Rate the race

well, all my drivers sucked, the track fell apart.....not a good race IMO so im not even going to rate it just yet.

I too love the short tracks and if it wasn't for that dang pot hole....it would have been perfect! LOL....but happy for Rusty, it's been a long time coming and he never gave up! ;)

Except for Harvick getting punted and then caught up in a wreck it was apretty good race I 'll give it a 8.

I give it a 9.

Tons of great racing, time to go pick weeds in the yard becuase of the pothole, Jimmie somehow getting a top 5, and Rusty getting a win.

Not bad.

Wasn't the best race I've ever seen but wasn't the worst. Ward did terrible, but was very happy for Rusty. I also love short tracks so I give it a 7.

I do believe that this is the best race rated by myself and y'all so far this season!

Well I do believe the race was Jeffy's until the pothole..........Jr might have given him a good run, but Gordon had the car to beat all day. Too bad Martinsville's management doesn't see fit to maintain the track properly.........there's really no excuse for the concrete breaking up like that at probably the biggest event for that track of the year. They obviously do a great job for spectator amenities and landscaping......but that is secondary to having a facility for their top attraction. Hope they address this problem real soon.

I'll give it an 8 even though my favorite driver finished 6th. He still moved up in points...all in all...a fair day's work.

Didn't they mention a track re-pavement/repair during the 'break'???

They definitly need to make sure this is a one time occurance!

Originally posted by Lap3Forever@Apr 18 2004, 07:00 PM
well, all my drivers sucked, the track fell apart.....not a good race IMO so im not even going to rate it just yet.
Your DAWGS won't hunt?

Originally posted by Splunge@Apr 18 2004, 07:51 PM

Yes, they did......The RR tracks will also be moved to make room for the potential new seating. All the renovations will start soon and be completed before the next race.

Safer Walls will also be in place, but not until after the fall race.

But I bet ripping up the old aged concrete and replacing it is not part of the "improvements" for the track. But, heck that would most likely change the track's character............and we can't have any of that now (tradition, ya know). Let's just let the cars rip it up for us and we'll eventually get a track paved with epoxy. :(

Martinsville's management should be ashamed of themselves for their negligence.......I'll bet they aren't even embarrassed.

I loved what I saw of the race. I went golfing after they finally came back from the real long delay.

But Martinsville is my favorite track. I love short track racing. Jeff dominated until the damage from the track falling apart.

It was nice to see Rusty finally get another win. His fans were probably starting to wonder if it would ever happen again. :unsure:

I am very happy for Rusty's fans and Jeff moved up 2 places in the standings. Not a bad day at the track at all :D

I love Martinsville, and typical kind of racing I like, 9 though since Ward didnt do as well as I thought he would.

Originally posted by Splunge@Apr 18 2004, 03:51 PM

They say it will be repaved. my question is will it be a combo of asphalt and concrete like it is now or will it be all asfault or all concrete? or better yet all epoxy?

Please correct my spelling of asphalt.(edit: corrected asfault=asphalt)

And as for the repaving..............I heard resurfacing. Which means to me that they will take up a little of the asphalt and pave over it (that's at the best) or they will reseal it..........which just screws the track surface up for a season or two then they are right back where they were before they resealed. The entire track needs ripping up and completely redone. That would be cheaper than moving the railroad tracks.

I say put some new concrete in...make it nice and smooth and let those guys race sideways!

Hopefully they will invest what it takes to do it right! Something tells me potholes and high speed are like pigs and horses...they don't mix well...

Let's go back to the bias belted tires.....then they could do that sideways racing!! :D :cheers:

Oh, DEW, I would love to see those right rears smokin' like they used to. LOL

Have some old Bristol tapes --- man, those tires smoked. And, the racing was up next to the wall.

Oh, I remember TRL.............I remember!! :D :D Good old days! :cheers:

And all the griping by those two about the radials ruining the races!! :D They absolutely hated those radials. :)

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Apr 18 2004, 08:57 PM
Oh, DEW, I would love to see those right rears smokin' like they used to. LOL

Have some old Bristol tapes --- man, those tires smoked. And, the racing was up next to the wall.
I've seen some of those old races too, it took a man to horse those cars around back then.

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2@Apr 18 2004, 09:45 PM
And as for the repaving..............I heard resurfacing. Which means to me that they will take up a little of the asphalt and pave over it (that's at the best) or they will reseal it..........which just screws the track surface up for a season or two then they are right back where they were before they resealed. The entire track needs ripping up and completely redone. That would be cheaper than moving the railroad tracks.
The RR co is paying to relocate the choo-choo tracks I think.

As to the repaving, I think they have enough time to dig it up and plant a new surface.

They should have planty of time to resurface. The other Martinsville race isn't until the middle of October every year. That gives them what, six months?

Oh, I think someone is dreaming here. Why would the RR choose to move the tracks at their expense when the tracks are just fine where they are located right now? It's the track that wants more room..........the RR has all the room they need. They ain't paying.....believe me. :)

From what I heard on local radio last time I was there for a race, the city or county government was trying to work out a deal where they would pay to move the tracks in exchange for additional revenue they stand to earn with more people attending the races. Local government has been under pressure from the locals to help the track generate more revenue including keeping the second date they have now.

I obviously don't know if that is what ended up happening, but that is what I was hearing down there.

I don't know if you have ever been to Martinsville, but there isn't much there besides the track and a Walmart. That track is a very important part of their community.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Apr 18 2004, 10:35 PM
From what I heard on local radio last time I was there for a race, the city or county government was trying to work out a deal where they would pay to move the tracks in exchange for additional revenue they stand to earn with more people attending the races. Local government has been under pressure from the locals to help the track generate more revenue including keeping the second date they have now.

I obviously don't know if that is what ended up happening, but that is what I was hearing down there.
Thank you, and the RR co (from what I heard and read) is more than willing to move the tracks to the other side of the hill

So the track with a little county help is going to move the tracks?

Good...........at least a little tax payer dollars are being spent to help increase revenues. And the RR wins too.......they get good press and it don't cost them a dime. Shipping and passenger costs don't go up. Pretty good deal all around..........if true. :D

Back
Top Bottom