

right. Point is, she didn't pass the leaders until that group pitted. Yellow came out just after leaders pitted, so the green flag cycle was interrupted.

I think she could have gotten back near the front if someone had jumped behind her on that last restart, instead of in front of her. Whoever that was just stalled and never went anywhere. Black car. May have been Truex Jr.

Liked the outcome but really hate the fact they line up and can't draft past like they did years ago.
And hate the admitted blocking, it sucks, looks awful.
And the chase is stupid. Losing some of the best cars.
Some also ran can stumble into the "championship".

Back
Top Bottom