Robert Yates Dead at 74

I hate it. :(

R.I.P. Mr Yates
RobertYates2005.jpg

R.I.P. Mr. Yates. Absolutely respect and adore this family. Pure class.

Very sad. Grew up watching the iconic Texaco #28 car. When I think of NASCAR's golden age, I think of those guys.

RIP

Godspeed Robert Yates. A giant of the sport, and one of my favorite sports people ever. And I'll add, the black Texaco 28 is pure racecar beauty...

Robert Yates.jpg
DaveyAllisonRobertYatesTexaco28.jpg

Davey was before my time. I missed Robert's crew chief days and knew of him as an owner and engine builder. I associate him with Ernie Irvan, Ricky Rudd, Elliott Sadler, and of course Dale Jarrett's championship.

That 28 car was always tough regardless who was driving. Guy could build mean engines. True NASCAR legend.

RIP Mr Yates. 28 will always make me think of your power pushing Davey to the front. Shame he and Ernie never got to reach their peaks with you. Would have had a few more titles possibly. God speed!

He was always a ''standup guy''...... I can never ever remember a disparaging remark about him...... revered by everyone in the garage..... that says a lot for his character.....

Maybe the best compliment to his engine and car building prowess was in the last race of '90 when Jack Roush rented one of Robert's cars for Mark to drive..... he evidently had a lot of faith in Yates cars...... It didn't work out too good ...........but....... it was a roll of the dice that Jack thought was worth doing......

:(

Back
Top Bottom